Captivate Turns Off on its own, PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok update, so called ATT and they are sending me a replacement battery to see if this fixes the issue, if not they said they would send me a new phone. Guess I'll keep ya updated on the new battery thing. Mine doesn't seem to turn off though when on the charger, just around %50 or lower and never once while plugged in. Always seems to happen around the last time it did it, so I'll notice its off, turn it on, place on stand by, then it will be off again if I check it in 5 mins again... once it gets over its little problem its only when its been sitting for a while.

Dan

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, no shutdowns at all. But my original Captivate as mentioned before and like yours didn't shut down for the 3 weeks. Mine didn't have any benchmarks with shut down issues like a certain percentage of battery charge or under/over a certain percentage of battery charge or certain apps or etc.

When I spoke with the tech, I just told him I'd already been on the various Android forums and tried every fix including putting different batteries in and nothing helped.

What a stupid problem for a great phone.

Is your's still running ok with 2.2b8 and KeepAlive?

Mine was off this morning for the first time (almost 7 days) since getting it back from Samsung with the JH7 version and not letting it charge past 90%. (Still bone stock from Samsung's repair center, haven't made one single change to it.) This was also the first time it was not being charged when it shut down on its own.

So it's either push for a replacement phone or, if you've had any luck, try 2.2b8 and KeepAlive.

spsands

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ill be watching this thread, I just got my Captivate 2 days ago and it shut down 3 or 4 times in a row just sitting on my desk. I pulled the battery and it was fine afterwards. My first thought is that the "charging" to over 100% sounds interesting, my wife noticed that as soon as it hit 100% it says to disconnect the charger. Im wondering if that doesnt have something to do with it, no phone Ive had has said that at full charge.

Max69

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ill be watching this thread, I just got my Captivate 2 days ago and it shut down 3 or 4 times in a row just sitting on my desk. I pulled the battery and it was fine afterwards. My first thought is that the "charging" to over 100% sounds interesting, my wife noticed that as soon as it hit 100% it says to disconnect the charger. Im wondering if that doesnt have something to do with it, no phone Ive had has said that at full charge.

If you've only had the phone 2 days, don't waste time trying to fix it, get it replaced while you still can. My first phone started shutting down 2 weeks after I got it. I took it back to the store and walked out 30 minutes later with a new phone. This one hasn't shut down once in the 3 months I've had it.

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Repair center sucks, at&t rocks

I got mine back after a third "repair" from Samsung and it still randomly shuts down. A so called manager said they don't replace phones, they just repair them. Asking him how many times I need to send it back for repairing the same problem that isn't being corrected, he said "Until it's fixed..OR UNTIL THE WARRANTY EXPIRES.."

(By the way, Captivate Keep Alive didn't solve the problem)

Even though it was past the warranty period, I talked to At&T, explained the problems and the dates that Samsung tried to fix the shut-down problem AND AT&T SHIPPED ME A REPLACEMENT PHONE THE NEXT DAY!!!!!!!!!

I've been using this "new" phone for almost a week now without any problems.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM AT ALL, RETURN THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY. DON'T LOOK FOR SOLUTIONS FOR A PHONE THAT SHOULD WORK PROPERLY FROM DAY ONE.

spsands

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I got mine back after a third "repair" from Samsung and it still randomly shuts down. A so called manager said they don't replace phones, they just repair them. Asking him how many times I need to send it back for repairing the same problem that isn't being corrected, he said "Until it's fixed..OR UNTIL THE WARRANTY EXPIRES.."

(By the way, Captivate Keep Alive didn't solve the problem)

Even though it was past the warranty period, I talked to At&T, explained the problems and the dates that Samsung tried to fix the shut-down problem AND AT&T SHIPPED ME A REPLACEMENT PHONE THE NEXT DAY!!!!!!!!!

I've been using this "new" phone for almost a week now without any problems.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM AT ALL, RETURN THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY. DON'T LOOK FOR SOLUTIONS FOR A PHONE THAT SHOULD WORK PROPERLY FROM DAY ONE.

after reading a 60 page thread about this over at XDA word is that the new batches of phones were fixed by Samsung, really interested to know what number is under the serial # located under the battery.

I have a 1009 and I heard that the newest batches with 1010 and up are good. can anyone verify this? especially interested in the batch # of all the people who have gotten new phones that didnt have any trouble.

spsands

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just went and got my new phone today, my old one (from last week) was a 1009, new one from the 1010 batch,

We will see how it works out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine rebooted like 3 times in 2 days then stopped. Then rebooted again a few weeks later. Its been ok since. Its usually when i'm switching screens and trying to do several things in quick succession. But you'd thing the 1gz processor could handle it

spsands

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine rebooted like 3 times in 2 days then stopped. Then rebooted again a few weeks later. Its been ok since. Its usually when i'm switching screens and trying to do several things in quick succession. But you'd thing the 1gz processor could handle it

that sounds like a different issue.

this one I believe was for when your phone goes to sleep and when you go to wake it up, you find it powered itself off.

AmberBammber

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked the screen time out mode? I did the same thing and was going crazy.. go to settings then click on sound and display.. scroll down to screen time out mode.. click on your choice of time that you want the phone light to shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams