My Brick

Obeg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
My phone began the update yesterday - it downloaded to 34% in about 2 minutes and then sat there for 30 mins not doing anything. I finally clicked the CANCEL button because I needed to use my phone for other things. Later I went back to get the update and it said there was none available. I did see a "resume update" button so I clicked that thinking it would finish the download. No apparently it tried to install the update that was only 34% complete. Anyway - after a couple minutes the phone went black - never to live again. I took it to ATT and they couldn't get it to do anything either. So long story short - they overnighted me a new one last night. So can't complain about the service. But a warning to any of you that might have the update download not complete - you probably don't want to ever run the update!

Also - I have a lot of personal information on my phone - on the internal memory. I now have to ship that phone back to ATT. A little nervous about that. I have 4 high powered magnets sitting on the phone now to try and corrupt the internal memory card --- any other ideas?

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
It's almost impossible to actually brick a Captivate - I've been in a continuous reboot loop for 20 minutes before from trying out a different ROM and just gave up and flashed it back to stock. That being said, if they are sending you a new phone and you want data off of it or you want to wipe it, there is no way to do so unless you flash it back to stock using ODIN ([STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers). This will overwrite your program/OS files and personal account data, but any folders you created on your internal card will remain (unless you do the Master Clear). You can pull that data off and save it.

The only problem with using ODIN is your phone will probably be back to working status, so they may not take it back.

Obeg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
It's almost impossible to actually brick a Captivate - I've been in a continuous reboot loop for 20 minutes before from trying out a different ROM and just gave up and flashed it back to stock.

Nope this one is totally a brick. It will not do anything. It acts as if it is getting no power. It will not even blink when you press the power button. Plugging it in does not show any life or the "charging battery". Plugging it in via usb does not do anything - no life on the phone or no recognition from the PC. It truly acts like there is a hardware issue instead of software. If it did not happen during the update I would assume it just died hardware wise. The ATT guys (both geeks with Captivates themselves) said it was the first they had seen this dead.

So based on that - I don't think your ideas will help considering there is no way to flash it back to stock. Thanks for the response though.

kudvu002#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Please read his thread that he posted as your phone is not bricked. Take the battery out of the phone. Put the battery back in the phone with it powered off and hold down both volume up and down controls. While holding the buttons place the usb connection into the phone and you will be in download mode. Then use odin to flash your stock config be it jh3 through 6. ATT reps are not phone geeks like us, MOST of them have no clue or knowledge of phones like the actual users/hackers.

Obeg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Please read his thread that he posted as your phone is not bricked. Take the battery out of the phone. Put the battery back in the phone with it powered off and hold down both volume up and down controls. While holding the buttons place the usb connection into the phone and you will be in download mode. Then use odin to flash your stock config be it jh3 through 6. ATT reps are not phone geeks like us, MOST of them have no clue or knowledge of phones like the actual users/hackers.

Nope nothing. My phone does nothing. Even with no visible sign that it was in download mode - I still did the steps and plugged it into usb (I already have the drivers) and still nothing.

Just to see the difference - I put the new phone into "download" mode and I see what it looks like. But my old phone does not go into that mode.

CrimsonPride

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
your phone is completely bricked, the update did this to my phone as well. i contacted samsung as i bought it from bestbuy and couldnt return it to them, but samsung emailed me a free shipping label and i received a brand new phone a week and a day later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781