Android on AT&T

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I need some informed opinions.

I have a client who's on AT&T and wanted to go Android. She got a back flip and is going to swap it out for something else real quick. I recommended the Captivate.

Is there anything I should give her a heads up about? Is there a better Android device on AT&T right now? (I know, I know it's the Captivate forum) ;)

Thanks!

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Check out the HTC Aria - it's very popular here at work too. Smaller screen, and slower processor, but adequate for the job and means that battery life is better too.

AoN

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
We talked about the Aria. She likes the bigger screen of the Captivate, but she likes Sence also. I'm just not that familiar with what AT&T is offering these days.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything I should let her know about? I've been reading about the GPS issue. Is it really bad or just annoying?

Thanks for the input!

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree even so I am not using ATT there is only the captivate and the aria I would choose the captivate over the aria even so sense is better but she can root the phone and put sense like roms on to it or launchers she can find in the market. And if she could get the nexus one then that would be the Android on ATT to go with. There is also always an option to ditch ATT and go to Verizon and get the Droid x or Sprint and get the EVO or Epic. Lol just saying.

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
GPS is working but just not as flawless and accurate then it should be but there should be a fix for it at least on the epic there is.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree even so I am not using ATT there is only the captivate and the aria I would choose the captivate over the aria even so sense is better but she can root the phone and put sense like roms on to it or launchers she can find in the market. And if she could get the nexus one then that would be the Android on ATT to go with. There is also always an option to ditch ATT and go to Verizon and get the Droid x or Sprint and get the EVO or Epic. Lol just saying.

Unfortunately, she lives in one of the very few areas where AT&T is the only viable signal.

I had originally suggested the same thing. ;)

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok well ok the captivate then i would choose in her case is the best android phone on att and it looks pretty sweet. She cant go wrong with it.

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, she lives in one of the very few areas where AT&T is the only viable signal.

I had originally suggested the same thing. ;)

I had this same problem. ATT has the best overall coverage in my area. . . forget sprint unless you live near an interstate and verizon sux here. So I was stuck with ATT and looking to ditch Blackberry and sad *** OS6 (had the torch for 2 days). For me the Captivate screen sold it for me. Never using android and never really reading about it I didn't know the difference between TouchWiz and Sense and the Aria looked really small. Not a bad thing but the screen on the Captivate just had that WOW factor that won me over. After rooting and a lag fix and adding launcher pro plus I'm sold and doubt I will ever look back unless Android suddenly falls off a cliff.

wjkrysak

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the Captivate in a strong ATT environment. The GPS issues is not a big deal for me. I am waiting for update and expect Froyo update to make improvements. I would recommend Captivate. The AMOLED is a plus. Just my 2cents. cheaha bill. enjoy your comm.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a ton to everyone. I'll let her know about the GPS and the Lag Fix so she goes in with open eyes. She's not a tech dummy, but she is lazy on research. ;)

I hope you guys get your Froyo soon. I feel for you. The rumors, wait, confusion, and finally the update were a painful few months for us on the DInc forum.

If there is any other sage advice... I'm all ears!

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm still having some minor issues with the GPS chip in my 2nd Captivate, but it is definitely a software concern, so the new update should fix it.

Otherwise, I jumped from an iPhone to the Cap, and I'll never look back! Signal is much stronger, the phone is incredibly powerful, and being a tech geek, I can mod it as I see fit.

The learning curve is a bit different on the Android than the iPhone, but if she's using a Backflip, she will be twice as happy with the Captivate. My wife has the Backflip, and is chomping at the bit to get the Captivate. She keeps stealing mine when I'm not at work. lol

Dirt Mcgirt

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
If you are set on ATT then the Captivate is your best bet so far. I dont see anything in the pipeline for upcoming Droid phones. It's going to have it's little quirks, but so is any other phone.

I personally like the HTC phones, but my major gripe about the Aria is the size. No use having a smart phone if you have to deal with that small of a screen.