[How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate

Toad858

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok i see. Well i am now on an I9000 based gingerbread 2.3.4 rom and i am liking it. But just in case, would there be any other way for me to go back to froyo that you know of?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok i see. Well i am now on an I9000 based gingerbread 2.3.4 rom and i am liking it. But just in case, would there be any other way for me to go back to froyo that you know of?

You can run Froyo on Gingerbread bootloaders, so unless you're sending it in for a warranty claim, don't worry about changing bootloaders. Just make sure whatever your flashing contains both an sbl.bin and boot.bin, or neither. Mixing them up will end in a hard brick.

ketdesign

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate your work on this. I have been struggling to find I897UCJH2.tar. Most links now take to a rar copy.
Anyway, Odin will not recognize the captivate while in download mode. It does see it if plugged into usb while fully powered up. I should have all drivers and do not have any issues with kies or windows seeing phone. Ideas?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate your work on this. I have been struggling to find I897UCJH2.tar. Most links now take to a rar copy.
Anyway, Odin will not recognize the captivate while in download mode. It does see it if plugged into usb while fully powered up. I should have all drivers and do not have any issues with kies or windows seeing phone. Ideas?

The .zip folder I posted in post 7 should contain the .tar version.

As for the Odin issue, make sure you're using a USB port that goes directly into the motherboard (back of the computer on a desktop).

Toad858

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You can run Froyo on Gingerbread bootloaders, so unless you're sending it in for a warranty claim, don't worry about changing bootloaders. Just make sure whatever your flashing contains both an sbl.bin and boot.bin, or neither. Mixing them up will end in a hard brick.

So how would i check if the rom contains these files? I am trying to flash back to stock JH2 then back to the newest version of cognition. Would i just extract the zip file and search all the directories for those folders? Also could i just flash back to stock JH2 using this method without any risks? Thanks for all the help and being patient with me.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So how would i check if the rom contains these files? I am trying to flash back to stock JH2 then back to the newest version of cognition. Would i just extract the zip file and search all the directories for those folders? Also could i just flash back to stock JH2 using this method without any risks? Thanks for all the help and being patient with me.

JH2 doesn't contain bootloaders, so it should be fine. You'll just still have the Gingerbread bootloaders on there.

If a package contains bootloaders, it will have a boot.bin and sbl.bin inside. Only flash bootloaders if the package contains both files.

Sent from my Captivate

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I also think bootloaders can only be flashed via Odin, which means if you are flashing a zip from CWM = no bootloaders.

Usually (USUALLY!), only the one-click style Odin packages will include bootloaders. That is what most users would see, though some may grab stuff direct from the Samsung site, and there it is more confusing.

Toad858

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Awesome guys thanks for your help. So i decided to order a jig just in case and once i get it in the mail I will be sure flash and post the results here. Wish me luck and thanks again for all the info.

Toad858

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So i didnt want to wait and decided to go ahead and revert back to JH2. And I can confirm that this method does work with I9000 bootloaders. I still have the I9000 boot animation which I hate btw.... I would like to revert back to stock froyo bootloaders though, oh well thanks for all the help.

GrAndroid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
[NOTE][TIP][WARN]BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, check underneath your battery for your build number. It's a 4 digit number (10xx). If:
A. Your build is 1007 & under, continue on to the instructions.
B. Your build is 1008: you'll need either a jig to enter Download mode, or be familiar with adb (use "adb reboot download") You can make a cheap jig using THESE instructions.
C. Your build is 1010 & over: You'll need to use the instructions in post 7. One-click does bad things to these build numbers.
EDIT:There is conflicting reports about whether one-click will work for 1012 devices. If you have a jig, it's worth a try.
[/WARN][/TIP][/NOTE]

[TIP]Don't have 3-button combo? Or just lazy like me ;). DroidXcon made an awesome script that you can use to get into download/recovery mode. Give it a try, and shoot him a thanks next time you see him.

DOWNLOAD[/TIP]

[WARN]Make sure you have enough charge to do this before proceeding. The amount depends on your phone/battery, but to be safe, I would suggest 60% minimum.[/WARN]

[INFO]1. Download Odin One-click Application HERE and unzip it. You'll need the .exe file.

2. Disable any running antivirus (causes an interupt durning process resulting in bad flash)

3. Make sure to plug USB cable in the back of the computer, for most reliable connection (if using a desktop).

4. If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.

5. If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.

6. Launch ODIN on PC.

7. Remove battery, SIM, and micro SD from phone.

8. Re-insert the Battery. Boot into download mode by holding both Volume buttons and plugging in the USB. If you get a screen that says "downloading: do not turn off target" with a digging android, you're in download mode.

9. Your phone should show up in ODIN (the box will turn yellow w/ letters and numbers).

10. Click START, and let it finish.

[WARN]DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE UNTIL IT FULLY BOOTS. [/WARN]

Your Captivate is now back to stock. You can now use Kies to update to Froyo.[/INFO]
I have followed your instructions for flashing back to Eclair on my Captivate (rooted) running Froyo 2.2, but my computers do not see the phone in "download" mode. All I get is a message stating that the device driver did not install correctly. This is the problem I have on a PC running Windows7_64. The driver was working fine (seeing the phone) prior to and after I rooted the device, but do not work once the phone was in Download mode. I tried to use another PC running Windows XP_32, but I can not get the driver to install at all on that computer. Needless to say, I'm at a COMPLETE LOSS as to what to try next. Any suggestions?

GrAndroid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have followed your instructions for flashing back to Eclair on my Captivate (rooted) running Froyo 2.2, but my computers do not see the phone in "download" mode. All I get is a message stating that the device driver did not install correctly. This is the problem I have on a PC running Windows7_64. The driver was working fine (seeing the phone) prior to and after I rooted the device, but do not work once the phone was in Download mode. I tried to use another PC running Windows XP_32, but I can not get the driver to install at all on that computer. Needless to say, I'm at a COMPLETE LOSS as to what to try next. Any suggestions? BTW my Captivate is build 1009.

bobbybear720

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys, I have An att captivate 1012, 2.2, froyo.uckb1, kernel- 2.6.32.9, So there's all I know bout the phone. I downloaded the drivers from Samsung, and Odin. And my phone will show up in odin while it's in mass storage, but when I go to download mode it removes from odin, and never shows back up. What can fix this prob. I have also tried using Rom manager to download one of their Roms, and when it goes into the clockworkmod recovery I will try to reinstall packages, and it will tell me E:failed to open /mnt/internal_sd/update.zip (no such file or directory) and E:signature verification failed
Please get back to me with as much help as possible thanks

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Make sure you try the 32-bit drivers instead of the 64.

Ok guys, I have An att captivate 1012, 2.2, froyo.uckb1, kernel- 2.6.32.9, So there's all I know bout the phone. I downloaded the drivers from Samsung, and Odin. And my phone will show up in odin while it's in mass storage, but when I go to download mode it removes from odin, and never shows back up. What can fix this prob. I have also tried using Rom manager to download one of their Roms, and when it goes into the clockworkmod recovery I will try to reinstall packages, and it will tell me E:failed to open /mnt/internal_sd/update.zip (no such file or directory) and E:signature verification failed
Please get back to me with as much help as possible thanks

Which method are you using to get into download mode? Make sure Odin is open before you plug it in. You can also try a different computer.

You're not in clockworkmod recovery, you're in the stock recovery. Follow the instructions for installing CWM on Froyo.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Stock 2.2 needs to have the Recovery unlocked... should be in a sticky out there. Once you get the Recovery replaced, you should be able to flash whatever you want.

As to Download mode... what if you go straight to Download, without first connecting while the phone is on? I have seen Odin lose the phone with the transition. Also, if you are getting weird USB behavior... reboot the PC. Odin and your phone can cause the USB system to stop working correctly. Lastly, make sure you are using a port that is directly connected to your motherboard of the computer- front-side ports are often not good enough.

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Upon further research, I have discovered a method that seems to be fool proof for getting into download mode with my 1009 build... turn off phone, take out battery, sd, sim... plug in usb cable, hold both volume buttons, and then put in battery. instantly in download mode.

Another question... I recently flashed the 2.3.4 gingerbread leak using odin... once the official version is released, will this one click back to eclair still work? i only will want to do it if the official release has the new version of swype or touchwiz 4 (highly doubtful), since the leak doesn't.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Most of the one-click packages also flash bootloaders, unless they specifically say they do not (which is a recent feature). The original one-clicks all flash bootloaders, so you can go back if you want.

You will also likely be able to load the new stock faster with an Odin package from XDA than you would waiting for ATT to release. In fact, you can probably get a CWM flashable custom rom based on the new drop, with root and bloat removed, before you would get the official. So IMO, forget about Eclair. No need to ever do that again if you already have GB, unless you need to warranty replace your phone before GB drops officially :).

To resolve your swype woes, login to beta.swype.com and create an account. You will get the newest swype available whenever you like this way, and the new one is quite a bit nicer than the the old. Better than any that comes with a ROM. (Login via your phone).

Reactions: nbell978

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Most of the one-click packages also flash bootloaders, unless they specifically say they do not (which is a recent feature). The original one-clicks all flash bootloaders, so you can go back if you want.

You will also likely be able to load the new stock faster with an Odin package from XDA than you would waiting for ATT to release. In fact, you can probably get a CWM flashable custom rom based on the new drop, with root and bloat removed, before you would get the official. So IMO, forget about Eclair. No need to ever do that again if you already have GB, unless you need to warranty replace your phone before GB drops officially :).

To resolve your swype woes, login to beta.swype.com and create an account. You will get the newest swype available whenever you like this way, and the new one is quite a bit nicer than the the old. Better than any that comes with a ROM. (Login via your phone).

Yeah that's how I had the new swype when I was running rooted froyo.. Unfortunately superoneclick doesn't work with gingerbread and thats the only way i'm currently comfortable rooting my phone. Haha

Alberto5501

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
My phone will only show the ATT logo, after that it will show a screen that says Galaxy S SGH-i897... Then the Firefly splash screen... and itll stay there...

Doesnt get into recovery, download mode... tried all the ways. Any help?

david007co

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
YOU ARE THE GRATEST! MOST AWESOME PERSON IN THE WORLD!!!

Thank you so much. I had CM 7.1, but after tryng to restore a nandroid back up with room manager, My phone was stucked on the initial AT&T World Phone Screen.

Now its back to live!

Thanks a lot.:):):)