Don't know if this is what everyone is looking for but my GPS has been a mess like so many others. I stumbled upon this video in a forum, followed the instructions, installed the program and it has made a big difference. GPS now locking in on all related programs.

Hope it works for you. Hope we get a permanent fix as well. Love this phone. Don't need an issue like this to influence my thought process about keeping it our returning it.

08-10-2010 06:34 PM
    Wow - that worked for me ... inside the house where it's never worked before.
    08-10-2010 06:43 PM
    I installed that program and it seemss to make a huge difference. I was able to get a quick fix indoors and I have never been able to do that before.
    08-10-2010 07:52 PM
    Installed it, ran it, made no difference. AoN
    08-10-2010 11:01 PM
    This worked for me, even worked inside. But I can see how having to do this every time you want to use your gps can be annoying. Hopefully Samsung sends out the fix but for now this works for me.
    08-10-2010 11:21 PM
    Did this work with the original GPS settings or the supl.Google.com fix? Cuz its not working for me
    08-11-2010 07:52 AM
    Did this work with the original GPS settings or the supl.Google.com fix? Cuz its not working for me
    Same here... I get locked on fast while outside (as usual), but nothing inside.
    08-11-2010 08:09 AM
    Here's what I found that works best for my GPS issues. I used Method #1 (and followed user Bob's comments):

Fix the GPS on Your Samsung Galaxy-S Based Phone (Vibrant, Captivate) AndroidSPIN | Your No.1 source for Everything Android.

I locked within 30 seconds with 8-10 satellites showing and 5-7 locked. This worked well for the first day. However, on the second day I started having issues again. I use task killer frequently and will normally go in and stop any services that I do not recognize at least once a day. Once I stopped going in and manually stopping services, I stopped having any issues. This morning when I checked my location on the map it locked almost instantly. I figure I must have been stopping some service that has to do with location tracking and once it gets stopped, it has a hard time re-starting, unlike every other service that seems to re-start every 30 seconds. I also have task killer set to automatically kill every time the screen goes blank (aggressive) and on the high setting, so it doesn't see every little task that is going on.
    MustangMatt429 likes this.
    08-11-2010 08:45 AM
    Here's what I found that works best for my GPS issues. I used Method #1 (and followed user Bob's comments):

Fix the GPS on Your Samsung Galaxy-S Based Phone (Vibrant, Captivate) AndroidSPIN | Your No.1 source for Everything Android.

I locked within 30 seconds with 8-10 satellites showing and 5-7 locked. This worked well for the first day. However, on the second day I started having issues again. I use task killer frequently and will normally go in and stop any services that I do not recognize at least once a day. Once I stopped going in and manually stopping services, I stopped having any issues. This morning when I checked my location on the map it locked almost instantly. I figure I must have been stopping some service that has to do with location tracking and once it gets stopped, it has a hard time re-starting, unlike every other service that seems to re-start every 30 seconds. I also have task killer set to automatically kill every time the screen goes blank (aggressive) and on the high setting, so it doesn't see every little task that is going on.
    This actually made an improvement for me. Still not great, but locked within 10 seconds to an accuracy of 10 meters. Much better than 2 minutes to lock to 1 mile accuracy.
    08-11-2010 09:44 AM
    Option 3 worked for me and worked fast.
    Thanks
    08-11-2010 11:03 AM
    Is it me, or does the author of that article look 13?

Not that good technical information CAN'T come from a 13 year old, but just sayin'...
    08-11-2010 11:29 AM
    Doesn't matter to me, seems like it worked but I never really used my GPS before. The one time I did I had no issues so I wonder if it was worth me doing this.
    08-11-2010 12:48 PM

Wow...it actually worked. I did option 1 and got a solid lock within 10 seconds and kept it...inside the lab at work.

It's funny...I've tried that method previously and it didn't work.
    08-11-2010 03:07 PM
    Same here I finally got the GPS instead of Wireless to connect. Then I tried the Maps and Navigation program and they both worked. Still it didn't locate me on my block but the block behind me at my neighbor"s house.
    I wish I can get Amaze to load on my phone but it will not work even with the Side-load Machine. Plus I went walked my dog and used the NAv program and my phone was dead in 15 minutes. That is not good for when I am tracking in the woods and try to see where I am. Thank goodness this is a back up and not my GPS device for that. Then I use TomTom in the car.
    08-12-2010 12:39 AM
    It was short lived for me. It worked the first two times I tried and then last night it wouldn't work again.
    08-12-2010 07:53 AM
    It was short lived for me. It worked the first two times I tried and then last night it wouldn't work again.
    The same thing happened to me the first time. Now it works flawlessly. I did two things the second time I tried it - 1) I stopped manually stopping services, and 2) the second time I rebooted the phone twice after I entered in the information. I don't know if any of those things really had anything to do with it working or not, but I am on day 3 of it working fine.

Also, it is working a lot faster the more I use it now. It was taking almost 2 minutes to get a lock in my office, but now it takes about 10 seconds.
    08-12-2010 07:58 AM
    I'm just going to copy and past what I posted over at the xda forums:

Originally Posted by lillejord View Post

I had seen somewhere (probably in this thread) that all these fixes work because they suggest restarting the phone and that its is actually the restarting of the phone that fixes the problem. I decided to to test this out. Since I have never had a problem locking on to satellites--no mater what settings I used--I decided, after reading that comment, that it might be because I often reset my phone. I intentionally avoided restarting my phone for a few days. Yesterday I was seeing 11 satellites and connecting to 5-8 while sitting inside, but then last night I could see 9 but couldn't connect to any while out side. This morning the same thing- could see but couldn't connect. After restarting my phone I could see 11 and connect to 8. Seems to me that the settings don't matter much and the restarting (refreshing data?) is the actual fix.
    As far as that program? I use it sometimes but mostly I use GPS Test. I use them to test my GPS connection, which is what they are for. I figure that additional time going between apps is no different that sitting in google maps for a few extra seconds.
    08-12-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by lillejord View Post

I had seen somewhere (probably in this thread) that all these fixes work because they suggest restarting the phone and that its is actually the restarting of the phone that fixes the problem. I decided to to test this out. Since I have never had a problem locking on to satellites--no mater what settings I used--I decided, after reading that comment, that it might be because I often reset my phone. I intentionally avoided restarting my phone for a few days. Yesterday I was seeing 11 satellites and connecting to 5-8 while sitting inside, but then last night I could see 9 but couldn't connect to any while out side. This morning the same thing- could see but couldn't connect. After restarting my phone I could see 11 and connect to 8. Seems to me that the settings don't matter much and the restarting (refreshing data?) is the actual fix.
    I've been locking on without any problems for the last 3 days since I made the changes I noted earlier. I do not restart my phone unless I absolutely have to and have not done it since I made those changes. Before I made the changes I couldn't even see any satellites, let alone lock onto them. I would wait for 10 minutes without seeing anything.
    08-12-2010 04:14 PM
    Its been working for me too. I run the GPS TEst program before I fire up google navigation. Once I have lock I start google navigation. So far so good
    08-12-2010 05:09 PM
    I exchanged my captivate for a new one yesterday for three reasons.

1. Speaker was crackly
    2. Home button got stuck
    3. GPS didn't work

After getting my new phone I haven't had any of the same issues. GPS locks in the house within 15 seconds.

Love the phone!
    08-14-2010 04:32 PM
    Had something weird happen with Google Maps - it started force closing on me and then told me to do a data dump by typing in *#*#9900#*#*. I finally ran the data dump and then GPS starting taking 2-5 minutes to lock again. I had to re-enter the fix from before and shut down twice before it finally started working fast again. Anyone else have this happen? September can't come fast enough - thinking about swapping mine out before my 30 days is up if they don't come out with a fix soon.
    08-24-2010 03:05 PM
    i think when you remove At&t nav then the gps don't work any more
    others gps app find 6 to 8 sat with no problem,but Maps FROM Google don't
    10-07-2010 02:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD