Rooting vs Custom ROMs

Alex.Kim

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! I'm about to get a Samsung Captivate, and have been doing a ton of research. I'm definitely gonna root it, but I'm still wondering whether I should just root it or load a completely different ROM. I've hacked my old Palm Pre Plus, so I guess I have moderate experience with phone hacking. Also, will rooting without a custom ROM allow you to change the top bar with the battery and reception info? I've seen it in screenshots and videos, and I prefer the stock Android one over the TouchWiz one.

Last edited:

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
You can change the notification bar w/o custom ROMs but you'll need to know what you're doing when you visit the UOT Kitchen to have it changed (assuming you aren't a developer with intimate knowledge of the Android OS).

The best/easiest way is to find a custom ROM that has the best combination of the things you're looking for, including the notification bar.

All cooked ROMs (kernels) that I'm aware of are pre-rooted.

I say this to everyone and some are probably tired of hearing it but, read, read, read, and back up all of your important data to your computer and know how to return your phone to stock (and why) before you flash anything custom.

Here's an example of the notification bar from the custom ROM I'm currently using- completely unmodded by me- just using what's offered in the ROM (it came with an app preloaded that lets me mod the battery/clock/etc).

Last edited:

BetaRoc

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I had mine just rooted with OCLF and was happy, but decided to flash the newest Cognition a couple of weeks ago and I only thought my phone was great before.

Well worth it.

WidgetLocker is worth the couple of bucks it charges as well. Customize your lock screen to look however you want and really adds to the functionality of the phone. (example, I have a slider at the top of my lock screen that will take me directly to the camera or my text message inbox straight from the lock screen)

Functionality like this is how the phone should come standard IMO.

bish0p34

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Custom ROMs are definitely the way to go. That's one of the beautiful things about Android is the ability to chose your own OS, which run much more smoothly than what the carrier pushes on you. I run Cognition personally.

bish0p34

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I had mine just rooted with OCLF and was happy, but decided to flash the newest Cognition a couple of weeks ago and I only thought my phone was great before.

Well worth it.

WidgetLocker is worth the couple of bucks it charges as well. Customize your lock screen to look however you want and really adds to the functionality of the phone. (example, I have a slider at the top of my lock screen that will take me directly to the camera or my text message inbox straight from the lock screen)

Functionality like this is how the phone should come standard IMO.

Widget Locker is TOTALLY worth every penny. It puts the smart in smart phone lock screens.

(Only issue I found was that my GF's Droid 2 has an issue with creating Direct Dial sliders)

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well from Launch Day of the Captivate, I rooted mine as soon as I got home, and ran even the first leaked version of Froyo back in October last year back in November, I started running custom roms and still continue to run custom roms! Current Rom: Mosaic V and love it so far. I still recommend running custom roms just makes the phone that much better in my opinion!

HTH,
Charlie

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital