Fascinate battery compatibility in a Captivate

HomeChicken

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll be going on vacation this week and I wanted to get a spare battery for my Captivate in case I drain my battery during any flight or layover where I can't find a plug, so I went hunting around for the Samsung charger+battery accessory. I discovered that AT&T doesn't sell batteries in their stores/kiosks but does have a spare battery without charger to order online for $30, T-mobile doesn't carry any in their stores or on their website, and Sprint does but costs $50 for the charger+battery and I can't seem to find it in stock in any stores. Finally I found the charger+battery at Verizon for $40, and after using my co-worker's company discount I got it for $30.

I assumed any of the Samsung Galaxy S batteries are compatible with each other, so I swapped my Captivate battery out for the Fascinate and everything works just fine. The problem is when I try to charge the Captivate battery in the charger included with the Fascinate battery or when I try to charge the Fascinate battery while in my Captivate. When I plug it in the little LED indicator light turns red, green, orange, then shuts off. When I try to charge the Fascinate battery in my Captivate it crashes my phone. So I guess the battery chargers are compatible? I called Samsung with this issue and obviously they said I shouldn't be using a Fascinate accessory for my Captivate. I asked them why, and they said there "may" be problems in the future, which won't be covered under warranty. If AT&T just released the charger+battery as an accessory I wouldn't have this problem.

I will be returning the Fascinate battery/charger, but I thought I would share my experience so others don't have to go on this wild goose chase. I am leaving this Saturday for a month, so my plan is to order the Captivate battery through AT&t's website. After a company discount it's only $20 with 2 day shipping, hopefully it gets here in time.

Also, some people were wondering if the extended 2200mah Fascinate battery would work in a Captivate. Even if you were able to find a backplate to accommodate the thicker battery, I don't think you would be able to charge the battery with your phone.

Last edited:

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For flying-most seats in bigger planes have a power outlet. Pack your charger in your hand luggage, and check the seating plan of your plane. AoN

HomeChicken

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
My plane this time has a plug for me, but I do have a couple layovers and plugs in the terminals can be hard to come by, so it's nice to have an extra battery just in case.

Likho

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
HomeChicken: Yes the captivate, fascinate, epic 4g, and vibrant use the same battery.

you can pick up a spare battery from amazon: Amazon.com: High Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery (EB575152VA) for Samsung Galaxy S (Samsung Captivate i897, Vibrant T959, Epic 4G, and Fascinate): Electronics

How are you going to charge the second battery? I use a AC USB clip charger so I can charge both one on the clip outside the phone and the other via USB in the phone.

Here is the link might as well buy both together and get free shipping:Amazon.com: RND Power Solution's Smart Universal AC Battery Charger with USB port and Clip Charger with Adjustable Contacts: Electronics

Hope that helps good luck

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
According to Samsung they do NOT use the same battery.

The fascinate uses EB575152YZBSTD and it is blue
The captivate, Epic and Vibrant use EB575152VABSTD and it is black

Something is definitely different between these 2 batteries.

If you want to buy knock off batteries, spend even less and get them on eBay - 2 + charger for $10 shipped.

schoolboy

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought two samsung G7 batteries for $3.18 each from ebay sellers in China. The G7 and G9 are the same. These other deals seem like a rip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma