Everyone should send complaint to Samsung.

kaljr82

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I would, but my GPS has worked perfectly since day one.
Takes about 25 seconds to lock on but once it is locked on it stays locked on.
Have used it a dozen times and not problems at all.

mbranscum

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I sent mine in last week.

New Captivate comes today, and if it is as bad as rev.1, bye bye Samsung and AT&T.

Crying-Baby.jpg

jp712

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I just emailed Samsung about the issue.

It is not crying about a non issue and tweaking with the settings isn't fixing it for me! I have tried just about every permutation that I can come up with in the LBS Test settings and it hasn't helped.

It may help once or twice, but not constantly.

Live in an metro area with NO gps and tell me its not a pain in the A$$!
Can't dodge traffic on streets I don't know, can't reliably get to meetings or find stores... uuugh This could be a deal breaker!

jp712

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
REPLY From Technical Support

So I JUST got this seemingly form letter reply in my inbox. Figured I would share:

"
Dear Jared,

Thank you for your inquiry and taking the time to inform us about this issue concerning your Captivate.

Regarding your concern on the GPS capabilities of your phone, Samsung Mobile is aware that under certain conditions, the GPS on our U.S. Galaxy S devices may not be meeting performance expectations. We are diligently evaluating the situation and will provide an update as soon as possible.

We are unable to speculate when or if a software revision addressing this feature might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com%2Fus%2Fsupport%2Fdownloads&token=amqqIMcC

Thank you for your understanding and continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

"

Maybe there is hope, but there not saying... hah

gmanunited

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I will send them a letter. I agree that what ever I have done the ****
GPS does not work. I have not rooted yet. But I just love the Side load wonder machine. Too bad it cant side load a GPS FIX......

Sent.....

Last edited:

leecallen

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Is the GPS problem really software?

I want to share my experience, it might be new information.

2 weeks ago my wife and I both got Captivates. After making exactly the same tweaks to the GPS settings in LbsTestMode, hers works great and mine does not. Side by side. She picks up 7-10 sats with good SNR, I get between 0 and 3 and they are mostly SNR<20.

As far as I can tell we have exactly the same versions of firmware & OS.
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I897UCJF6
Kernel version: 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2

Am I missing something significant in identifying the software versions?

This suggests to me that the problem isn't software/firmware. If that's the case, it seem unlikely a software/firmware change could fix it.

It also explains why some people have great GPS performance and others don't.

We are within our 30 day window, so I have requested 2 replacement phones. Hopefully the GPS will work on at least 1 of them. If it doesn't, I will probably cancel our contract, send everything back, and start over again.

lillejord

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Do people not know how to search forums and the internet? This is an old issue and Samsung has publicly announced that they are working on a solution and that it should be ready sometime this month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech