Titanium backup vs. rom manager for captivate?

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
What is the difference and which one should I use for backing up my captivate? I currently have both installed on my phone, do I need both? The rom manager does not work (kernal issues?)? Anyone have experience with both?

Reactions: melvinaury

gmanunited

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Use Titanium Backup only if you have rooted your phone. Rom Manager is for changing Roms on your device not entirely for backing up your device. Read the web and forums on how to use the different software correctly. Main advice for backup is Titanium but you have to be rooted.

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone using this link:How to: Flash Cognition on your Captivate ? ponack.net

went ahead and installed rom manager, but it doesnt work. when I try to back uop my phone it gets stuck. I left it alone for 6 hours and it never finished. I read somewhere that captivates need a different kernal or something like that in order for rom manager to work. I downloaded the titanium backup app and used that to back up the phone. Saved that file on my computer, but have no way of knowing for sure if its a good backup or not. Plus the instructions on the above link use rom manager to install cognition, so I was hoping to use that method as it appeared the simplest for me. I have read way too many different instructions on rooting my phone i think, and now im kinda confused ha ha! That link does not mention captivates needing a different kernal in order to work, so do i possibly need to reinstall it? I was able to upgrade to the latest flash clockwork recovery, but appears I cannot back up my phone with rom manager?.One more thing, if I want to unroot, do I just delete the "update.zip" file from my phone? I did not use the one click root because I was unsure what that "get unlock code" on the captivate tab was for and this other method seemed simpler for me.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Rom Manager can be used for backing up the complete contents of your internal phone SD to a ROM (think of it like Norton Ghost, for your phone). In order to be able to reinstate a backup it can also install ROMs- both your own backups, and ROMs provided by other sources. Some recovery utilities are included. On the Captivate, you'll need to install a recovery kernel (Clockwork). Requires root (doesn't mention it on the app's page in the android market, but it's in my list of apps allowed SU access). Installation of the Clockwork kernel is the very top button in the Rom Manager screen, titled "Flash ClockwordMod Recovery".

Titanium Backup backs-up, installs and manages applications (it even allows you to halt, and restart system apps). It's useful if you want to quickly transfer favourite / purchased apps to a new ROM. Root is required.

Note that both utilities, by default, store their backups on the phone's internal storage. This is the worst place for your backups to exist. I recommend that you change the default location / copy those backups somewhere else (to a PC, for example).

Both apps are must-have's in my opinion, but they do different things, and it's important to understand the differences.

Hope this helps, consider clicking Thanks, it makes me smile.

AoN

P.S. Just saw your extra post, and for rooting, I think the easiest way is to use this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

...the "get unlock code" will let you know what the code is to unlock your phone, so that you can use any SIM card in it. The code for each phone is hidden in a file, on the phone, in the Eclair build. Note that as soon as you upgrade to any Froyo-based ROM, that information is deleted.

Last edited:

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I opened rom manager, under flash clockworkmod recover it says latest recovery is:clockworkmod 2.5.1.2. when i hit "backup current rom" it reboots and gets stuck intalling something. could this be because i do not have my external sd card installed? also do debugging settings make a difference? thank you, you have been very helpful and seem to know your "shizzle" as my kids wouls say ha ha

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey, thanks :)

My guess is that you don't have the superuser permissions set up correctly.

Qu: do you have any acceleration installed (voodoo?), I use OCLF, but haven't needed to disable that for backup.

Rom Manager version is 3.0.0.2, and ClockworkMod recovery version for me is v2.5.1.2 also.

If I go into Rom Manager, and select "Backup Rom", I get asked for a filename (usually just use the default timestamp in the window), then I briefly (10 seconds) see a flash screen that says "Rom Manager has been granted Superuser permissions", the phone then boots into (I think a linux recovery mode - plain yellow text and a black background, then white text and a progress bar across the bottom), and then starts backing up, without any extra button presses from me (and starts backing up in about a minute or so). Probably takes about 10 minutes to complete, some directories / segments take a while.

If you open your superuser application, do you see any apps listed as being granted SU permissions? There ought to be a list there.

Hope this helps,

AoN

Last edited:

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes my superuser app shows both rom manager and titanium backup there. I went into rom manager and selected "backup current rom". I donot get a screen that says "rom manager has been granted superuser permissins" like you do. Instead a screen pops up asking if I want to rename the backup. Then the phone reboots into recovery mode (blue and yellow text) and in yellow it says

update media,please wait...
update media, finished
#manual mode#
---appling muti-csc...
installing muti-csc

Thats it, it seems to get "stuck" there.... any ideas?

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That's the recovery menu, not sure why you're seeing (and stopping at) that. What were the steps (in Rom Manager) that you took to get there?

In Rom Manager "Backup Current ROM" doesn't go through that menu, I *think* that "Manage ROMs" does.

If it gets stuck here for more than about 5 minutes, You can probably use the up/down keys to choose something on the blue text at the top half of the screen (e.g. reboot system now), and press the unlock key (top right of phone) to select your choice.

Oh, and I got the choose the ROM name menu too, forgot that bit.

Assuming that you get the phone to boot again, I'd think about uninstalling, and reinstalling Rom Manager, along with ClockworkMod, just in case something there's broken too.

HtH

AoN

Last edited:

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I double checked, it is the buckup current rom tab that I am using. I followed your advice and removed rom manager and clockwork, then reinstalled both. Still the same results. I let it sit for 25 minutes. It always reboots if I hit the start button. Oh and when i first opened rom manager it asked for superuser permission, I toggled the "remember" box and it ran normally. I am really stumped on this one.... it has to be some small simpleton thing, is the sim card supposed to be removed? does it make a difference if the external sd card is in or out? Also, if I decide to unroot my phone, do I just delete the "update.zip" from my files and thats it? Thanks.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what you need to do to unroot.

//----

Have you installed any acceleration- like Voodoo, OCLF?

Do you have any antivirus apps running?

Anything that you can think of that might interfere with the backup (something that runs at boot-time, task killer, or something else?).

... we'll get it, just might take awhile.

AoN

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I have installed is titanium back-up and rom manager. Other than the update.zip file I installed to root the phone, which put the superuser app on it. I thought the cognition rom had a lag-fix with it sos I havent installed anything yet. I have no anti-virus or task killer apps installed. Could these two apps have some type of conflict?

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Got it! cognition is up and running....damn its faster. I removed titanuim after I used it to back up my apps. im not sure if that helped.... but I also reinstalled rom manager and the clockwork.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you can get it booting again, tell it to re-apply Clockwork from ROM manager, just in case.

That said, this would be a good opportunity to point out that of the two backup solutions, I find Titanium Backup to be a much better investment of your time. At least at first. Above all, if your current ROM is corrupted and you need a new flash, or whatever... you will want a Titanium Backup folder full of your user apps copied to your computer where it is nice and safe.

Do that first, if you can boot.

Then worry about what is holding up step 2.

Just my $.02

EDIT- I am late. Ah well :).

snadler

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I am another New to Android. Samsung Captivate 2.2 Froyo Trying to Backup with Rom Manager before playing with roms. I am rooted and have titanium backup running fine but when i try to use Rom Manager, fix permissions i get the message: An errir occurred while attempting to run privileged commands. I checked in Super User and I see that Rom Manager is in there? Also when I do try to do a backup of the existing rom it brings up the blue option screen with the usual options to reinstall packages etc. reboot is highlighted so that is what i do. I have not reinstalled packages at all as i am not sure if i should or not. There is a yellow text section underneath that reads

Update media please wait
update media finished
"manual mode"
appling multi-csc
installing multi-csc
install default apk-files, please wait
install default apk-files, finished

I do not see a backup anywhere by the name it says it will create?

Any help would be appreciated.........