Recalibrating Your Battery...

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
This procedure seems overly complex. Where did you get this?

Use the phone till it shuts off by itself due to exhausted battery.
Charge till 100%.

Problem solved.

Works on all L-Ion battery devices.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The Wikipedia article on Lithium Ion batteries is pretty interesting. It leads me to the conclusion that you should just use it all you like and charge it when you can.

These (wave the magic dead chicken) steps might help a little, but ultimately, the battery will deteriorate after a while.

Dead chicken was my opinion too. This whole procedure is pointless.

L-ion batteries and their charging circuits are well known for mis-reporting capacity UNTIL the battery is drained to the point that the battery's internal cut-off takes the battery off line. Then, and ONLY then, does the charge controller know just how low this battery can go. It now knows where ZERO is.

So use the phone to exhaustion shutdown. Then charge to 100% (let it charge overnight).

Repeat once every three months if needed. Normal usage will simulate this over time so you many never need to do it again.

AllergyDoc

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I did this Friday, was done by 1:45, and 49 hours later it was at 4%. Prior to this I had to charge every night. Used the Navi for an hour, downloaded stuff, and other light use--nothing really heavy like video, etc.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
A lot less than you would normally with your phone, I bet.

The problem with these procedures is that regardless of whether they do or don't work, most users will modify their behaviour to maximize battery life (for some short period) afterwards, and then claim amazing results. There needs to be an objective test- so many minutes of screen powered on, so many minutes of phone use, wifi, etc., pre and post battery calibration / training / insert appropriate phrase.

Just my observation (of myself),

AoN

AllergyDoc

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
What was it you did?
I assume you mean recalibrating the battery as per this thread.

As for my phone use, I'd been working on increasing battery life all week, thanks to great forums like this. I use DCSwitch+ to turn 3G off until I want to use it (which is rare because I have WiFi at the office and at home). It's a widget and works great (apparently). This weekend I used the GPS for a short 50 minute trip. Lots of light-to-medium use on Friday and Sunday, a fair amount of WiFi surfing. I turn WiFi off when I go to bed. I don't have a lot of auto updates running in the background.

I'm certainly not a heavy user compared to others. I rarely used my old Sony/Ericsson. In fact I avoided using it. :) The Captivate is great, however, and I'm sure I'll be using it quite a bit.

mbuxx

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am trying this tonight...i hope it works... Im barely getting 10 hours and barley web browsing..mostly texting and emailing

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

mbuxx

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Did nothing for me... :-(
Running stock 2.1 unrooted.
Brightness all the way down
Sceen timeout 30 seconds
Running launcher pro plus
Beautiful weather widget and tapatalk only widgets running.

Did this callibration, and status is:
Unplugged for 31 min and 94 percent battery.

Did light web surfing and watched a 2 minute video and made a 30 second voicw call....can anyone recom,end anything?

darkhelmet

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
ok, i have done the bump, but I would like to remove the batter stats. but when i run terminal emulator, It gives an error when I try to do the "su" it replies "su: not found" I am running the stock androd os on my captivate. What am I doing wrong?

mbuxx

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am not a very experience androider...but am learning quickly..you have,to be rooted in order to use the "su" command. Su = super user and in order to gain super user access, you must be rooted. So the reason su is not found is because you are running stock android platform. :) cheers

baxster

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
For those that keep going back to the technical charging capabilities of a Lithium Ion battery they are missing the key point with these phones...

The PHONE is wrong on how much charge is in the battery. It the phone thinks the battery is at 100%, it stops charging even it the battery has only 50% charge - and also if the phone thinks the battery has 1% it shuts off even if the battery has 60% charge.

When you load different ROMS and make lots of system changes, the phone tries to determine how much battery power is left, and it just isn't the best at doing that.

My phone shut off last night after running it down to 0% battery (not on purpose, just couldn't get to a charger).... when I plugged it into the charger it immediately said that it had 55% battery left.

The method described in this thread works, not because it defies the laws of science, but because it resets the phones tracking of battery % to allow it to be more accurate.

JayinToronto

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Rcalibration

Thanks Joey (hope you don't mind helping a Giants fan ;) )

I have had some success though it seems I've had to do this more than once.

I've noticed that after step 1 the % goes down immediately to 98%. I step 3 the icon is not fully green but it only takes a couple of minutes for it to be full.
On the other hand in step5 it takes at least twice the time if not longer.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
though battery status says full, the minute I disconnect it from the charger it says 97%

That is due to the system halting charge once it reaches 100% it will stop charging then drop down so far and start charging again this is to prevent over charging. Mine does that sometimes as well. When you see that instant drop to 97% its b/c you caught it in the middle of the drop cycle.

JayinToronto

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Slappy for the clarification. The good news is that the % is stable and the Battery Use feedback is much more reasonable. Before recalibration it exaggerated display use.

imapepper2#AC

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
For those that keep going back to the technical charging capabilities of a Lithium Ion battery they are missing the key point with these phones...

The PHONE is wrong on how much charge is in the battery. It the phone thinks the battery is at 100%, it stops charging even it the battery has only 50% charge - and also if the phone thinks the battery has 1% it shuts off even if the battery has 60% charge.

When you load different ROMS and make lots of system changes, the phone tries to determine how much battery power is left, and it just isn't the best at doing that.

My phone shut off last night after running it down to 0% battery (not on purpose, just couldn't get to a charger).... when I plugged it into the charger it immediately said that it had 55% battery left.

The method described in this thread works, not because it defies the laws of science, but because it resets the phones tracking of battery % to allow it to be more accurate.

OK, this makes sense. After reading this I will give it a try.

Linda_N

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try this tonight. I've had to carry my charger everywhere because my battery runs out before noon.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes