After the OTA update this app couldn't find the file in the phone to read the unlock codes from, thought the AT&T update took the file out just to prevent the unlock, but the file with the codes is still there just with different permissions. Rooted my captivate, found the file "nv_data.bin" with Root Explorer, changed permissions to "read, write and execute" to others, ran the app again and voilŠ! got my unlock codes in 3 seconds, happy man again....just in case this might help someone outhere.
    10-23-2010 04:40 PM
    If you upgrade to any of the leaked 2.2 versions, the data in that file is removed altogether.

If you plan to unlock the phone, get the data before updating (to either the leaked versions, or [I assume] the official version when it arrives).

Hope this helps,

AoN
    10-24-2010 12:16 PM
    I found out when I flashed Cognition 2.2 on my phone, which by the way runs like a champ on it . I made a back up with Titanium prior to doing anything, also created a backup of the rooted (no bloatware 2.1 AT&T) ROM with ROM Manager just in case (like to be safe). I got the unlock and freeze codes before Cognition 2.2. I was just wondering if the unlock codes changed with this Cognition 2.2, or is it the same? As far I can tell by reading other posts around, that doesn't change once you get the codes, is that true?
    Thanks for responding and the warning anneoneamouse!
    10-24-2010 01:05 PM
    Code remains the same.

My experience has been that Cog 2.2b5.5 with oclf seems to run faster (UI-wise) than b8.1. Unfortunately b5.5 doesn't have the 2e / 3e recovery kernel, so one of either Rom Manager or Titanium Backup doesn't work (can't remember which).

HtH

AoN
    10-24-2010 01:27 PM
    Don't know about previous Cog, first Android phone (3 weeks), but i'm running Cog 2.2 Beta8.1 and my Captivate is a total pleasure now, quick, no bloatware, GPS is perfect, tested it today on a 55 mile drive, SPOT ON! without changing SUPL/CP Settings, the only thing missing for me is the "unknown sources" and USB tethering, not a big deal, I use PDANet and SDK to push apps to the phone.
    If it is recovery kernel, I'm inclined to believe is ROM Manager
    10-24-2010 08:56 PM
    For allowing installation of apps from unknown sources, there are several posts over at XDA. Look here:

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.1 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

If you're running cog 8.1, I think tethering is included-

settings > wireless & networks > tethering

Doesn't this work (I admit I've never used it)?

Hope this helps,

AoN
    10-25-2010 12:33 AM
    If you're running cog 8.1, I think tethering is included-

settings > wireless & networks > tethering

Doesn't this work (I admit I've never used it)?

Hope this helps,

AoN
    The program for wireless tethering is called Mobile Ap. That location is correct. It works quite well.
    10-25-2010 07:30 AM
    AH!....somehow missed that one on the settings, will test later tonight and uninstall PDANet if it works well for me.........thanks guys!
    10-25-2010 10:16 AM
    All good now with USB tethering, see ya PDANet......all I would like is "unknown sources" enabled on my phone, Cog Beta8.1 on it, any ideas?
    10-26-2010 06:55 AM
    All good now with USB tethering, see ya PDANet......all I would like is "unknown sources" enabled on my phone, Cog Beta8.1 on it, any ideas?
    All of the Cognition ROMs have sideloading enabled, so you can install any .apk directly from the phone instead of using the Android Central Sideloading Machine. Beta9 came out yesterday and includes Voodoo, which I hear is pretty fast. I'm still running Beta6 and like it too much to flash another ROM for a while.
    10-26-2010 07:08 AM
    Hmm...... talked too fast, USB tethering not good as it uses 3G, just want WIFI for my old laptop (no wifi), with PDANet my Captivate shares only the WIFI connection to tether the laptop when plugged to the USB port, of course phone needs to be on WIFI, like hotels and offices, PDANet is just fine for my needs, don't need anything more. Beta9 huh?, I'll look into it now, thanks!
    10-26-2010 11:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD