Cut & Paste?

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Was playing with a Cap in store and is the cut and paste only for all? Is there not a way to select the text by dragging the portion to size like you want on the iPhone or Droid X? Seemed to be you copy the entire URL or none, was I doing something wrong or does it operate different then those other devices?

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You can select one word by double clicking the word and hold it to bring up the Menu to Copy and then you can paste it... As for dragging, I have not tried but I can in a bit...

HTH,
Charlie

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
That's what I saw. One word or all. No way to select a phrase and resize to the portion you want. Didn't think manufacturers had to add that. Would have thought 2.1 handled it. Weird.

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
you can select what you want but its just really hard to do since you cant drag to select. you have to tap to the point that you want to highlight and it gets really frustrating.

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Hold down the ?123 key on the samsung keyboard- it switches to the copy & paste keyboard with arrow keys to help you select what you want.

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm disappointed with the copy/paste support overall. iOS has a really nice method for that. Does anyone know if it's better in Froyo?

Off topic, it's been very interesting coming over from iOS to Android. Android has awesome power and amazing features that make the phone align much closer to what I want (notification area and widgets just to name two). On the other hand, iOS has great usability features (copy/paste, keyboard). I hope they both continue to improve on one another.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm disappointed with the copy/paste support overall. iOS has a really nice method for that. Does anyone know if it's better in Froyo?

Off topic, it's been very interesting coming over from iOS to Android. Android has awesome power and amazing features that make the phone align much closer to what I want (notification area and widgets just to name two). On the other hand, iOS has great usability features (copy/paste, keyboard). I hope they both continue to improve on one another.

i agree. i'm coming from ios4 and a 3gs, but love this captivate. the widgets are so awesome as is the tray. i'm going to have to try the holding the 123 button now.

AndroidForMe

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I am so disappointed that you cannot copy and paste from emails. I mean what an oversight. Wasn't it android people making fun of iphone people and how they couldn't copy and paste in the past? Huge letdown..

Reactions: IvanWatkins

lillejord

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hold down the ?123 key on the samsung keyboard- it switches to the copy & paste keyboard with arrow keys to help you select what you want.

That's nice to know. Unfortunately the Samsung keyboard doesn't have the word prediction.

Also didn't know you could change the Samsung keyboard into a phone number pad or a handwriting space... Pretty cool despite being mostly useless.

GKrumm

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am so disappointed that you cannot copy and paste from emails. I mean what an oversight. Wasn't it android people making fun of iphone people and how they couldn't copy and paste in the past? Huge letdown..

Just long press where you want to start copying and a menu comes up to "Select All", "Cut All", and "Select Text" i think (phone not in front of me)

If you "Select Text", just short press where you want to end the selection and it does it.

Let me know if thats not what you were looking for.

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Just long press where you want to start copying and a menu comes up to "Select All", "Cut All", and "Select Text" i think (phone not in front of me)
That doesn't appear to work generally in the Gmail app (unless it recognizes some text pattern and then you can copy that text). But selecting text to copy does not work for me.

GKrumm

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't appear to work generally in the Gmail app (unless it recognizes some text pattern and then you can copy that text). But selecting text to copy does not work for me.

I'll have to double check GMail when I can... I remember this working in text, web, and other places.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

You CAN do this ... on the original, press and hold (for a long time) the copy area, it will turn red and eventually a menu will pop up with options to copy, cut, paste etc. In new text/email/whatever, press and hold (again for a long time) in the copy area. Again, the menu will pop up and you can paste. Then edit, if there's too much.

Not sure how to select certain sections other than to touch and hold for a specific word.

NeilQ

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
ALL 3 input method keyboards can do copy/paste of any chunk of a message. It will copy from a text message into an email, but it won't copy/paste from an email to another email or text....
... example: view a recent text. Touch the message to get cursor to one end of the text block you want to copy. Press and hold the message window - a menu pops up offering option like, select text, delete, copy, paste, etc. Choose 'select text', then re-touch message to place cursor at the other end of the text block to be copied: it will blue-highlight the selected text. Press and hold the message window, select 'Copy'. Now navigate to another received (or new) text message, or to an outgoing email, press and hold message window, and select 'paste' and voila! In it goes.
It's a bit clumsy having so many steps, but it works - and for all three keyboard types!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs