What should I do?

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
So I was running through a screen test app and noticed that on whites and colors, the entire left most line of pixels is all green. I'm out of my 30 days, but still covered by the year long warranty. What should I do? As far as I know this isn't considered physical damage, since I didn't break or scratch the screen, so that means that I'm technically covered by the one year warranty. Can I go into my local AT&T store if that's the case and get a replacement?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So I was running through a screen test app and noticed that on whites and colors, the entire left most line of pixels is all green. I'm out of my 30 days, but still covered by the year long warranty. What should I do? As far as I know this isn't considered physical damage, since I didn't break or scratch the screen, so that means that I'm technically covered by the one year warranty. Can I go into my local AT&T store if that's the case and get a replacement?

Thanks in advance

I see it on the grid pattern - very brightly; some on white screens. I bet it is something in the way the screen is made.

Report back what AT&T says - also if you see it on a new phone.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine that if the entire left column (up/down?) of pixels were green you would have noticed it during every day use. Before you get worried about this, make sure that the problem is not caused by the screen test application. Maybe try an all-black background and see whether the problem persists.

If you really do have a screen issue, alphadog's suggestion is smart- check the new phone before you leave the store.

AoN

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I made sure to test it with multiple apps and it definitely is there. I don't believe its an issue with how they're made because my friend's Vibrant doesn't have the same issue, and neither did any of the in-store Captivates (didn't have my phone with me at the time, sadly). Alphadog says he sees it on his as well, so maybe it is wide manufacturing error or something? On blacks its fine, colors it produces a checkered black/color pattern.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Tried to upload screenshots, but the pics don't show the single green stripe - although on the phone they do. So it seems to be in the display although the pictures don't show it.

I guess i would have to take a pic with another camera of the entire phone.

Now that I know it is there, i can see it in other apps - it doesn't show on all black backgrounds - i have one.

But if you open the web browser and go to google.com - an all white page - it is quite visible. Basically on all white pages it is obvious but on all black pages it is not.

Wakefulpanda

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Tried to upload screenshots, but the pics don't show the single green stripe - although on the phone they do. So it seems to be in the display although the pictures don't show it.

I guess i would have to take a pic with another camera of the entire phone.

Now that I know it is there, i can see it in other apps - it doesn't show on all black backgrounds - i have one.

But if you open the web browser and go to google.com - an all white page - it is quite visible. Basically on all white pages it is obvious but on all black pages it is not.

This is perfectly normal for this phone due to the "Pentile" display that Samsung uses. Here are a few links. If everyone looks close enough on a white background they will see that the furthest pixels to the left are green and have nothing to be worried about. I took mine back to the store also and asked about this and I was shown the other display models as well as another Samsung phone that also had this line. Some people physically cannot see it with their own eyes others like me and you can.

PenTile matrix family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nouvoyance.com/files/pdf...suring Display Resolution RGB L6 12-17-07.pdf

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=736305

Hope that helps.. you don't need to take your phone back :)

Last edited:

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I see what you are talking about, it's hard to see, but if I go to google as you suggest and rotate the phone so that the left hand side is on the bottom, I can just notice the green line of pixels. It's very hard to notice and looks more like a slight blurring on the edge than a line of green pixels.

In truth, I'll probably never really notice it in normal use, and it's not worth my time to try and get it swamped out. It also appears that it's the kind of issue that may be a normal part of the manufacturing process. It may not actually be a defect in the screen, it may just be an issue with closes to the edge, combined with LED placements for the backlight, that make it appear to be a green line of pixels.

(edit: I originally wrote the above while Wakefulpanda was posting theirs)

lthomas926

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have really good eyes and when I look at it, it looks like its blurring and really trips my eyes out. Was not a good idea for me to keep looking at it lol

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
This is perfectly normal for this phone due to the "Pentile" display that Samsung uses. Here are a few links. If everyone looks close enough on a white background they will see that the furthest pixels to the left are green and have nothing to be worried about. I took mine back to the store also and asked about this and I was shown the other display models as well as another Samsung phone that also had this line. Some people physically cannot see it with their own eyes others like me and you can.

PenTile matrix family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nouvoyance.com/files/pdf...suring Display Resolution RGB L6 12-17-07.pdf

Green line of pixels down left hand side - xda-developers

Hope that helps.. you don't need to take your phone back :)

Hmmmm...thing is a ran the same app and several others on my last Captivate, and other Galaxy S phones and didn't notice this, where as on mine its clear. Maybe I just didn't pay attention?

Wakefulpanda

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm...thing is a ran the same app and several others on my last Captivate, and other Galaxy S phones and didn't notice this, where as on mine its clear. Maybe I just didn't pay attention?

You may not have noticed it on your first one or maybe it was less visible. I can confirm however that the display models at the ATT store have the same line.

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I'll check some more phones when I get the chance and report back. If anything its good to know that I have a reason to exchange it if any other issues arrise. I'm sure the average att employee has no idea how pentile matrix works.

Last edited:

Wakefulpanda

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll check some more phones when I get the chance and report back. If anything its good to know that I have a reason to exchange it if any other issues arrise. I'm sure the average att employee has one idea how pentile matrix works.

Very true I would classify the average employee at ATT as the average employee at Best Buy if ya know what I mean.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood