CyanogenMod 7 (CM7) for Captivate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running Serendipity 6.4, and am thinking about taking the jump to CM7, but before I do, how stable is it now (compared to Serendipity and the stock ROM)?
Thanks.
P.S. Is there a pretty recent video of CM7 on the Captivate? All the ones I see on YouTube are older and less stable.

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am currently running Serendipity 6.4, and am thinking about taking the jump to CM7, but before I do, how stable is it now (compared to Serendipity and the stock ROM)?
Thanks.
P.S. Is there a pretty recent video of CM7 on the Captivate? All the ones I see on YouTube are older and less stable.

Personally, I think it's pretty stable. Right now, the issues are mainly features that aren't fully functional (camera isn't at full quality, etc.), and there's still some battery issues. It really depends on what your needs are.

As long as you read the directions, it's almost easier to install than the new Gingerbread ROMs (and with no nasty bootloaders :) ). Give it a try and see if you like it.

Reactions: ibejack96

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Another new update...they've been churning them out the last week or so. Looks like install has gotten a LOT easier, too. It's all through CWM, no Odin needed.

mdoyal1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
CM7 has been really stable for me, especially after the last 4 Nightlies! I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or my phone may be the only one but whenever someone sends me a text and I'm not in the same room at the time my phone gets it, the capacitative buttons will actually stay lit until I look at my phone. I think this is a nice little feature (if it is one) that's really helpful.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
CM7 has been really stable for me, especially after the last 4 Nightlies! I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or my phone may be the only one but whenever someone sends me a text and I'm not in the same room at the time my phone gets it, the capacitative buttons will actually stay lit until I look at my phone. I think this is a nice little feature (if it is one) that's really helpful.

Yeah, Serendipity does that too.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It's basically BLN like you find in most custom kernels, except its implemented so you can control it through the CM settings.

Sent from my Captivate

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I know that the nightlies are pretty stable, but will there ever be an "official" release, like the phones on the devices list have?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
They have to merge all their changes with the CM mainline before it can go official.That's one of the main things they're working on right now. It's harder than most devices because of all the changes they made to make it run.

Sent from my Captivate

Reactions: ibejack96

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been thinking on heading back to CM to see how it is with the driver updates and whatnot. Some camera fixes too, so it has my issue list from the last time potentially covered. How has it been running for you guys?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Camera is a lot better, graphics are much improved, and everything is more stable in general. Even battery life has gotten to the point that I don't have to switch out.

In other words, just awesome all around ;)

Side note: If no one is opposed, I'm going to start a new thread for CM7 so I can keep the OP updated with the status. I think the current OP disappeared :p

Last edited:

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
These are the directions from the cm7 site.

FIRST TIME FLASHING CM7 TO YOUR SAMSUNG GALAXY S SERIES PHONE:

Phone fully charged?
Enough free space (~200 MB) on internal sdcard?
Actually running a Froyo Bootloader and ClockworkMod-Recovery?
- Full Froyo with Bootloaders and CWM for Odin: Captivate | GalaxyS | GalaxyS_B | Vibrant - (Flash as PDA with PIT 512 and Re-Partition checked, do a factory reset if it's not booting)

If yes, we're good to go.

The easy way: (needs rooted Froyo and ClockworkMod-Recovery)

1. Get ROM-Manager from Market.
2. Choose "Download ROM" -> "Teamhacksung" -> "CyanogenMod 7" and install it.
3. Wait until your Phone has booted fully up. There's a lot to do, be patient. Welcome to CyanogenMod 7.
4. OPTIONAL: Install GAPPS (Google Apps) from within ROM-Manager.

so, just to confirm. since I am running firefly 3.0 I can use this method right? Which is basically the same method as as the 2.2 roms.

Just want to make sure before i do something stupid. lol

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
These are the directions from the cm7 site.

FIRST TIME FLASHING CM7 TO YOUR SAMSUNG GALAXY S SERIES PHONE:

Phone fully charged?
Enough free space (~200 MB) on internal sdcard?
Actually running a Froyo Bootloader and ClockworkMod-Recovery?
- Full Froyo with Bootloaders and CWM for Odin: Captivate | GalaxyS | GalaxyS_B | Vibrant - (Flash as PDA with PIT 512 and Re-Partition checked, do a factory reset if it's not booting)

If yes, we're good to go.

The easy way: (needs rooted Froyo and ClockworkMod-Recovery)

1. Get ROM-Manager from Market.
2. Choose "Download ROM" -> "Teamhacksung" -> "CyanogenMod 7" and install it.
3. Wait until your Phone has booted fully up. There's a lot to do, be patient. Welcome to CyanogenMod 7.
4. OPTIONAL: Install GAPPS (Google Apps) from within ROM-Manager.

so, just to confirm. since I am running firefly 3.0 I can use this method right? Which is basically the same method as as the 2.2 roms.

Just want to make sure before i do something stupid. lol

Yeah, you can flash from any froyo rom.

Sent from my Captivate

Reactions: pittsm

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
when did this change? It didn't used to be that easy. also why don't you need new bootloaders like with the other 2.3 roms?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
when did this change? It didn't used to be that easy. also why don't you need new bootloaders like with the other 2.3 roms?

They just updated the process. It doesn't need the 2.3 bootloaders because it isn't a Samsung based ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae