would you get this phone again?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Interested in hearing, how long you've had your phone?

If after using this phone, do you regret getting it, would you get it now, if you had it to do over?

I want to use it with my att go phone Sims.

Any help is appreciated,

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Got mine August 2010. If I had to buy the Captivate again today, no, I would not. Their are simply too many other phones that are available that are better. Dual core, faster processors, LTE/HSPA+, better cameras etc etc.

But if I could go back in time, yes I would buy this phone again in a heartbeat. It was the best thing coming out of AT&T at the time, not to mention one of the best selling series of phones ever. Sure, it doesn't have flash, but I'm buying a phone, not a camera. It has a 5MP instead of a 8 like the Droid X, I can live it, it looks great. No front facing camera--fine, I don't want/would never use that feature anyways. The Snapdragon is a snappy processor by nature. My GPS worked great with Eclair, Froyo, and now with Gingerbread. It does everything I need it to do and does it well. I never had the random shutdowns either, I think they were rather overplayed. 16GB of storage, expandable to another 16GB (maybe more with GB?) Battery life is good with Background Data on and just syncing Gmail mail.

Reactions: nonie

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks, my first choice was the things you mentioned, dual processor, 8mm camera, gb , hotspots, etc.

Which I was leaning toward the samsung gs2.
But att said the 4g wouldn't work on my go phone sims card.
I can understand not getting 4g, but they also said 3g wouldn't work either, even tho I currently have a 3g phone and data plan.

They show on there web site a captivate go phone, so assuming I can buy a unlocked phone and use my go phone sims in it.

My little samsung mythic, doesn't have wifi or as large of a screen.
That is why I'm looking at the captivate.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
thanks, my first choice was the things you mentioned, dual processor, 8mm camera, gb , hotspots, etc.

Which I was leaning toward the samsung gs2.
But att said the 4g wouldn't work on my go phone sims card.
I can understand not getting 4g, but they also said 3g wouldn't work either, even tho I currently have a 3g phone and data plan.

They show on there web site a captivate go phone, so assuming I can buy a unlocked phone and use my go phone sims in it.

My little samsung mythic, doesn't have wifi or as large of a screen.
That is why I'm looking at the captivate.

I haven't seen the S2, but have read some complaints about the screen resolution and not being happy that the resolution is such that the screen is not really big enough for the apps.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well so far it's my most fav phone I've had. I am becoming interested in the Galaxy Note and I do want to get my hands on the Nexus and at least just play around with it and see what I think.

I haven't had any complaints about my phone or noticed anything I can't do with my phone. The only issue I have with any of these phones is I would love to have the battery usage of an iphone, but I don't know any non-iphone phones that have that kind of battery life.

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Just for clarification the captivate uses a Samsung hummingbird which is a lot snappier than snapdragon in terms of graphic processing. And yes back then I would have still bought this phone.

Tek120

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Well so far it's my most fav phone I've had. I am becoming interested in the Galaxy Note and I do want to get my hands on the Nexus and at least just play around with it and see what I think.

I haven't had any complaints about my phone or noticed anything I can't do with my phone. The only issue I have with any of these phones is I would love to have the battery usage of an iphone, but I don't know any non-iphone phones that have that kind of battery life.

Hey! I just saw this i'm at work right now, I love my cappy!! and yes if it was back in the day I would buy it again! Right now i'm looking at either the SGS2 or the Skyrocket HD (don't think its out yet).

I just recently bought the OEM battery for the Sprint Epic Touch 4G which is 1800mah the stock Captivate is 1500mah, the battery is a lil heaver and a weetiny bit thicker but it will fit under the stock battery cover for the cappy. I've had it for 2 days so far and already get way better times with the phone. I couldn't go a full day without connecting it to the charger now i can go a full day without having to plug it in to charge. Sorry ahead of time if this is a double/tripple post. I'm at work I don't have the original link where i bought the battery I picked it up for 24$ including shipping, heres a link I found while at work.

Samsung Epic 4G Touch 1800 mAh Standard Battery at MobileCityOnline.com

also here is the XDA link I had all my questions answered before i bought the battery

Galaxy S compatible 1800mah battery for $20 - xda-developers

Sorry if i broke any rules! just at work and wanted to share some tips!! i'll pop in later and introduce myself.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Tek120.

I also am looking at the i777 GS2, but as i said in previous post, I am using pay as you go with data, if I knew it would work, I would probably buy that one on Amazon.?

What to do, what to do? Lol.

Thanks for everyones Messages.

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine July 2010 and yes. Back then it was the best phone on ATT. Today too many options, so no. If your using it for pay as you go and it fits your needs go for it. Wifi works great, screen shows great resolution with a decent 5 mp camera...but find other phones that use "pay as you go" with the features u want and compare features.

Tek120-thanks for the links, I'm gonna look into that with larger battery.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
OP, get us a picture of your SIM. We can tell you if it's 3G capable. I know "4G" HSPA+ won't work on pay-as-you- go.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate

tsusala1951

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Captivate since Sept of 2010. I've upgraded it from the stock OS to Froyo in Feb of 2011 and Gingerbread last week. and I just downloaded the "Tethering bug" fix a half hour ago!! I would buy another one in a half heartbeat! Even tough AT&T in my experience suffers from one hand not knowing what the other is doing when it comes to assistance and there's a a definite "colloquial barrier" when dealing with Samsung's tech support chat, the unit itself is KILLER!!!!! I wouldn't swap it for an iPhone EVER!!

oxyg3n520

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I had my samsung captivate for exactly one year now. I would definetely get this phone again. Other phones with 4.5inch screens are too big for me and this 4" is perfect. Especially the new update that rolled out 4 days ago (finally) android 2.3.5, it made the phone much more snappier and better graphics.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Captivate since Sept of 2010. I've upgraded it from the stock OS to Froyo in Feb of 2011 and Gingerbread last week. and I just downloaded the "Tethering bug" fix a half hour ago!! I would buy another one in a half heartbeat! Even tough AT&T in my experience suffers from one hand not knowing what the other is doing when it comes to assistance and there's a a definite "colloquial barrier" when dealing with Samsung's tech support chat, the unit itself is KILLER!!!!! I wouldn't swap it for an iPhone EVER!!

Where did you find a download to fix the tethering bug?

tsusala1951

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
In the forum under"Samsung Galaxy S Forums > AT&T Captivate >" click on "Fix the Tethering Bug resulting from the 2.3 Gingerbread update (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4) " The instructions are as clear as a bell!! good luck!!

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Have had this phone since 12/12 2010. Paid full price with everything 560$...never had ANY issues except the periodic shut down at night and CAPTIVATE STAY ALIVE program worked great...to this day no issues.....but I want 4G bad so I am going to sell this phone and buy a Galaxy II or Skyrocket...samsung makes pretty great phones, and I have been with AT & T for 12 years no issues!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles