SOLVED! 'android.process.acore' error when clicking on certain Google-synced contacts

thepuke

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Captivate for me and my wife yesterday, and very quickly became frustrated after syncing our Gmail accounts to our respective phones. Upon entering Contacts and clicking on random entries?I later discovered that it wasn't random?to see contact details, we'd get the "Sorry! Process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly." error message. I tried syncing her contacts to my phone and the same thing happened. My contacts came up just fine; no problems at all. Power cycles, battery pulls, hard resets, etc. had no effect.

Finally, this morning, after doing some good ol' Google [re]searching, I found a bit of information about this happening when data was unable to sync. That was the clue I needed, and the pieces all came together when I tried entering a new contact from scratch on the phone. When I got to the birthday field, I noticed my wife didn't have a year for the particular contact, and when entering the information through the phone's interface, it wouldn't let you leave that information blank. Most of my wife's contacts had birthdays with no years, and it turns out that all of those contacts were the ones that crashed the Contacts program. I had her go into Gmail and delete or complete the birthdates, and now all of them work fine.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the frustration we went through!

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Nice find - Google controls the gmail sync - they never should have let that slip by - either on the gmail input side or the sync side.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I don't understand what the problem is? I just created a new contact through the phone interface by entering a name only and was able to sync it to my gmail contacts.

thepuke

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The problem, apparently, was "incomplete" data... i.e. a birthday with month & day, but no year. Apparently, the Contact manager is not smart enough to just ignore that missing bit of data, and crashes instead. As I said, either adding the year OR deleting the birthday entirely fixes the issue.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I see now. You had entered part, but not all, of that particular data and found the glitch. Gotcha. I knew there was something I was missing...

scrimothy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I have no gmail contacts

Hi,

(Unrooted HTC Incredible | Froyo)

I've had the whole process.acore unexpectedly stopped error too. I've only encountered this since upgrading to froyo. Most posts that I see that "answer" this problem have to do with issues with Gmail contact sync. I just recently set up a new gmail account (which is the only gmail account I've loaded onto my phone), so I have no contacts at all in this account. There must be another problem, right? Do I just need to factory reset? If so, should I back up my apps too, or is it better for stability to redownload them all fresh?
Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
Jimmy | Scrimothy

maxwell_steuer

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Android.process.acore -- Need help!

I understand the issue with the "unfulfilled" birthday fields for contacts. I spent about an hour last night linking all of my contacts with their facebook accounts. Many of them exclude the year, so when it syncs with my phone, the year is blank. Is this causing the android.process.acore message?

Also, when "linking" contacts, it gives me the option to link to their facebook account and also google. I chose both of them for most contacts. Is there a problem with this?

NEW ANDROID USER HERE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs