i9000 ROMs and Modems- Data Dropout Tweak

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are like me, whenever you use an i9000 ROM and modem to get HSUPA, perhaps you also get the occasional network drop that results in your BT profile getting wiped, and messages stacking up until you happen to notice. In addition, if you stream music over Pandora, maybe you have wondered why you get so many skips.

That bothered me for a long time, and got me to go back to Cog, and lose HSUPA, to avoid the problem. I have since found a setting that makes a big difference in my performance with using i9000 modems.

MENU-SETTINGS-WIRELESS AND NETWORKS-DATA NETWORKS

I set mine to WCDMA only, and have had GREAT results since. Not one recurrence of the data network drop (and the more annoying BT reset), and only a couple skips in Pandora for the whole week. Normally would get a few every day.

I think this setting is locking me only to the 850Mhz towers and stopping the polling and network hopping (I work in a very low signal environment, and the problem would always start there), which apparently is the cause of my problem. Without this setting, it hops around enough that eventually it loses ability to connect at all.

Anyway, if you have had similar problems when trying to use i9000 modems, try that setting out and see if it helps. I would assume if your local area is not converted to 850, or just has not great coverage on that band, you will see worse coverage with this. So far I have stayed in the Metro area, so it is has been fine. I suspect I will have to change it back when I get out in the sticks and need to lock into Edge or whatever.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL