I am not trying to be redundant to the moderators but I was told to post this here instead of in the general forums. Here is the original post...
    "This just started today....I cant change USB setting or place my cappy into debugging mode So this means I cant reflash any new roms since I can't go into debug mode to connect to my computer...Hell even worse is I have a iMac so that makes it even harder! Argh! It was rooted when I bought it and there are still some files on the SD card that look like the files used to root..like Untitled.zip, clockworkmod, and Galaxy_S_Unlock...so is there any way to fix this just by handset alone?? Please help..I am very new to droid and am frustrated as hell that I can't easily sync with my computer...I don't want to go back to my iphone 4 but I may have to"
    Now I got a response from somebody giving me options to solve but I am looking for verification that this can be done on my device only w/o needing to use my computer. Here is his reply...

"You could apply an Clockworkmod update.zip that will allow you to get into recovery where you can install a custom (or stock) ROM and that will give you a fresh start.

First back up everything on your phone to your computer that's important to you as you will lose it. Then do a Master Clear/Factory Data Reset.

After backup and master clear is done you could download the file from the link I've included, along with the custom ROM of your choice, and you MUST rename it to say "update" (update.zip). Then reboot your phone into what I assume is stock recovery, select "install package" (you'll probably have to do that step twice in a row before it works). Once you get the green Clockwork Recovery screen select "install zip from sdcard" then select "choose zip from sdcard" and select the ROM you loaded with the update.zip.

After installing the new ROM (doesn't matter if it's stock or custom) I'd do another master clear just to be sure.

With this file you do not need to be rooted or in debug mode for it to get you to Clockwork recovery.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11466747/upd...%2Broot%29.zip"

I would love to get froyo on this thing but samsung does not provide any help for us Mac users. So if I can get a custom ROM of 2.2 or even Gingerbread that was my ultimate goal but I would only be able to do this on my Device, no use of my iMac at all since it is unrecognizable to it as long as debug mode will not activate. So any help would be appreciated...as I said before I would like to stay with droid for its customization but I seem to have a snag since I use mac and would not like ot have to change back to iPhone right now. Thanks to any help
    05-25-2011 01:12 AM
    Do u have a sd card reader? If so, download the rom you wish to flash to a sd, place it back in your phone and copy it to the internal sd. Or, connect to wifi, browse the net on your device to find the rom you want, then download it directly to your phone. Then use clockwork to back up everything, make a custom recovery titled update.zip. Boot into recovery, hit reinstall packages, then you will be in the custom recovery. Use the custom recovery to apply the zip file of your new rom. The great thing about this phone is its almost impossible to brick the damn thing. You can soft brick it which is easily fixable. Ive done that quite a few times. Well I hope this helps and good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    05-25-2011 01:49 AM
    OK I can download from the phone but I don't know how to use clockwork or create a custom recovery

05-25-2011 02:16 AM
    Download rom manager. When u open it up, there will be an option to backup current rom. Do it. Then at the top it says flash custom recovery. Click it, and choose captivate from list of phones. Then reboot into recovery. Hit reinstall packages, which will bring you into the custom clockwork recovery. Choose apply zip from sd card, then choose the rom you want to flash. The rom does not have to be titled update.zip, as i had one called dili54.zip and it worked.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
    05-25-2011 04:39 AM
    Thanks! Do you know a rom for either Froyo or Gingerbread?

05-25-2011 05:22 AM
    Thanks! Do you know a rom for either Froyo or Gingerbread?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-ca...ted-5-4-a.html
    05-25-2011 07:53 AM
    Thank you sooooo much stew1411!!! all I did was do a back up & then I selected install new rom from sd card and away it went. I selected, for now lol, serendipity_6 & so far I love it! Only thing that sux is I lost my app data like how far id gotten on zenonia 3 but ill survive lol

05-25-2011 09:00 AM
    Thank you sooooo much stew1411!!! all I did was do a back up & then I selected install new rom from sd card and away it went. I selected, for now lol, serendipity_6 & so far I love it! Only thing that sux is I lost my app data like how far id gotten on zenonia 3 but ill survive lol

Now that you are rooted, get Titanium Backup going and you will not have the app data problem the next time... or god forbid if you catch the ROM flashing sickness, and do it even if you don't need to. Titanium Backup is reason enough to root all by itself.
    muniyaz82 likes this.
    05-25-2011 02:32 PM
    Now that you are rooted, get Titanium Backup going and you will not have the app data problem the next time... or god forbid if you catch the ROM flashing sickness, and do it even if you don't need to. Titanium Backup is reason enough to root all by itself.
    Yes I probably should have mentioned that earlier. It saved me a great deal so I didnt lose my angry birds data lol.

muniyaz82 likes this.
    05-25-2011 02:53 PM
    Glad you got it working. Did my advice help you at all, or was it rubbish?
    05-27-2011 09:22 AM
    Oops lol I replied on the other thread...yes it helped tremendously :-)

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk Pro
    05-29-2011 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD