ROM Questions

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm helping someone flash their AT&T Captivate. They flashed the Continuum 5 Gingerbread RC2 via Odin.

I'm wondering since this is experimental 2.3 is it highly dangerous? To get back to froyo just use regular Odin one click right?

He's also been wondering about the custom kernels and modems. I know almost nothing about GSM modems so is there any thing specific I should know about flashing radios?

What's a good ROM/kernel/modem recommendation for a total noob for good battery, and signal that's stable?

Been trying a few different ROMs and such but theres so many different combinations and I'm just looking for something easy and stable yet better than stock.

Sent from my Optimus One CDMA using Tapatalk

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm helping someone flash their AT&T Captivate. They flashed the Continuum 5 Gingerbread RC2 via Odin.

I'm wondering since this is experimental 2.3 is it highly dangerous? To get back to froyo just use regular Odin one click right?

2.3 is not dangerous, just new so the ROMs still have beta issues. The install process requires new bootlader as part of the install- if something goes wrong with the bootlader install, then yeah, you'll have a brick. Outside of those two issues, you should be fine.

Make sure if returning to stock with Odin use the one that is known as "One Click Odin". Do not use the version labeled "one click Odin with three button combo". That will screw things up. Also there is a stock ROM floating around somewhere that leaves the new bootloaders in place for safety reasons (they're backward compatible) .

He's also been wondering about the custom kernels and modems. I know almost nothing about GSM modems so is there any thing specific I should know about flashing radios?

What's a good ROM/kernel/modem recommendation for a total noob for good battery, and signal that's stable?

Been trying a few different ROMs and such but theres so many different combinations and I'm just looking for something easy and stable yet better than stock.

For safety and stability look for 2.2.1 ROMs (JS7 JS8) with Speedmod K13 kernel and JK4 modem (aka radio). Serendipity 6.4 should have that combo already on it (awesome devs and ROM-can't wait to see what they with 2.3). Also read up on whatever kernel you get, they sometimes have performance tweaks buried in the recovery menu that make it perform even better/smoother/faster.

Modems vary from area to area so you may (maybe not) end up trying a few before settling on one that has the right battery/signal strength/data speeds that the owner can live with. They can be somewhat area specific.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
JK4 is a solid USA modem. It is often included with Captivate ROMs, but there are a few others that people like as well. Nothing special to it, except to note that thus far into 2.3 land for us, we have to use ODIN to flash the modem instead of CWM. Temporary I hope.

The 2.3 ROMs are all new, so there isn't much I can tell you except that the Captivate ones out currently are from longtime 2.2 devs. DG, MikeyMike, Icecezar and more. They are probably all good, but all are also brand spanking new. The good parts of a ROM are often the things the community adds on the top, and for that you need time to see it develop. Team Phoenix has yet to release theirs, which will have 3 or 4 guys working on just one ROM. We will have several solid choices near term, but you might have to shop around or just pick one and stick with it.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I'll try that on froyo. Before he had Ultimate Phoenix on the phone and he complained about the battery life.

So I just want to be sure I pick a ROM with good battery, signal, and doesn't lag much. I don't to make someone else's phone suck.

These Roms are great considering my Optimus V has such basic roms.