01-18-2011 03:42 PM
82 1234
tools
    Updated my stock phone. Haven't really noticed anything besides USB Tethering is now gone.
    09-22-2010 01:00 PM
    I un-did the EXT2 fix, removed the EXT2 tools, unrooted all with the One-Click Lag-Fix. Rebooted as necessary.

I went and did the software update. It found it, and installed.

I rebooted and necessary.

Everythink worked.

I'm getting a lower score than the one-click lag-fix on Quadrant (888 over 3G). It seems the I/O writes are still an issue. I don't have a lot of lag though.

The media scanner got hung up. I used "Fast Reboot" to get everything back in order. I may reboot to see if that improves. I didn't think it was any better than before. It seemed to hang up the phone like before.

I need to get outside to test the GPS. I may try that in a few minutes.
    09-22-2010 01:41 PM
    Just finished downloading with rooted one-click phone, not running the lag fix though, and everything seems fine so far. You can definitely get the update with a rooted phone, if there any issues updating because of it I guess I'll soon find that out.

~~~
    Oki everything went fine, it was taking forever to boot up after restarting, I started to worry but it eventually did and told I successfully updated. I'm still rooted and was able to take a screenshot no problem (the only real use I have for rooting right now). I hope this means Froyo won't be an issue when that update rolls around. I haven't checked the GPS yet but not that worried, I don't even need such exacting GPS personally.
    09-22-2010 01:46 PM
    how exactly does this update improve our voice calling experience? lol
    so vague

i manually checked for update and got the download in 1 shot
    took a few minutes to DL and then restart
    i thought something was wrong with my phone cuz it was stuck on the bootup screen for quite a while but everything went through

my phone is pretty much virgin - not rooted and don't have anything fancy going on
    09-22-2010 01:47 PM
    i thought something was wrong with my phone cuz it was stuck on the bootup screen for quite a while but everything went through
    Same thing happened to me. I should have included that. But, I knew once it got to the Galaxy S screen, it should be ok.
    09-22-2010 01:52 PM
    my DLs fine but fails when installing

I have a stock phone and have done a factory restore.

Still fails at 50% when installing
    09-22-2010 01:53 PM
    I'm rooted and one click lag fix. Can download fine but it fails to install at the 50% mark. Thanks to the person that posted getting around the 24hr wait by changing the date. I'm on my 3rd attempt now.
    09-22-2010 02:00 PM
    what is this "one click lag fix" everyone's talking about?
    09-22-2010 02:01 PM
    One side note on the installation, once the software is installed and it re boots it will hang on the "Galaxy S" logo for 3 to 4 mins...but don't worry it appears to be normal.
    09-22-2010 02:08 PM
    IS anyone taking out the sim card befoe applying the update?
    09-22-2010 02:08 PM
    IS anyone taking out the sim card befoe applying the update?
    I didn't, it worked fine, non rooted.
    09-22-2010 02:10 PM
    My 3rd attempt failed at 50% again. Changed date and went for a 4th try and it said no update. Checked my phone and it shows
    Firmware version: 2.1-update1
    Baseband version: I897UCJF6
    Kernel version: 2.6.29 atin@thor #147
    Build number: lagfix beta4-v1.6
    Anyone know if the way my phone is set up is causing the problem and if so how to fix it? Thanks.
    09-22-2010 02:14 PM
    what is this "one click lag fix" everyone's talking about?
    It's an app in the marketplace. You install it, then you can root your device and put the EXT2 fix on your phone to fix the lag issue. It works pretty well also.

I just went out to test the GPS on my phone after installing the FOTA. No luck. I used GPS test and in the space of two minutes, I could only get 0/2 satellites with no locks. I had a clear view of the southern sky also. Google Maps showed me 3 blocks from where I actually was.

It's a shame they didn't fix that. Better luck next time?
    09-22-2010 02:17 PM
    Anyone know if the way my phone is set up is causing the problem and if so how to fix it? Thanks.
    Do you have a task killer running by any chance?
    09-22-2010 02:17 PM
    Do you have a task killer running by any chance?
    Maybe, I do have one but the other day I disabled the auto kill. I'll remove it and try again...if I can get the download again, lol. Last 2 attempts gave me an error of not being able to talk to AT&T server.
    09-22-2010 02:22 PM
    Just a quick mention, but mine sat at the 50% point for an uncomfortable length of time before continuing on and installing successfully. Is yours actually saying that it failed or are you forcing something when it sits at 50% for a long time?
    09-22-2010 02:40 PM
    Since I'm on an iPhone data plan, will I have to search for it manually? Or will it be pushed?
    09-22-2010 02:42 PM
    Just a quick mention, but mine sat at the 50% point for an uncomfortable length of time before continuing on and installing successfully. Is yours actually saying that it failed or are you forcing something when it sits at 50% for a long time?
    It say's it failed and reboots the phone on it's own then when it comes back up it tells me the update wasn't installed. I think it has to do with my build number showing lagfix beta4-v1.6. I guess I'll need to undo the lagfix when I get home maybe....
    09-22-2010 02:46 PM
    Mine did the same thing, Sat at 50% for a very long time and just when I started to get worried, it successfully completed... Rooted and One click lag fix..Updated fine
    09-22-2010 02:58 PM
    Two questions. Do i need to unroot? Will the current lagfix still work after the update?
    09-22-2010 02:59 PM
    On getting a second try at downloading, if the date thing gets annoying to you the alternative could be;

I renamed /dbdata/databases/wssdmdatabase.db and rebooted and was able to try to d/l again. The file was then recreated.
    YMMV you brick it, you did it.

Maybe someone can build an app to correct the last updated time in this DB for rooted phones.
    09-22-2010 03:05 PM
    rolled my clock forward about 90 minutes past my 24 hours (was saying 10:28 pm at 1:53PM just moved the clock up 10 hours to 11:53) and the update went on. GPS looks better, at work, no time to mess with much else. (bone stock except some sideloaded apps).

ADS
    09-22-2010 03:18 PM
    Rahlquist do I need to be rooted / su to rename that file? AoN
    09-22-2010 03:38 PM
    " Google Maps showed me 3 blocks from where I actually was."
    That may not be a phone problem, Google Maps is incredible--but still full of bugs. They show all addresses in Sunrise (SE Florida) as being in Sarasota, on the central west coast.
    And their geocoding (which comes from NavTeq and others) is sometimes off by more than 1/2 mile. You can't be sure the GPS isn't working, unless you get the lat/lon coordinates from the GPS and compare them to the real coordinates for your location--IF you can be sure of them, because there are map datum errors and other GPS problems that can trip up the average GPS user.

FWIW.

BTW, can the update be down via a regular internet connection and computer? Or in the store? Or is AT&T really so brain-dead that it can only be done FOTA, when they complain so loudly that there's not enough bandwidth to begin with?
    09-22-2010 03:43 PM
    Apparently ATT has caught on to the date change because now I cannot change the date manually - it goes right back to today. My phone must be really screwed up because I have tried this no less than 10 times, re-flashed back to stock 4 times, did a master clear 2 times and it still doesn't work. Poor planning on my part with the date thing, instead of changing the date every time (I did this so many times I was forgetting what day I had changed it too) I started changing the month and now I have to wait until December for an update.
    09-22-2010 03:51 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD