Single Screen Wallpaper?

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyone other than me that dislikes the fact that the wallpaper dimensions are for 7 screens (landscape) and not 1 screen (portrait)? I know it's a cool effect because it's different from other phones, but I've found it leaves me disappointed with my wallpapers.

For example, I've found lots of wallpapers that I like, but I can only see a portion of the image on each one screen. It would be nice to see it all EACH screen.

I realize that someone with photoshop skills could add borders to a desired picture to make the intended object centered and smaller in the photo, but that's a lot of trouble.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I guess I'm the only weirdo who would prefer to be able to see my entire wallpaper as opposed to a portion of it.

Griffspen

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe the ADW Launcher gives you the option to have the same single screen wallpaper show up on each of your home screens.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
No, its not just you. I can't stand it either. Launcher Pro allows you to set your wallpaper to not scroll around when you navigate. As for seeing the whole picture, I'm still trying to figure that one out. The "set as wallpaper" programming on droid phones leaves a lot to be desired. Why, for example, when I go to select an image, do I get a SQUARE to select what portion of the image I am going to see? The screen is a rectangle people! Not to mention that the part that you select isn't even properly represented when you actually select it...

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
No, its not just you. I can't stand it either. Launcher Pro allows you to set your wallpaper to not scroll around when you navigate. As for seeing the whole picture, I'm still trying to figure that one out. The "set as wallpaper" programming on droid phones leaves a lot to be desired. Why, for example, when I go to select an image, do I get a SQUARE to select what portion of the image I am going to see? The screen is a rectangle people! Not to mention that the part that you select isn't even properly represented when you actually select it...

Its a square, because of this very issue this thread is complaining about.

The launcher is composed of 3 to 7 screens, and the background shifts a little with each screen. On my phone its not a full screen's worth of shift.

So they give you a WIDER image selection window than you will actually see on any give screen precisely to support that scrolling wall paper.

With Launcher Pro, There is a setting which will keep the wall paper centered, so if you select your image square to be larger than you need, but with the desired view CENTERED you can achieve the effect of a single wall paper.
Sucks that you can't do this with stock launcher.

But after using that feature in LauncherPro, I find it looks really lame, and I quickly went back to scrolling wall paper.

The wallpaper selection screen is working as it was intended.
Welcome to Android.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
IceBike.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If it is square to accomodate the multitude of scrolling screens, then it should be rectangluar (long ways), to account for the extra width that the "extra" screens supply.

At any rate, its goofy, but not anything I would switch back to WinMo over. :)

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
IceBike.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If it is square to accomodate the multitude of scrolling screens, then it should be rectangluar (long ways), to account for the extra width that the "extra" screens supply.

Like I say, it doesn't scroll a whole screen's width when you move left or right, only a certain amount.

Therefore, they don't need it to be as wide as 3 (or 5 or 7) screens. They just need it to be wider than the physical screen, and no point in it being taller.

It makes perfect sense as long as you realize it was never meant to scroll whole pages.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Like I say, it doesn't scroll a whole screen's width when you move left or right, only a certain amount.

Therefore, they don't need it to be as wide as 3 (or 5 or 7) screens. They just need it to be wider than the physical screen, and no point in it being taller.

It makes perfect sense as long as you realize it was never meant to scroll whole pages.

It doesn't make perfect sense if I have a picture I want to use and I can only see a portion of it at any one time.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Seems the Market has a free app for this called "Multi Picture Live Wallpaper", works on my droid 2, don't know if it will work on the samsung

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
stored images question

Icebike,

In the stored pictures from my SD card from my previous phone every picture has the square on it.

What is the purpose and how does it function?

For the homepages image(s) are you saying that there is not an option to have an individual homepage image for each homepage?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Other than the stock live wallpapers I only tried using one of my stored pictures (from my external SD card) and it covered all 7 home screens.

What do you mean by a "central main point"?

irezloe217

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Take a picture, with the phone vertical (like you'd normally use it).
Try to set 100% of that picture (which filled the screen when you took the picture) to your wallpaper.
You can't. And then it zooms in a bit, and really insults the screen's incredible capability. I hate it. Setting a picture of my fiancee, car, dog, computer, whatever have you...is just a troublesome task that should be supported by an in-house feature.

starrk

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Captive and the only problem I have with this phone is this particular wallpaper issue. I do think the lack of an option for the whole picture on one screen is dumb. Ok some people like the scrolling veiw of our pictures but some don't. I severely disliked my iPhone but at least I could see all of my daughter's face on a single screen without a problem. If someone knows an answer to this problem I would very much like to hear it and if it can't be done its definitely something for the suggestion box. There is something wrong in the universe when iOs can do something Android can't. Lol :)

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Install Launcher Pro, and then PREFERENCES-APPEARANCE SETTINGS-DISABLE WALLPAPER SCROLLING.

There might be another way, but that is the way I know!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX