GPS problems, even after fix

thenameisgabe

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So i've had the captivate for about a week, before the GPS fix came out it took forever to get fix, if I even could.

Now once I did the fix I can get my location, but it is very inaccurate. It is a lot more accurate if I have wifi turned on. I tried using google nav the other day with it and it seems to not know where I'm heading, and will constantly repeat the same commands.

Now, I know its a-gps and all, but do I really need to have wifi on for it to work correctly?

Is there a problem with my phone?

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I doubt there's anything wrong with your phone, the gps on the captivate just doesn't seem to work well. I'm just going to wait a while to see whether things get improved-that said, gps is not critical functionality for me, I see it more as an incidental gadget.

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
In addition to the slow to get a lock problem , I have another one. When I do get a lock and the screen comes up to show my route, I don't have any voice directions. It worked once when I first got the phone, but every since then I get no voice directions, just the creen display showing me the route. Any ideas?

Thanks
JW

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
In addition to the slow to get a lock problem , I have another one. When I do get a lock and the screen comes up to show my route, I don't have any voice directions. It worked once when I first got the phone, but every since then I get no voice directions, just the creen display showing me the route. Any ideas?

Thanks
JW

Google Nav will never give you the voice real-time guidence unless you have a full GPS lock. Instead, it will give you the normal directions display updated via your wireless network position when it detects that you've passed the previous step. You're probably never getting that true GPS lock. This is just my observation since I've been playing around with mine everywhere I go testing the GPS. For a few days, it was perfect. For the last couple days, I've had no GPS lock.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, even though the replacement phone I received works better for GPS (after the fix), it still has times that it can not give me a signal that is accurate to more than 1000 meters. I know that it's just using the cellular towers and not being able to lock on to satellites.

The first phone would never lock on to satellites at all....at least this one does on occasion. I can't believe something this big could get past their quality control.

zer0chance

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
GPS is essentially useless on my Captivate, along with apps like navigation, Layar, etc.

Even after the suggested fix that changes the AGPS server, I either get no fix or it takes FOREVER. Often the Tricorder app shows that 8 or 9 sats are in view, but it just refuses to give a fix. On the rare occasion there is a fix, it does seem to be accurate.

As know1 said, it is astounding that they let this defect ship. I'm not sure I can commit to 2 years of this, so I hope Samsung comes out with some clear statement about this before my 30 days are up.

Too bad, because otherwise this phone is great...

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The GPS issue has been confusing and frustrating me constantly. Over the weekend, I couldn't get a GPS lock to save my life. On my drive to work this morning, I had GPS Test running and it locked on to EVERY satellite in view, flawlessly.

I'm going to start blaming the northern lights, or solar flares, or UFOs or something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL