Help with Contacts - Groups

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't see my Google contacts groups, nor can i find any way to add groups.

If I hit the Groups tab, I see Corporate and Google (Exchange Sync and Google Sync), but there are no menu options - the button does nothing. I can create new contacts from the main tab, but nothing for creating groups.

Also, I don't see any of the Google groups that my contacts are assigned to in the web interface.

Did Touchwiz drop the ball on all this?

naplesbill

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I believe the contacts need to be in the phone in order for the groups tab to function correctly. For now, I just used the free AT&T Address Book (addressbook.att.net) from the menu and then exported my outlook contacts to a CSV file. After importing the CSV file to AT&T Address Book (it's a free service) I synced my phone with AT&T and all my contacts now reside in the phone. This also enables custom ringtone assignments. The final step was to sync with Facebook and Google and link the accounts. I now have full contact customization.

Once you have contacts on the phone, the Groups tab will show a few standard groups and you can select menu, create group. You can then go into each group and add contacts.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I believe the contacts need to be in the phone in order for the groups tab to function correctly. For now, I just used the free AT&T Address Book (addressbook.att.net) from the menu and then exported my outlook contacts to a CSV file. After importing the CSV file to AT&T Address Book (it's a free service) I synced my phone with AT&T and all my contacts now reside in the phone. This also enables custom ringtone assignments. The final step was to sync with Facebook and Google and link the accounts. I now have full contact customization.

Once you have contacts on the phone, the Groups tab will show a few standard groups and you can select menu, create group. You can then go into each group and add contacts.

I wish ATT would not do this - how many more sync services do we need running on the phone.

Argghhhh.

I guess everyone just has different needs, but if someone is using Gmail, why would they also want ATT address book? Why not use Gmail when it is free, and now your Android phone has access to Google Voice and all kinds of other goodies.

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip - my contacts are now all linked and grouped. By using the ATT service, the contacts even pulled in the LinkedIn pictures. Interesting.

hayesb2

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I understand people's only trying to help, but this is NOT how Android contacts are supposed to work.

AT&T and Samsung has hosed up one of the main benefits of the Android OS, and that is use of the Google Cloud system...

Its very simple, when you update contact/groups on your phone, it will reflect the update in your Google contacts everywhere...on your PC, Google voice, etc...and vice versa, if you update on the PC through gmail, or any other google service it then syncs up to your phone.

Nowhere is it expected to be required to use AT&T Address book for these services to work...

fmichigan

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

I am un able to add contacts to the groups at all.

Groups/Add Member and it's just a blank black screen that says "No Contacts"
Hard Menu just buzzes at me. Hard search button lets me look up contacts but no way to add them to the groups.

I have 583 contacts on my phone, not sure why I can't group them on the phone, on outlook or on gmail.

Any help would be appreciated.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hayesb2:

"AT&T and Samsung has hosed up one of the main benefits of the Android OS, and that is use of the Google Cloud system..."

Perhaps a different perspective:- AT&T force (?) the use of their cloud as an incentive for the user to remain an AT&T customer (after the current device). No different than Google embedding their cloud everywhere.

AoN

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hayesb2:

"AT&T and Samsung has hosed up one of the main benefits of the Android OS, and that is use of the Google Cloud system..."

Perhaps a different perspective:- AT&T force (?) the use of their cloud as an incentive for the user to remain an AT&T customer (after the current device). No different than Google embedding their cloud everywhere.

AoN

But it is different. EVERY Android phone, iPhone and some others sync with Google now. You can't say that about AT&T address book. You could move to UK tomorrow and by a new phone, and sync your contacts right back. But, Groups should not dependent on ATT address book.

ctann

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Do other phones keep the Google groups when syncing? I am finding this really annoying - I just want to display or sync certain groups from my google address book, and not others, and it seems that this is an impossible task (without extreme hacks such as maintaining two google accounts). I tried AT&T address book, but that didn't recognise groups when I imported either.

Chris

l1ghtn1ng

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a different question about syncing contacts with google though. Can I sync the contacts on my phone to google? Because I don't have any of them backed up but I want to

naplesbill

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a different question about syncing contacts with google though. Can I sync the contacts on my phone to google? Because I don't have any of them backed up but I want to

Just open Contacts, select menu then more, now choose Export to SD card. This will give you a backup of all contacts sync'd to your phone. You can also then import that file and copy all your contacts to the phone address book.

naplesbill

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, groups are not dependent on AT&T at all. This appears to be an issue with Samsung and the Contacts apk not supporting in phone custom options for sync'd contacts. I discovered an even easier way around this that doesn't involve using AT&T Address Book. Just sync all accounts you would like in your address book and then do the following:

Open Contacts
Hit the menu button
Choose the more option
Select Import/Export
Select Export to SD card

This will copy all your contacts from all accounts to a vcard file on the SD card.

Now open Contacts again
Press the menu key
Select the more option
Select Import/Export
Choose the Import from SD card option

This will copy all your contacts to the internal phone address book. Now you can use all the customizations you want (ringtones, groups, etc.).

This seems to me to be something that could be corrected via the Contacts.apk or by using a replacement. I'm not too concerned since I found an easy, in phone solution. Of course, it would be better if it just used the Google groups but eh...

hayesb2

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The simple fact is, AT&T and Samsung has BROKE the Google contact functionality.

On other Android phones, it works perfectly fine...the google contacts AND groups between your phone and gmail sync both ways.

Its no different than the calendar on your captivate. Have you noticed the calendar works perfectly fine between your phone and Google calendar? Update one and it updates the other...It does not require having 2 google calendars, nor does it require an AT&T calendar, nor does it require exporting to a SD, and re-importing...

At&t/Samsung has 3 MAJOR issues which need resolved -

1) Fix MMS issues
2) Fix GPS issues
3) Fix Contact issues

magic8tor

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Can't add to Groups using Gmail

I have T-Mobile and a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S).

My GMAIL contacts sync perfectly with my MAC using vCards and all GROUPS come in automatically. All CONTACTS sync instantly with my Samsung EXCEPT I don't get ANY groups.

Further, I can't EDIT even manually edit groups on the phone. You pick a Group (e.g., Family) and it's got a nice + Add member. Click the + and it says "No Contacts", but I have hundreds in the phone. It just won't let me pick any of them.

If you try to select a Contact and hit the menu button all you get is EDIT. There is nowhere while editing a Contact to add it to a group.

CONCLUSION: Prior post is correct about Samsung, just has nothing to do with AT&T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech