[How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod and flash a custom ROM

JunGaList4323

May 1, 2011
Visit site
alright, device driver is installed. I went back to the beginning with the one click app, and I am still seeing the same message, "waiting for device..."

wyyup

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I worked through the root and installed Clockworkmod and downloaded a couple of ROMS from your list, however, whenever I install a ROM and reboot, The ROM gets stuck on the first splash loading screen and never moves. I have tried this on three different ROMS and have had no luck.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Please note that when a new kernel is flashed, and when you do a ROM you almost always have a kernel included, it will need to rebuild the dalvik cache on boot. This can take 5-10 minutes the first time only. If you gave it longer than that, I would boot back into Recovery mode and apply the same ROM again.

When you go into Recovery mode to install from a zip file, is it green or blue?

EDIT- Also, which ROMs are you trying? If you are trying to do the new Gingerbread ones, there are additional steps that may not be covered in this topic.

Last edited:

wyyup

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to install three different mods from ls377's list. Trident, Platypus, and Javelin. I let it sit for about 25 minutes and it never went past the first splash screen. I have to reflash from odin and then root again and reinstall clockwork and then try again but each time I have the same result. Also, my build number is 1011. I can root just fine and am able to install non market apps but the stock ROM is terrible.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to install three different mods from ls377's list. Trident, Platypus, and Javelin. I let it sit for about 25 minutes and it never went past the first splash screen. I have to reflash from odin and then root again and reinstall clockwork and then try again but each time I have the same result. Also, my build number is 1011. I can root just fine and am able to install non market apps but the stock ROM is terrible.

Those 3 ONLY work with CM7 or MIUI. If you're trying other ROMS, use one of the non-CM kernels.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Yes, as noted above, those kernels are not for Samsung ROMs, only for CM7 based stuff. The stuck at the screen thing is a clear kernel issue, and easy to fix with flashing the right one. No muss no fuss.

What ROM are you running? 2.2 or 2.3?

tesmith25

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I was experiencing the "unable to verify signature: failed" as well. I used SuperOneClick to not only root the device but it also had a one click option to enable the unknown sources option. Everything worked great.

wirenutz197041

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod a

Trying install clockworkmod............I select reinstall package (in blue texts) and get and I quote
Install from sdcard
finding update package
opening update package
E:can't open/sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted

I install it on my mircosd card and rename update.zip.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Trying install clockworkmod............I select reinstall package (in blue texts) and get and I quote
Install from sdcard
finding update package
opening update package
E:can't open/sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted

I install it on my mircosd card and rename update.zip.

I think the file at the download site is corrupted, since we had the same issue with someone else. I'll upload another one and post it, and let you know when I do.

EDIT: Try the link now, let me know if it works.

Last edited:

wirenutz197041

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

the link works............

next problem...............this is getting to be like my marriage

clockworkmmod wont read the roms installes on my sdcard.

I see the directory sd/ ,but it will not let me go farther.
How do I install my roms where clockworkmod will see it-unzip it and install it

thanks

mds0001

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

[INFO]Download SuperOneClick v1.7 Credit goes to CLShortFuse for this great program.

Unzip the .zip file, and open the SuperOneClick program.

Plug in your phone (with USB debugging enabled). Click "Root"

Click Yes/OK on all the windows that pop up.

If the test passes, you're now rooted![/INFO]

Running stock Froyo (build FROYO.UCKB1, kernel 2.6.32.9) on Captivate.

Tried to root using SuperOneClick (tried once each using each exploit). In each case, SuperOneClick reported success, but my applications that need root cannot achieve root access. When they try, unlike my experience using rooted Eclair, the there is no popup from the SU application requesting root permission. The request apparently just times out and the application is unable to secure root access.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

mds0001

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Running stock Froyo (build FROYO.UCKB1, kernel 2.6.32.9) on Captivate.

Tried to root using SuperOneClick (tried once each using each exploit). In each case, SuperOneClick reported success, but my applications that need root cannot achieve root access. When they try, unlike my experience using rooted Eclair, the there is no popup from the SU application requesting root permission. The request apparently just times out and the application is unable to secure root access.

Turns out the phone needs to be rebooted after rooting. SuperOneClick does not tell you this but I found the tip someplace and everything works now.

Reactions: ls377

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Turns out the phone needs to be rebooted after rooting. SuperOneClick does not tell you this but I found the tip someplace and everything works now.

Thanks, I added that into the directions.

drlecter79

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Hey folks. First, thank you for all the tips/tricks you provide. I've successfully rooted my Captivate and enabled sideloading with instructions I've found here. Initially, that's all I wanted, but now I'm interested in CyanogenMod.
I've searched and read numerous posts, and maybe I'm just confusing myself with all the information I've found, but I have a question you may be able to help with.
If I want to flash CyanogenMod, do I HAVE to ODIN back to Eclair first? My Captivate came stock with Eclair, and was upgraded to Froyo via Keis. Also, the ODIN instructions have a reference to the build number in the back of the phone. My build number is 1101, and the reference only discusses build numbers starting with 10.
I have also read a lot about overclocking and saving battery life. Can you provide insight on how I can accomplish this? My understanding is that some ROMs have this built in, but does CyanogenMod?
Thank you in advance!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX