Have a question

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was in an area that only had edge. I could make calls and sent and receive texts. However I could not use data. Now with my iPhone I could. So my question is why. Is there a sitting I have to set? Or is it something else? I really like this phone, but could be a deal breaker.

Any ideas?

Stromson

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
It's been a while since I've owned an iPhone, but I don't recall there being a "Roaming" option; it just kind of did it automatically. Now that you've set up data roaming, I'd try to visit a known EDGE-only area (shouldn't be hard :p) and see if it works. I've also had data freeze out on me if the EDGE signal is present but kind of sketchy.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The only other datapoint I'm aware of is that a poster here on the forums couldn't send large images from their camera, and I *think* that was on EDGE also - you might want to search for that and see if it bring up any useful hits.

Maybe also call AT&T customer service, and see if they can shed any light on the problem?

Hope this helps,

AoN.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Roaming and Edge don't mean the same thing. Data Roaming means you want to use data on another carrier - the carrier sign would NOT say AT&T on the phone - you are roaming.

With Edge, you can not use voice and data at the same time. So if you are a call, you can't use Data. Texting uses Voice, not data. I have many phones not quite get the data connection setup when moving between Edge and 3G. Try going to airplane mode and back next time.

you should be able to use data when you have an Edge connection.

As for chargers, if you are in the US and on a standard AT&T plan, then roaming is free. Even for data. Although the fine print does say, that if you use to much data they may charge you. They are just trying to avoid people from buying an AT&T phone that don't live in an AT&T coverage area from abusing things.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Alphadog- good info on data vs voice usage. I'd only mentioned data-roaming as that seemed to be the one potentially hidden switch (that I'd noticed) which might affect things.

I travel overseas- the ability to turn off data while roaming means fewer bill surprises.

AoN

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
OK, here is update for my question on data and data roaming.

Called AT&T and asked about data roaming and if there is any charge. No charge as long as you're in USA. However, if you're traveling along border be careful as you could pick up signal from other country. That was nice to learn.

Now with data roaming on I had no problem getting data. Worked great. Also found out iphone wouldn't get data unless data roaming was on. So both phones work the same. Other then I can do a lot more with the Captivate.

Again thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae