Wifi With 3G

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else noticing the phone still showing a 3G or edge connection while connected to wifi? I thought the data antenna was supposed to turn off with wifi on. Any ideas on why this may be happening?

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It should turn off automatically. If for some reason there's a bug then 3 options

1) Wait till smasung provides an OTA fix.
2) have a homescreen widget to toggle 3g on/off. This may be a pain since youd actually have to monitor when you are on wifi
3) root the device and install a custom rom that should take care of this issue.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. It looks like it was a service stuck running that didn't get killed via the task killer that was keeping it on. A reboot fixed.

ctann

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else noticing the phone still showing a 3G or edge connection while connected to wifi? I thought the data antenna was supposed to turn off with wifi on. Any ideas on why this may be happening?

Thanks, I didn't even realise that was a feature. Mine was "stuck" too, and rebooting the phone fixed it. I wonder if that means I have been using the AT&T network for all my data for the last 24 hours, rather than WiFi...

Chris.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I checked my phone and the 3G icon was there even though I was on WiFi. I decided to download 3G Watchdog and set it to show the icon only when the 3G is active. I'll have to watch it over the next few days.

The real impact will be if it improves the battery life.

l1ghtn1ng

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue on my iPhone before all I would do is reset it and I wouldn't have a problem. I'm guessing the Captivate will be the same. I'm picking mine up in a few hours can't wait!

CBPilu

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My issue isnt quite the same but for some reason whenever I try to turn on wifi my browser stops working. I've tried connecting to several different spots with good reception and its always the same issue. Any ideas?

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing where I have perfectly good wifi signal yet can't connect to anything. Everytime I have seen it and I go into the Wifi settings I get prompted for the secure credentials password, which I don't even have enabled. Once I enter that it tends to work again. Not sure if its a bug, a coincidence or what but very weird.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Seen this occasionally on other android phones.

Fast fix:

Pop to airplane mode. Count to 10. Turn airplane mode off.
Won't work on a call obviously.

Data transfers in the background might be hanging up keeping the phone active on 3g. You can't move a secured connection from one interface to another. So closeing all web pages might help as well

lcgo

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi.
I'm new to Android. I just got the Captivate and I can't get connected to any work network. the phone can we the network but after I type the password the phone doesn't connect. Can someone please help?

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Connecting to work - we use peap, but I had to use my username as ID and windows password, NOT the WEP password the admins had provided. It's a long shot, but worth trying.

AoN

lcgo

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the info. I'm not trying to connect to a work network. I have tried at my home network and at a friend's house network.
At home, I'm using an Apple router. At my friend's, we were using his iMac as the wireless router.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey