change mail app

Hotnicks

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I got my captivate a few days ago and I am very pleased with it. Unfortunately the only down side I have found is that the stock mail app leaves alot to be desired.

I did some research and dl-ed the K9 mail app. This is MUCH better, but not quite enough to replace my BB mail addiction.

My question is, now that I have K9 setup, how do I go about "deleting" my accounts from the stock mail app? While the stock hasnt shown me any emails received today, i would not want to have 2 apps telling me I have new mail.

thanks in advance for your help!

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Start the stock email.

Hit the menu button and select Accounts

Long press on the account and then select remove account

Hotnicks

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
my goodness... I can't believe I didnt figure that out myself... so simple.
thanks
BTW - I've been getting emails all day via K9 (both hotmail and yahoo), and nothing has showed up on the stock email app since I set it up last night.

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Like you, I started with the stock email and then switched to K-9. I did not delete my account in the stock program, I just set it to never check :)

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
MAILDROID by far has been working great for me, there are just a couple things I am missing or have not figured out yet. Also the developer answers almost instantly and I mean I got a reply at 2am.
I did try k9 and it was ok but for me maildroid works better.

Hotnicks

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I might try MailDriod as I am seeing some old emails (as far back as 2006) as a "new" emails on K9. Even after I open it, it automatically gets deleted after a while, and a while later shows up as new again...

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I might try MailDriod as I am seeing some old emails (as far back as 2006) as a "new" emails on K9. Even after I open it, it automatically gets deleted after a while, and a while later shows up as new again...

Let me know how it works. A major update is coming today as well.

Hotnicks

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Havent made the move to MailDroid yet. I ended up moving all my Inbox mail to a seperate folder so that I can get K9 to only show me new mail. It is working well so far, new emails show up on time (I have it checking every 30min), and I am not getting repeat "new" emails.

I'll let you know if I'll give MailDroid a try.

gslivingston

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just got my captivate after being a hard core BB user for years. Stock mail client really disappointing. K-9 gave me the simple previous & next arrows I needed to cruise through my emails.

Question: do i have to keep the Gmail client on my phone in order to stayed synced to the Google world now that I have K-9?

Hotnicks

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I just dl-ed MailDroid and will give it a try for a bit. I am still getting the oldest email in my inbox constantly delivered to me as "new". Also, I cannot seem to keep read emails on my phone.

I hope MailDroid works better with my Hotmail...

Hotnicks

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I must say that MailDroid works much better than K-9 - at least with my Hotmail acct. I have been pleased with MailDroid the last few days. However, twice I have found an already read email appear as a new "unread" email on my phone. Not sure what this is about...

I have just found this entry Gmail as push mail server and have set my Gmail up to "fetch" my Hotmail and push it to my phone. Working well so far - I will provide feedback in a few days.

bolbim33

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
how to save emails on phone with k9

With blackberry, the emails actually save on your phone itself. even if you have no wifi or 3G, you can still read the emails that were downloaded already.

with k9, i have to have an internet connection in order to read emails. and not only that, it takes forever (1 to 3 seconds) to actually open an email. it's usually loading for many seconds. very annoying coming from a blackberry. i want to fall in love with this android, but certain email functionalities are just not what the blackberry can offer.

is there anything i can do to have more blackberry-like performance on the email?

i'm using a samsung captivate on ATT

thanks!

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
With blackberry, the emails actually save on your phone itself. even if you have no wifi or 3G, you can still read the emails that were downloaded already.

with k9, i have to have an internet connection in order to read emails. and not only that, it takes forever (1 to 3 seconds) to actually open an email. it's usually loading for many seconds. very annoying coming from a blackberry. i want to fall in love with this android, but certain email functionalities are just not what the blackberry can offer.

is there anything i can do to have more blackberry-like performance on the email?

i'm using a samsung captivate on ATT

thanks!

In the latest version of MailDroid, Indexing and preloading was added so that you can get the full body of an email downloaded to your device. However, this is a setting that you must turn on.

retnuh

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I really like Maildroid for several reasons.
1. You can set it to only download the email headers. I don't want to waste my time downloading the body of a bunch of spam emails.

2. The combined account box gets all of my emails at one time.

3. To delete a bunch of emails, you don't have to select each one individually. You can select all and delete all.

The one BIG drawback to Maildroid is in forwarding mail. You can't just open "contacts" and click on each one you want to include. You must begin entering the name of the contact then select it from contact offerings. You can develop a "group" of contacts and send the email to everyone in the "group"; however, the recipients of my forwarded emails fluctuate too much.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I am a HARDCORE blackberry guy and run an online business through my blackberry. I got a Captivate for my mom and loveee the phone, but the emails are way delayed.

I am ready to switch over to a Droid, and I want to stay with AT&T for the family plan, so do these mail apps result in more immediate emails? I don't subscribe to AT&T's enterprise data plan, but all of my emails from about 7 email addresses varying from aol and gmail, to my business emails come to my phone immediately.

If I can get this to happen with a Droid phone on AT&T, I'm switching. Can anybody comment if this happens with these 3rd party apps? Thanks.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am a HARDCORE blackberry guy and run an online business through my blackberry. I got a Captivate for my mom and loveee the phone, but the emails are way delayed.

I am ready to switch over to a Droid, and I want to stay with AT&T for the family plan, so do these mail apps result in more immediate emails? I don't subscribe to AT&T's enterprise data plan, but all of my emails from about 7 email addresses varying from aol and gmail, to my business emails come to my phone immediately.

If I can get this to happen with a Droid phone on AT&T, I'm switching. Can anybody comment if this happens with these 3rd party apps? Thanks.
If you rely on email for your business the only way I would switch from a BB to android is if all your accounts are on gmail. IMO none of the email solutions are up to par with BB or iphone for that matter, except with gmail. maildroid and k9 are improvements to the stock but not quite as reliable as a BB or iphone. Again my opinion. I use a BB for my business email. I have a captivate for personal emails.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma