Look What I Stumbled Upon: More on the GPS Issue & Samsung

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Guys...

I'm feeling very confident that the update from Samsung is coming :). I just got off the phone with Samsung myself. I talked to a guy who created a ticket and transferred me to mobile tech support. The next guy I talked to confirmed that the GPS issue is something that they are aware of. He went on to say that an update was "definitely coming", in his words :). He even said that he recently talked to a guy (who had an AT&T Captivate), who says he's gotten the update. I had been contemplating on returning the device, but I was going to give the situation more time before making a decision. My conversation with Samsung, coupled with the thread link in the original post, leads me to conclude an update is definitely in the near future :D.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see this issue is being resolved..

No point in having us trying to solve the issue through 10 step fixes that are marginally effective at best. If Samsung can provide a quick fix then I'm all for it.

Good that they are taking charge and resolving issues at a rapid pace and not deflecting and trying to hide the issue. I'm sure they could make up some story how all smartphone gps's struggle from receiving satellite coverage. Very happy to see they are just trying to fix the issue.

Hopefully this fix comes soon and closes the GPS issue.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've quit attempting to fix it myself. It SEEMS as if a true fix is imminent although I will believe it when I see people actually claiming to have received it.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I never even tried the "fix". I read the threads an noticed enough people claim it didn't work. Didn't see the point in messing with settings that I had no knowledge of.

Figured I'd just wait it out. Hopefully Samsung has the solution for us.

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Can you post all of the original settings? I am not sure if I have messed around with too many settings. Thanks!

Application settings:
Session type - Tracking
Test Mode - S/W Test
Operation mode - standalone
hot start
GPS plus - ON
Dynamic Accuracy - ON
accuracy 50
skyhook OFF
pc tool OFF

Supl/Cp
Custom config - www.spirent-lcs.com
Port 7275
Secure Socket ON
aGPS mode - supl

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok! Just spoke to Samsung Level 3 tech support and that short answer was.. "Exchange your phone". There was NO mention of any new OTA patch/fix. I asked that specifically. She mentioned that there were a couple of new internal emails discussing the need to make sure Wifi and GPS were both checked in the Setting under Location & Security. (Really?? No Shi!t?) grrrr!

I am not posting this to say anyone else's info is wrong but rather to convey what I just heard. I am going to call again and see if I get a different answer before I return my phone.

Please post of you have similar or different experiences.

Last edited:

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
All the contradictory information on this GPS software update is driving me nuts! :p
One could argue that the easy, short answer is "return your phone" and that, maybe, the most recently shipped phones have the update from the factory. I don't really want to return my phone though... I mean, I'll even wait for a whole sweeping update when Froyo is ready if I have to, but it would be nice if the company would just put out a statement about what's going on.

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
OK. Ready for this? I decided to perform a "Factory Reset" on my phone in advance of returning it. For giggle though I rebooted while sitting outside. You will never guess what occurred... Sat lock on 9 count them NINE satellites. Downloaded Google Nav and it seems to work well. I lose lock every so often but it re-acquires it. I am using the ORIGINAL GPS info as well as using WIFI under Location and Security. I am going to run like this for a bit then if it get bad again I will try the FIX post at previously at AC.

You might try it! Who knows?!

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ready for something even more odd?
My latest observation: the phone will get near-instant and stable sat locks on almost every one it sees, but only in the morning. In the afternoon, I get nothing.

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Ready for something even more odd?
My latest observation: the phone will get near-instant and stable sat locks on almost every one it sees, but only in the morning. In the afternoon, I get nothing.

And when standing on one foot while wearing a blue shirt eating fruit loops the exact moment the dog barks....:cool:

j32driver

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Sheeze. This topic scares the heck out of me. I'm a Verizon customer trying to decide between the X or the Fascinate when it comes out. My current phone is a Samsung Omnia. The GPS on it has been dog crap since it was 1st manufactured. They supposedly put out a fix, mine worked for a couple of days and after 1 1/2 years can best be described as a pathetic attempt at GPS in a phone.

Nice to see Samsung hasn't changed. GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Sheeze. This topic scares the heck out of me. I'm a Verizon customer trying to decide between the X or the Fascinate when it comes out. My current phone is a Samsung Omnia. The GPS on it has been dog crap since it was 1st manufactured. They supposedly put out a fix, mine worked for a couple of days and after 1 1/2 years can best be described as a pathetic attempt at GPS in a phone.

Nice to see Samsung hasn't changed. GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the X....I think it looks better than Verizon's version of the Galaxy S. Whatever you decide, check out the forums from owners of the device to get a feel for it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt