No lock on the GPS

smurph#AC

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to get a GPS lock on my Captivate. I downloaded GPS Test and started it this morning as I left home. Twenty minutes later, I do not have a GPS lock. It see's 3 sats, no lock.

Any idea's?

Also, does this device have a internal compass?

Thanks
smurph

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue, and tried the proposed solution with no luck. Sees the satallites, but won't lock on in there or in Google Maps. Anyone else?

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It definitely has trouble getting a GPS lock. I couldn't get one from home no matter how I tried. I did get one on the way to work this morning, but if it's that spotty, it will be a dealbreaker for me (along with batter life which seems to be abysmal)

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
What what I've been reading, it's a software issue not a problem with the GPS unit itself. I'm just having trouble finding a solution.

RonTheGeek

Jul 20, 2010
twitter.com
First, thanks for having me. While I'm not a new Android user, I am new to these forums.

My wife and I both have Captivates. I tried 2 fixes, one on mine and one on hers. On hers, I tried the above fix and had a lock in less than 5 seconds (north metro Atlanta).

For mine, I went into the GPS menu (dial *#*#1472365#*#*). Once in the GPS menu I set everything back to default (I had tried playing with some other settings, so had to revert everything back to default). Then went into "SUPL/CP Settings" and changed the Server FQDN Type to Auto Config from Custom. Next went into Application settings and turned SkyHook on. After a quick reboot, everything was working perfectly.

I saw this fix on another forum just can't remember where, but it worked for me. Maybe others will find it useful.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
First, thanks for having me. While I'm not a new Android user, I am new to these forums.

My wife and I both have Captivates. I tried 2 fixes, one on mine and one on hers. On hers, I tried the above fix and had a lock in less than 5 seconds (north metro Atlanta).

For mine, I went into the GPS menu (dial *#*#1472365#*#*). Once in the GPS menu I set everything back to default (I had tried playing with some other settings, so had to revert everything back to default). Then went into "SUPL/CP Settings" and changed the Server FQDN Type to Auto Config from Custom. Next went into Application settings and turned SkyHook on. After a quick reboot, everything was working perfectly.

I saw this fix on another forum just can't remember where, but it worked for me. Maybe others will find it useful.

I really like all of these suggestions and they are really helping me to learn a lot about this phone. Unfortunately, this one and all previous have not worked for me.

In 3 days, I've only gotten a GPS lock on this phone 1 time and that was driving to work this morning. And I've tried lots of combinations of things.

Looks like I'll be heading to my local ATT store....provided I don't have to use GPS to find it ;)

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My GPS finally started to find a lock... don't know if it had anything to do with playing with those settings, though. I'll keep an eye on it.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I was having the same issue and went into the setting and noticed that only the GPS was checked and not the option to use the network. So just for kicks I checked to use the network also and now my GPS locks immediately. Might be a coincidence but it worked for me.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same issue and went into the setting and noticed that only the GPS was checked and not the option to use the network. So just for kicks I checked to use the network also and now my GPS locks immediately. Might be a coincidence but it worked for me.

I can get a decent position - not real accurate - using that, but that's not a solution to no GPS.

Looks like I'll be taking this thing back. It was fun while it lasted.

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

After I did this, my GPS started working much more consistently. Also changed the Start Mode from "Hot" to "Cold" under the Application Settings. Overall, I think the problems stem from this phone having a "weak" GPS receiver. Inside a building, you don't have a chance. Outside and driving, however, I have been getting very accurate locks.

Google Maps/Nav blows my mind with how well it works. Just as good as, and in some cases better, than my TomTom. Plus, you can view the actual satellite images on the map as you drive! And it works over EDGE! And you can open up your pre-planned routes from the online Google Maps!

I think I'm in love.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I can get a decent position - not real accurate - using that, but that's not a solution to no GPS.

Looks like I'll be taking this thing back. It was fun while it lasted.

I didn't mean to just use the network but to use it in addition to the GPS. Now I have both options checked and the GPS locks perfectly. It's so good that if I walk to the other side of my house it sees the difference on the map.

Again it may have been a coincidence but since I checked both options everything works fine for me. Before I had the network option checked, weatherbug, maps, YBmoblie, etc... wouldn't lock on my location but now it does.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I didn't mean to just use the network but to use it in addition to the GPS. Now I have both options checked and the GPS locks perfectly. It's so good that if I walk to the other side of my house it sees the difference on the map.

Again it may have been a coincidence but since I checked both options everything works fine for me. Before I had the network option checked, weatherbug, maps, YBmoblie, etc... wouldn't lock on my location but now it does.

Correct, have both options checked and you are good to go. Locks fast and works flawlessly.

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
After also activating both the "GPS satellites" and the "use wireless networks" option, I, too, have seen a dramatic increase in GPS performance.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
But I don't think it's using the GPS at all. It's getting an approximate position for me (which is almost a quarter mile off) from the wireless networks only.

In fact, if I turn off the GPS part and just leave the networks, I still get the same result.

That means that true GPS really isn't working....at least for me.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
But I don't think it's using the GPS at all. It's getting an approximate position for me (which is almost a quarter mile off) from the wireless networks only.

In fact, if I turn off the GPS part and just leave the networks, I still get the same result.

That means that true GPS really isn't working....at least for me.

Stupid question but have you rebooted the device?

androidnewbie

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
hi everyone,
I gave up my iPhone 3g for the captivate. I'm having some issues with it,gps not locking up at all i tried many different settings still no luck,battery went from 90% to no charge all of the sudden, i used kies to convert a video to mp4 it plays fine on the computer but gives me a error on the phone. ill play with for a couple more days,it might go back to att.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz