Gingerbread now available (finally)

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, followed the back to stock links here and minikies - takes two steps from 2.1 and have Gingerbread.
NOW I remember why I rooted and loaded Cognition, now that the crapware is all back and the bluetooth stack is 4x as finicky, yeah, yeah, that's why I did it, LOL!

duckser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Was encouraged to hear that data remained, but I'm wondering if that will still be the case as I am still on Eclair, stock, no root.
Anybody have any idea if it would still maintain all?
Thanks for any feedback..

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Was encouraged to hear that data remained, but I'm wondering if that will still be the case as I am still on Eclair, stock, no root.
Anybody have any idea if it would still maintain all?
Thanks for any feedback..

Probably, but I'd back everything up anyways. Also recommended doing a factory reset anyways.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk.

txGeek

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
How serious are they about the phone being fully-charged? I've been trying since last night and Kies never sees my phone, but it's never been at 100% charge.

Also, it says use the USB debugging setting, not the KIES USB mode. Is that right? (I've tried both ways)

I've also done a factory reset.
*sigh*
Bill

Last edited:

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
How serious are they about the phone being fully-charged? I've been trying since last night and Kies never sees my phone, but it's never been at 100% charge.

Also, it says use the USB debugging setting, not the KIES USB mode. Is that right? (I've tried both ways)

I've also done a factory reset.
*sigh*
Bill

I'd be atleast 75% to do the update, but that's just me. I did not using debug mode.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk.

txGeek

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... still no joy. I'm on XP Pro, 32-bit and Kies Mini never sees the phone, USB debug or Kies USB.

The phone is reset to factory, but rooted. Could that be it?

TIA!
Bill

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... still no joy. I'm on XP Pro, 32-bit and Kies Mini never sees the phone, USB debug or Kies USB.

The phone is reset to factory, but rooted. Could that be it?

TIA!
Bill

They have some info about Kies not seeing your phone on the page.

Kies Mini Does Not Detect The Phone:

Depending on the amount of data stored in the phone memory, this could impair Kies Mini's ability to detect the device. It may be necessary to remove the microSD card (Requirements). Should problems persist, the internal memory may need to be purged. Backup all desired data (using instructions provided above) and then go to Menu>Settings>Privacy >Factory Data Reset. Follow the onscreen instructions and after reboot, attempt to connect to Kies Mini.

The Media Scan process could produce a loop if connected while in progress. If this occurs, disconnect and power cycle the device. Wait until the device fully boots and the process is finished before connecting again.

When the handset goes into download mode instructed by Kies Mini, additional drivers need to be installed. A timeout may occur from the time the drivers install until Kies Mini can detect. Should this occur, close Kies Mini and remove the cable. Next, remove the battery cover and battery. Afterwards, insert the battery, place the cover back on, and power on the device. When the device reboots, connect the data cable and open Kies Mini.

Also they say uninstall the Samsung drivers BEFORE and then get new ones. I had only copied some pics from my phone to my computer once. I didn't have to remove the drivers, but I had to let Kies look on Windows Update for the drivers. I tried to install the drivers from Kies, but it wouldn't see my phone then.

txGeek

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Been through all that a couple times, and the media scanner is not running... I'm stumped!

I think my Captivate is haunted!

Bill

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
did you remove the drivers and then let Kies contact WU to get the newest? Takes a while to do.

also, i saw mention of some having issues because of the IE 9 update and it didn't say anything about if they were using IE 9 or not. i don't use it and just rolled my IE 9 update back before updating.

i didn't have an issue with my AV or firewall, but i have read some had to turn all of that off on their computer before updating.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me. I had one PC where it wouldn't upgrade because I had not removed the older drivers from when I tried to root the device and I installed Kies. I never was able to get that PC to recognize the phone (it would keep saying the USB device malfunctioned and when you looked at the hardware ID, it said USB/UNKNOWN).

I used another PC and was able to upgrade the device.

You may try to do a system restore back to before you installed Kies and then go and remove any Samsung drivers you had installed. That may help. If not, it will be a lot of research and trial and error to get the old drivers off.

txGeek

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, this is frustrating! Somewhere in the attempts to upgrade, wifi got broken! It sticks at "Obtaining IP address from..." and never connects. Tried several networks, even the open one at a local AT&T store, no joy.

What really capped it (heh!) was when, on a whim, I plugged my wife's Captivate in, and it was instantly recognised! Grrr....

Two differences between our phones; hers is still Eclair, and hers is not rooted.

Just for grins, over the weekend I tried to un-root, but SuperOneClick couldn't do it.

Bill

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, this is frustrating! Somewhere in the attempts to upgrade, wifi got broken! It sticks at "Obtaining IP address from..." and never connects. Tried several networks, even the open one at a local AT&T store, no joy.

What really capped it (heh!) was when, on a whim, I plugged my wife's Captivate in, and it was instantly recognised! Grrr....

Two differences between our phones; hers is still Eclair, and hers is not rooted.

Just for grins, over the weekend I tried to un-root, but SuperOneClick couldn't do it.

Bill

My phone was never rooted, but I still had the same problem. Have you tried a factory reset? That solved the problem for me after a while. I

Before my reset, though, I used this app: https://market.android.com/details?...mNvbS5icmlsbGlhcHBzLndpZmlhbmRtb3JlZml4ZXIiXQ..

to fix my wifi a few times, and it did fix the problem, but it seemed to only be a temporary solution (a few weeks-months before breaking again), but it does save yourself from a reset.

brjames1754

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a captivate that has been rooted to Baseband ver. I897UCI6/Kernel ver. 2.6.32.9 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #1. How do I get my phone to gingerbread from here? Help anybody!!!!!

mparvaz

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm finally there!

Ended up using the ODIN packages from xda-dev, from here.

Would you please share all the steps you took to get there. I am trying to use the official Samsung upgrade with Kies, but even after trying several times, doing factory resets, the process still gets stuck on the step when Kies is trying to put stuff on the captivate (the yellow download screen on my cappy). Not sure what else can be.

I thought of giving ODIN a go, but all the discussion at xda-developer is very over-whelming for a android newbie like me.

Thanks

EDIT: My captivate is stock Froyo 2.2 and has never been rooted before.

Last edited:

Fly Wingless

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to figure out how to get my phone to stop having all of the issues that formed once I updated to Gingerbread, and I'm not feeling too good about having to do a factory reset just to fix it. It seems as though a lot of people are having the same issues as I am (force close tethering manager all the time, keyboard likes to switch to Deutsch when I want to switch to the numbers/punctuation keyboard, it will randomly restart from time to time, and then it has some minor random issues that don't occur as frequently). I'm hesitant to do the factory reset cause I have a feeling I'll screw something up and lose all of my apps and data. Is there any word about them doing another update that will fix these issues? If so, maybe I'll just wait it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21