[How-To] Samsung Captivate Official Gingerbread Update (PC)

brjames1754

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to go to Gingerbread! My Captivate is at 2.2 at this time, do I need to do a factory reset or what to get it to gingerbread? Please HELP

Last edited:

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to go to Gingerbread! My Captivate is at 2.2 at this time, do I need to do a factory reset or what to get it to gingerbread? Please HELP

Well, I'm an idiot. You don't NEED to factory reset, but I'd recommend it post-update. Have you installed the drivers linked in this thread? What OS are you using?

Sent from my Samsung Captivate

brjames1754

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have installed the drivers and I'm running XP. And when the update gets done it comes up with the hardware did not fully installed and you might have issues with this program.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have installed the drivers and I'm running XP. And when the update gets done it comes up with the hardware did not fully installed and you might have issues with this program.

Windows does this or Kies Mini does? I've seen "this many not have installed correctly" when installing drivers that work anyways etc on Win7 is why I ask. Try rebooting the phone and uninstalling Kies/drivers, then reboot and reinstall.

Kilhd

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to update my phone to official 2.3 but I am having some issues. I followed the directions from " SAMSUNG "
But when I open Kies mini and it says plug phone in, I do and it does nothing. The phone charges and if I turn on mass storage, the PC sees it but kies does not. I am on Win7 and I have tried reinstalling the samsung USB modem drivers and using ">Menu>Install Drivers" within kies and rebooting PC and phone. nothing seems to be working. Any info for me? TIA

Bah!! Fixed, #1 in step 3 says to put in debugging mode WRONG!! I tried in different mode and working fine now. How do I delete this post?

Last edited:

Syni01

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Now my question is can go go back to 2.2. I hate 2.3. Im very unhappy with the 2.3. Lock ups everywhere. And i can't even text anymore because i get a samsung and android keyboard force close. Then i have to turn the phone off and back on and i might get one or two text out before i get it again.

Then! this force closing for teathering happens every second. I plug in my phone to an outlet. Bam force close menu pops up. I have the option turned off. I turned it on turned it off. Didn't fix it. Factory Reset still lost everything and still the menus pop up. when i press the power button to go to my menu i have to press it 3 or 4 times for my phone to actually wake up so i can put in my code and check a text message or surf the net.

NOT to mention it has slowed everything down for me. I wish i can go back, i will research more on how to do this because i am not happy with this gingerbread. And more problems i haven't even mention list goes on. Old OS had no problems why bring something out and screw up everything when nothing was wrong. Goodjob

Elementalize

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
So I've been trying for a couple hours now for Kies to recognize my Samsung, and to no avail. I've tried, "Kies Software (Firmware Update)", "USB Storage Mode", Media Player mode, no mode, and debugging mode and the only time Kies on my computer seems to acknowledge that something is connected is when it's telling me that "USB Storage mode" is not a compatible means, and to use "Samsung Kies"

Can someone please enlighten me to this? I've attempted to do exactly as the update site told me if this were to happen... Factory Reset, remove the external card, etc. but still nothing.

Syni01

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your USB cable is connected to the back of your PC directly into the Motherboard. Then select the Kies option on your phone. i had the same problem and when i did that it worked. If you're doing that and it still doesnt work, im not sure really. It could be you don't have the drivers for the phone. Some one might of posted back they had the same problem could read up on that.

How old is your PC/Laptop?

Literature82

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! This worked like a charm. :) I had some problems with the bluetooth drivers, but that was an issue caused by my computer's inability to connect to my phone. Once that was resolved, the upgrade went smoothly. When the phone rebooted, it did sit there for a good three minutes, but that was okay. I just waited it out and everything is perfect. Again, thank you!! My phone works so much better. :D :cool:

Damon Cross

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
At my wits end. Everywhere is a dead end. I have a Captivate with Gingerbread, rooted and using Windows 7. I am a tech noob but I have tried everything I've seen suggested to get ICS. I had Kies mini installed and used it to upgrade to Gbread about a year ago. But when I tried to get ICS, Kies mini would not recognize my phone. So I tried to unnstall Kies mini thru the control panel and using CCleaner which has proven impossible. I constantly get an error saying "1628: Failed to complete installation"..... Installation?!?!?! So then I downloaded Kies and the new looking interface refused to recognize my phone, it hangs on Connecting......(Tried all the tricks with that one, official USB cord into the back of the computer, phone on and off off the comp, phone on and off on the computer, plugged up in debugging mode for drivers then replugged in Kies mode, entered *#7482# and changed from USB to Modem to USB, did the hokey pokey and turned myself around...still Connecting...) So I have DL'ed drivers and Kies mini from Samsung's website and tried to install. But when i try to INSTALL Kies mini I get an error message saying Kies mini cannot complete UNINSTALLATION because it cannot locate Kies mini .msi file? Huh? a download that missing something?! what the...... Please help.

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking official ics? If so, it doesn't exist. are you on stock gingerbread or a custom ROM?

Sent from my cappy using tappy...