10-11-2010 05:39 PM
54 123
tools
    I did a quick test. By no means definitive, but it looks OK to me.

09-22-2010 03:30 PM
    I wish mine was better. I finally got it to see 6 satellites but no lock.
    09-22-2010 03:42 PM
    Same here I got it to see 8 but a single lock
    09-22-2010 03:57 PM
    downloaded the update... it's nice that it came with GOOGLE NAVIGATION but it sucks that my GPS still doesn't work... WTH!?

i wonder if it's because I did the manual fix last week. now when i try to access the LBSTestMode menu it won't let me do it. is there a new passcode to access it again?

do you guys think it overrode the fix i did last week with this update?

the only time the it locks my location is when i turn the wireless mode on which won't help me if i'm outdoors.

comment?
    09-22-2010 04:01 PM
    now when i try to access the LBSTestMode menu it won't let me do it.
    Same here. That's odd. I wonder if they removed access to it?

Looks like others are having this problem too

lbs test mode gone ota patchl
    09-22-2010 04:04 PM
    Mine works great - nails my location too.
    09-22-2010 04:04 PM
    Every time I reboot my phone now it says congratulations your update has been installed
    09-22-2010 04:26 PM
    Did anyone do a factory reset before installing the update? My GPS seems to be unchanged (6-8 satellites visible, no lock) after the update.
    09-22-2010 04:33 PM
    Received update today, still no lock.
    09-22-2010 04:37 PM
    Received update today, still no lock.
    Same here. I get 2 satellites, but when my screen locks, I loose them.
    Also it takes about 5 min to get those 2 lonely satellites.
    09-22-2010 05:03 PM
    I just did a factory reset after installing the update. GPS seems to be much better now.
    09-22-2010 05:15 PM
    Same here. That's odd. I wonder if they removed access to it?

Looks like others are having this problem too

lbs test mode gone ota patchl

... this is why i didn't rush into installing this update...
    they probably disabled skyhook too
    09-22-2010 05:21 PM
    I got a lock with 4 satellites in the parking lot at school. At home...6 satellites and no lock.
    09-22-2010 05:34 PM
    After initial install I got a lock with 8 satellites. Just tried it again after 6 hours and now I can' get a lock. Makes no sense. I didn't install anything or change anything. Just normal email, mms stuff....
    09-22-2010 06:08 PM
    No matter how much I try the update my phone always says "Communication Failed" I've tried it via wifi, I've tried it OTA, about every combination of settings imaginable...anybody have any idea?
    09-22-2010 06:21 PM
    Just curious, how is everyone able to determine the number of satellites that you are locking up with?
    09-22-2010 07:59 PM
    GPS did not improve. Media Scanning did not improve. PC Internet connection is gone.
    09-22-2010 08:12 PM
    BTW, I did see an improvement, usually when I did lock on (took a long time) the best I would get in Google Maps was 50 meters. I now lock on faster and have about 10 meters.
    09-22-2010 08:27 PM
    Before the update I never used the gps test app, but still I know I rarely got a gps lock. tried all the various fixes, but got a lock maybe once or twice the first week I had the phone.

I didn't undo the fix settings in lbstest before the update, but then I've been hearing those fixes did nothing.

after the fix I wasn't getting a lock so i downloaded gps test, I see about 2 satellites on average. saw 4 for a brief moment. No lock after 10+ minutes.

Oh well I guess wireless networks will be good enough for the next two years before i upgrade again
    09-22-2010 09:39 PM
    Just curious, how is everyone able to determine the number of satellites that you are locking up with?
    gps test from the market for me. i get 9/9 from inside my room. way better than before =)
    09-22-2010 09:45 PM
    gps test from the market for me. i get 9/9 from inside my room. way better than before =)
    did you do the lbstestinfo settings change before the update?
    09-22-2010 09:57 PM
    i never did anything to my phone (root,gps fix, lag fix =/). i never used the gps test before, but i know that it never connected when i'm in my room(a garage >.>) but with the app, it connects in a few seconds.
    09-22-2010 10:02 PM
    I've been running JH7 for about three weeks now(It was leaked at XDA), and it did squat to improve my gps (It also didn't improve media scanning times from the JH3 test build, but that significantly improved from JF6, stock)

However, people who don't mind root and rom flashing, try out cognition on XDA. My GPS locks in about 1-2 minutes, and it's a solid lock. Not only that, it stays solid while driving. The reason is, samsung it OTAing JH7, which is an august build (H=August) whereas the GPS fix in cognition is ported from the vibrant build JI2 (I = september build), so the captivate is getting a relatively old OTA. In fact, general consensus was, it was just an internal test build, because of the minor improvements.

Just thought I'd give a heads up. Cognition also has a ton of other goodies (a true file system switch for a lag fix, root, bloat removal, mobileAP, true sideloading, a much improved, accurate to the 1% battery meter, and more) Anyone interested, here. Got a little of track, but yeah, this is much improved GPS over anything I've seen. I would barely ever see, much less lock on to a single satellite without it, not I'm getting amazing performance.
    09-23-2010 12:30 AM
    Be aware though that if you do flash a non-stock, or the one-click 'stock' (it wasn't) rom, it seems that you won't be able to use the OTA upgrade(s....?) from AT&T.

Lots of reports of this at xda (probably myself included).

AoN
    09-23-2010 12:49 AM
    I've been running JH7 for about three weeks now(It was leaked at XDA), and it did squat to improve my gps (It also didn't improve media scanning times from the JH3 test build, but that significantly improved from JF6, stock)

However, people who don't mind root and rom flashing, try out cognition on XDA. My GPS locks in about 1-2 minutes, and it's a solid lock. Not only that, it stays solid while driving. The reason is, samsung it OTAing JH7, which is an august build (H=August) whereas the GPS fix in cognition is ported from the vibrant build JI2 (I = september build), so the captivate is getting a relatively old OTA. In fact, general consensus was, it was just an internal test build, because of the minor improvements.

Just thought I'd give a heads up. Cognition also has a ton of other goodies (a true file system switch for a lag fix, root, bloat removal, mobileAP, true sideloading, a much improved, accurate to the 1% battery meter, and more) Anyone interested, here. Got a little of track, but yeah, this is much improved GPS over anything I've seen. I would barely ever see, much less lock on to a single satellite without it, not I'm getting amazing performance.
    The leaked JH7 is not the same as the OTA JH7. Designgears (creator of Cognition) and others have compared files and they are not the same.
    09-23-2010 05:54 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD