** Froyo Available on Captivate **

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, I figured I'd give it a shot. I was an all-stock, non-rooted user prior to the 2.2 flash.

It was gravy. Seriously, the process was about 10 minutes. The GPS seems to actually WORK now, and the phone runs far better overall. Tested most basic functionality, and everything works just fine. Quadrant score of 992 now, while it was 740 before.

sigmamason

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
is copy/paste for the email clients working now in this leaked version? Interested in going back to the Captivate due to flexibility over blackberry and copy/paste is a must have for what I do.

zukie8082

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Running Froyo

I've been waiting forever for this!
I'm not super-advanced, but the install was extremely easy. The only downside I had to deal with so far is that literally ALL the information saved on my phone was erased when I installed the update. Not sure why.
Froyo shows my benchmark scores just a shade under 1000, which is a pretty sizable upgrade from the mid-600's to low-700's I was getting.
An auto-rotate button has been added to the pulldown menu at the top of the screen, which is pretty slick. I still don't like TouchWiz (it's the colors in the app drawer that really kill me), so I'm continuing to use LauncherPro. Touchwiz did add one cool thing that I noticed before I re-installed LauncherPro, and that's the HTC style Preview that allows you to view all of your homescreens at once. It's also easier to add homescreens now than before.
I'm interested in seeing how the battery life holds up now. Friends of mine have been running Froyo on Droid 1, Droid X and Droid Incredible, for weeks now, and they seem to notice a slight dropoff in battery life. Also, I'm not sure how this will affect my device when the "official" update comes out, but I see no real reason to update again now.
Good luck with the updates people!

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
is copy/paste for the email clients working now in this leaked version? Interested in going back to the Captivate due to flexibility over blackberry and copy/paste is a must have for what I do.

I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but under the stock email app it seems to work fine. I think it always did.

To test, I selected and copied text from one email response, and pasted into a new message. Seemed to work fine.

Someone else mentioned battery life. I was getting a consistent full day out of mine, with the Podkast app basically streaming audio all day, and me taking calls constantly. It would get plugged in right before I crashed, since it's also my alarm clock.

I do have a car charger, but don't typically use it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Did the update erase your pictures etc?

Well, I figured I'd give it a shot. I was an all-stock, non-rooted user prior to the 2.2 flash.

It was gravy. Seriously, the process was about 10 minutes. The GPS seems to actually WORK now, and the phone runs far better overall. Tested most basic functionality, and everything works just fine. Quadrant score of 992 now, while it was 740 before.

I have the same configuration as you. So you just connect your phone to your computer after downloading the update and drag it to the internal SD can follow the steps?

Did it erase all your media i.e. pictures videos etc?

Thanks.

emalik25

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Updated to Froyo, my impressions:
-Captivate is a lot faster, much less lag and app hanging but it still occurs sometimes.
-Battery life is improved (no idea how).
-The swipe screen to unlock is different, need to swipe to the edge of the phone's screen to unlock now.
-Horizontal viewing is less sensitive.
-Music player will not go to coverflow when flipped horizontally (press menu, album view).
-Still having GPS issues, although some say it works perfectly.
-Theme color is different, I actually like it better.

Overall pretty good, a lot better than 2.1 but still some issues that need to be fixed.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the same configuration as you. So you just connect your phone to your computer after downloading the update and drag it to the internal SD can follow the steps?

Did it erase all your media i.e. pictures videos etc?

Thanks.

I backed all my stuff up on my laptop, but it seems to have left it all on the phone. You will have to download apps. If you have anything important, back it up to be safe. Expect to have a factory fresh phone to be safe.

The process wasn't even that hard. Turn off phone, remove SIM card. Click the file downloaded form the original post. This will bring up the ODIN One Click screen, ready to go. Do NOT power phone on.

Hold both volume buttons (not power button) down, while plugging in the usb cord for the phone. Once ODIN has recognized the phone, simply press "START". It'll go through the process itself. The phone will reboot. Once ODIN says the process is successful, and the phone has completed its reboot cycle, unplug it , power it down, and replace the SIM card. when it reboots, you will now have a fully functional Froyo. Follow the setup instructions, sync all your data back up and reload apps.

falcon_bob

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey everybody. I am still a new Android user, so bare with me here. I installed the Froyo update successfully, but I lost my root.

Can someone help me get it back?

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Now onto the update. I just did the oclf so if I decide to do this I first need to remove the fix but stay rooted? Also since I used the oclf to root do I still need to use Odin?

Last edited by a moderator:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank You!

I backed all my stuff up on my laptop, but it seems to have left it all on the phone. You will have to download apps. If you have anything important, back it up to be safe. Expect to have a factory fresh phone to be safe.

The process wasn't even that hard. Turn off phone, remove SIM card. Click the file downloaded form the original post. This will bring up the ODIN One Click screen, ready to go. Do NOT power phone on.

Hold both volume buttons (not power button) down, while plugging in the usb cord for the phone. Once ODIN has recognized the phone, simply press "START". It'll go through the process itself. The phone will reboot. Once ODIN says the process is successful, and the phone has completed its reboot cycle, unplug it , power it down, and replace the SIM card. when it reboots, you will now have a fully functional Froyo. Follow the setup instructions, sync all your data back up and reload apps.

Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci