Played with the Captivate in the store for a little bit, was able to replace some lag while switching screens with the animated background, but didn't play around with switching apps too much. I currently have an iPhone 4 and looking to make the switch to Android. I do have a lot of money invested into the Apple ecosystem so I don't want to bail for a worse experience.

Is people having issues with severe lag while switching between apps?
    07-19-2010 12:00 AM
    I have no lag at all.
    07-19-2010 12:12 AM
    I just made the swap from iPhone 4 today. I'm keeping it around incase the captivate doesn't work out. So far so good, feels like a "big kid" phone compared to ios. Its not as nice to fondle that's for sure but its on par with a 3g.

As far as lag, none. I couldn't use a evo because of the fps cap and lag feeling it gives so I'm pretty sensative. I use adw launcher and done use many Widgets yet so maybe that's why I have no problems.

Any questions fire away, this has been a super hard decision but I think I'm better off on the captivate.
    07-19-2010 12:36 AM
    It isn't.
    07-19-2010 12:58 AM
    I haven't seen any lag, it's amazing. Even though I've filled my contacts with hundreds of Facebook friends, pictures and info (I'm one of the few people who actually wants that, I know), the scrolling is as smooth as you can imagine.

It's all working great so far.
    07-19-2010 02:54 AM
    The units in a store likely have every single program running since many people "play" with them. Don't make a judgement on that, and get some hand sanitizer on afterwards...
    07-19-2010 09:12 AM
    It definitely has more lag than my HTC Aria which was zippy as hell.
    07-19-2010 02:30 PM
    I've only had mine a day, but I'm not getting any lag. Someone else said they had some problems with multitasking. I'd like to hear about more tests on that. The only multitasking I tried so far was to play some of my mp3's and surf the internet a little (on wifi), and I had no hiccups on that either. It was very smooth. Another thing, I think some people think there's lag on swiping from screen to screen. I thought this initially, but then I figured out it is just the very precise way the OS handles the touch of the screen.

It's kind of hard to explain, but when going from screen to screen, it doesn't start flowing on it's own until your finger lifts of the screen. So, you could move the screen very fast for like an inch with your finger, then lift up, and then it moves the rest of the way on it's own which is slower. So, that change in speed looks kind of like lag. Once I understood this I really liked it because you can move screens around so fast. I'm not positive, but I think the iphone has a limit on how fast screens move, no matter how fast you swipe. This seems to be only limited to how fast you move your finger.
    07-19-2010 03:13 PM
    I have no problem moving screen to screen. My lagginess is experienced when opening programs from the homescreens.
    07-19-2010 03:19 PM
    This is the zippiest phone i have had in a long time. Faster then other android phones and way faster then my 3G iphone. The ONLY lag i see, is adding an app shortcut to the home screen - for some reason that list takes a couple seconds to pop up. In 2 days there is no lag, and I don't kill task and i have not rebooted.
    07-19-2010 04:29 PM
    I just made the swap from iPhone 4 today. I'm keeping it around incase the captivate doesn't work out. So far so good, feels like a "big kid" phone compared to ios. Its not as nice to fondle that's for sure but its on par with a 3g.

As far as lag, none. I couldn't use a evo because of the fps cap and lag feeling it gives so I'm pretty sensative. I use adw launcher and done use many Widgets yet so maybe that's why I have no problems.

Any questions fire away, this has been a super hard decision but I think I'm better off on the captivate.
    Now that it's been a few more days, can you let us know which phone you prefer overall -- and why?

I'm trying to decide which of these 2 phones to get for myself.

Thanks!
    07-25-2010 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD