BoulderGeek

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, September came and went.

At the beginning of the month, I had a Captivate, and I was positively anticipating Froyo (Android 2.2) to be released to unleash the native power of the Captivate.

Now, as AT&T failed to deliver to their customers, I am glad that i returned my Captivate and terminated my contract. It was my first experience being an AT&T customer, and very likely my last. Seeing how they manipulate, delay, bloat their phones with crapware, and still operate a spotty network with poor 3G speed, I know that I made the right move.

Too bad. the Captivate has the potential to be a great device (if it had a discrete camera button and flash). But, getting rid of AT&T and a device with Android 2.1 on it made my old Nokia much nicer to return to.

After my Android (EVO and Captivate) experiences, I am going to sit out all Android phones until LTE rolls out. i wish the best of luck to those who didn't return their Captivate.

BoulderGeek

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That's not wha' cho' Momma said...."bunger"...heh heh.... I bet that is a highly apt name for you.

I am getting an Archos 101 tablet when they are shipped on the 15th, however. so, you can still see my brilliance around.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
While I am waiting for 2.2 as well, being a cappy owner, I really don't see any issue with the phone. Its fast. It plays video better than anything else I have seen (was watching Live Free or Die Hard earlier today waiting for a meeting and am still amazed at the frame rate, especially in high speed action shots). Games are trouble free, apps are fast.

Sore points:
Lag - fixable and I probalby will when 2.2 comes out.
GPS isn't the best. - maybe it will get fixed?
AT&T Bload. Fixable if you want to root (I'm waiting for 2.2)

Edit: I was going to fixy the typo above, but I think I have come up with a new word for preloaded bloatware, "Bload. n. The act of preloading extra software on a computing device that consumers don't want or need."

Thats pretty much it....

People who complain that the phone isn't the best thing ever really need to get a life. It's a powerful tool with room to grow, just like the rest of the killer droid devices out there.

Seriously. Returning your phone in anger because the GPS isn't up to snuff? GPS on a phone is a TOY! If you want real GPS performance, buy a real GPS...
Or returning it because you are too lazy to remove the bloatware when there are easy instructions on how to do it?

For most of us, the cappy and other phones are just toys. They have the ability to make calls, get email and sync calendars. All the things you need for work. The rest? It's all play time. So lighten up. :)

BoulderGeek

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I think that i said I returned it because AT&T sucks.

And they delayed froyo. And Froyo is necessary to unleash the heretofore hamstrung hardware (alliteration, baby).

Not that I mentioned it, but: The GPS is a feature which is advertized as being a working component of the phone. And many apps utilize the GPS. Are you saying that having apps on a spartphone is a waste, as well?

Might as well get a $20 throwaway if you don't care about having functioning smartphone features. or use a payphone, better yet.

The Captivate has a gorgeous screen, average battery life, crappy WiFi, worthless GPS, terrible speaker and a nice backplate. I think that it is still half baked, and that I dodged a bullet being stuck with it for two years. Even for free, it's not a bargain if it dies in four months.

However, my no-contract Nokia 5800 plays music better, has a battery that runs 400% longer, a GPS that works with offline maps, uses Swype, none of AT&T's ridiculous texting limits, fits in a pocket better, and did I mention no-contract at $200 free and clear? it's like having a VW Gti that runs well after your Jaguar has spent all of its time in the shop.

And, in closing, oh yeah, September is over, and I knew that Froyo wouldn't be released. And I was RIGHT! Nyyaah nyaaah.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Froyo was never supposed to be out in September for the captivate - only the international galaxy S. And my Wifi and speaker are awesome; i fixed the lag with the Voodoo lag fix - which is out for all galaxy S phones - it rocks. My GPS has worked OK and my phone fits in my pocket fine - but I am not a girl in tight jeans either.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Hahaha! A payphone! When is the last time you saw one of those.... :)

If I wanted a crap phone that barely got the job done but lasted all week on a charge, I would have kept my BJ2... But I'm a geek and I need cool toys. :)

And as for Froyo....Leaked today so Nyyaah Nyaahh to you! haha

I still say, lighten up and have fun. It's still just a toy...

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I've worked in Telcom, and dealt with quite a few carriers on both a consumer and technical level. That said, I'm quite happy with AT&T, and I'm not even in the 3G area.

They've had fantastic customer service, and my coverage has been decent even while traveling. Yes, there are bad spots, just like there are with any other carrier.

Sorry you had such a crap experience, but hey, a lot of us are happy.

As for the Cappy, I've had a bunch of phones, including numerous iPhones, and so far, this is the best. I had probs with my first one, tried an iPhone 4 instead, and went back to the Cappy. I'm very happy with it.

Oh, and after the Froyo release was loaded on it today, I'm even happier. The only complaint is the flaky GPS, which is a lot better, but I have a real GPS anyhow.

BoulderGeek

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It's a ridiculous situation when you have to hack a device and be stuck with it for two years, rather than get professional service and support for top dollar fees.

Sure, that's a great value, if the device is unlocked and $200. To pay $2500 to AT&T over the course of the contract and still have a krufty device that you had to roll your own kernel for is just ghetto.

More power to you folk who tolerate it. Millions of people made excuses for Bush for eight years, as well. Each to their own, but I have higher standards.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
...but I have higher standards.

How is living with carrier-dictated functionality a "higher standard"?

Given your political leaning, as indicated at the bottom of your post, I take it you feel entitled to the best being handed to you, rather than having to work for it.

To each his own.

You want the best? No carrier will give it to you regardless of what you pay per month. Sorry. That is why the development community exists...

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that US consumers' spending habits, and the relatively weak dollar support manufacturers pushing high quality products into the US market.

Couple that with the high rate of turnover for cellphones, and manufacturers can't afford to delay product release for adequate testing.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.

AoN

bdpyo

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
boulder has me thinking of fire bombing local at&t stores.... :p

im kidding, pls dont send the ATF to my door, my son is sleeping.....lol

BoulderGeek

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You people obviously don't read very well.

My higher standard is expecting to get products that don't suck taint when I pay rightfully hard-earned, post-tax dollars for them. And to have a network that both works well and charges a reasonable rate for services delivered.

Neither of those conditions were satisfied with the Captivate on AT&T.

You fanboys can keep massaging each other into self congratulatory oblivion. And, it's true that you may not have my standards, or any standards whatsoever. Maybe sucky things are the way you like it. That's fine for you. Tens of millions of people shop at Walmart, too. I just consider the low-end of the spectrum to be where dirtbags congregate, and I don't want to be one.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You people obviously don't read very well.

My higher standard is expecting to get products that don't suck taint when I pay rightfully hard-earned, post-tax dollars for them. And to have a network that both works well and charges a reasonable rate for services delivered.

Neither of those conditions were satisfied with the Captivate on AT&T.

You fanboys can keep massaging each other into self congratulatory oblivion. And, it's true that you may not have my standards, or any standards whatsoever. Maybe sucky things are the way you like it. That's fine for you. Tens of millions of people shop at Walmart, too. I just consider the low-end of the spectrum to be where dirtbags congregate, and I don't want to be one.

Wow, who peed in your cheerios?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908