4.1 on Captivate??

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
A simple question. Why can't the Captivate run 4.1(Jelly Bean)? I see the Nexus S is getting rollouts of 4.1. Don't they both have the same hummingbird processors?:confused:

Voliam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just read on Android and Me that a guy is running JB on a Captivate! I replied to him and asked if he could direct me to info about it. Hope to get a response from him!! Until then, I'm looking...

Voliam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Cody, I have read, and reread info on XDA (and a number of other sites), but have yet to find concise, step-by-step info (in one place). All the posts I have read are vague and seem to be written for folks who are well-versed with rooting/ flashing ROMs. While I am moderately technical with computers, I am a novice with rooting, and fear bricking my phone (paranoid with all the warnings).
I have also read a great deal of posts where folks like me are either ignored or berated for their stupidity.
I'm not expecting you or anyone else to hold my hand (by posting this), I just wanted to say that I have found rooting isn't as easy as so many claim it is.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes there are, and they work perfectly as daily drivers.

Sent from my phone, there's probably typos.

And they're not just re-skins of a 4.0 ROM? I have a hard time believing the hardware of a Captivate, which is pretty outdated now, can legitimately run full-fledged 4.1

sliceruk

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I am running JB on captivate currently, been running it for a few weeks now. It's really smooth and fast. XDA - HellyBean for Cappy.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Android Central Forums

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Cody, I have read, and reread info on XDA (and a number of other sites), but have yet to find concise, step-by-step info (in one place). All the posts I have read are vague and seem to be written for folks who are well-versed with rooting/ flashing ROMs. While I am moderately technical with computers, I am a novice with rooting, and fear bricking my phone (paranoid with all the warnings).
I have also read a great deal of posts where folks like me are either ignored or berated for their stupidity.
I'm not expecting you or anyone else to hold my hand (by posting this), I just wanted to say that I have found rooting isn't as easy as so many claim it is.

Sorry for the late reply, been on vacation and away from flashing. What do you struggle with rooting/flashing wise. I'd be more than happy to help you out!

And they're not just re-skins of a 4.0 ROM? I have a hard time believing the hardware of a Captivate, which is pretty outdated now, can legitimately run full-fledged 4.1

They are indeed full fledged 4.1 ROMs. I haven't gone into huge testing with them (as in whether or not they can be daily drivers) as I've long since moved on from the captivate. However I am running Slim Bean on the captivate and it seems to run just fine.

Voliam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Cody, the problem I have flashing anything is the vague instructions posted everywhere I've looked (variety of forums including XDA). I found excellent instructions on this forum to root with GB 2.3.5, and it was piece of cake following them.
I installed Busybox, Titanium BU, and ROM Mgr- all have superuser access. Uninstalled all ATT bloatware and phone performs better than ever! With the ambiguity of flashing instructions I have read, I am not comfortable trying to flash and ROMS due to the possibility of inducing problems on my phone (including, but not limited to, bricking).
While I continue to search for good step-by-step instructions. I have yet to find any. While I am pleased with my phone currently, I know I'm missing out on some cool stuff.

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Cody, the problem I have flashing anything is the vague instructions posted everywhere I've looked (variety of forums including XDA). I found excellent instructions on this forum to root with GB 2.3.5, and it was piece of cake following them.
I installed Busybox, Titanium BU, and ROM Mgr- all have superuser access. Uninstalled all ATT bloatware and phone performs better than ever! With the ambiguity of flashing instructions I have read, I am not comfortable trying to flash and ROMS due to the possibility of inducing problems on my phone (including, but not limited to, bricking).
While I continue to search for good step-by-step instructions. I have yet to find any. While I am pleased with my phone currently, I know I'm missing out on some cool stuff.

I've yet to brick any of my devices. I've flashed a ton of phones, both mines, and friends. For most major manufacturers as well. I will go ahead and shoot you a message so I can better help you out, so we can keep this thread on track.

BrianRay14

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Search on xda in the captivate android dev section. There are several JB roms that are making headway in leaps and bounds. I'm currently running cbalts version of helly bean v 24 with very minimal issues other than RAM limitations. There are tons of themes out for JB also. 124 last time i checked

Whoknowes

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Just JUMP IN... sink or swim so to speak... I was pretty much the same, didnt want to make it a pretty paper weight.. there are a few videos on youtube... check them out.. usually require downloading odin and a few other files the videos will do a "hands on walk through" and if not one then watch a few others... once youve seen how easy it looks, you'll decide if they can do it I can to.... I finally took the plunge and rooted and upgraded to a CM9 os, worked pretty good but started to get buggy... so I rolled back to stock 2.2 and then upgraded to 2.3.5....
patiently waiting for a white 32Gb Galaxy Note II.....

good luck :)

jfe58

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm running JB 4.1.2. on my Captivate. Best thing I've done. It's faster, less buggy, and I'm seeing fewer Force Closes.

I'm no expert, but if I can do it, so can you. Sure, I had problems but that's a part of the challenge. :D

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm running JB 4.1.2. on my Captivate. Best thing I've done. It's faster, less buggy, and I'm seeing fewer Force Closes.

I'm no expert, but if I can do it, so can you. Sure, I had problems but that's a part of the challenge. :D

Soft bricked mine trying to put slimbean on it. Had to Odin back to stock. even the experienced ROM flashers have had issues.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae