Will I miss my Iphone??

jpinks

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok have heard all about the Android phones and the Galaxy S models seem to be on top today :) I have had an Iphone for several years but I am always frustrated by Apples control. I am having a hard time finding some answers and was wondering if anyone here might be able to help. Android Market is not like Itunes from what I understand. There is no dedicated music or audiobook or movie portal.. correct? Is most media streamed with android users?? I have a HUGE library about 60gig of music and about 250ish gig of audiobooks. Most are ripped from cd some purchased via Itunes and Audible. Whats the best way to convert these to use on a Captivate or will they play natively. I was told the audiobook capabilities of this phone arent good. I travel alot for business and usually listen to them. Are there any other things I should be aware of before I pick this thing up Friday??

Woofus

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Simple answer is, Yes...you will miss your iPhone for awhile. But you're embarking on a whole new adventure! If you like tinkering with stuff and trying out new things, you're going to grow to love your new Captivate. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and there are some things that I still miss, but all in all I'm still stoked about the new phone. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) There is no "iTunes Store" to speak of, but there are tons of places to get things. The main one I've used is Amazon. You can download music and stuff right to your phone or to your PC and sync it. Prices are comparable and so is the selection.

2) For your current MP3 files, your ripped CDs will go over just fine. Your iTunes music will take a little doing. I don't think we're allowed to discuss all of the details here, but a simple Google search will give you a few good ways to make your iTunes music your own. (Hey..you paid for it!)

3) Audiobooks, I'm still looking for a good solution to that one myself. Thus far I have just taken a few here and there and converted them to MP3 format so I can listen to them. I'm sure that there will be a solution soon, just keep checking here and around the Android market and something will come up.

As for things to be aware of, just keep an open mind. My first days were a bit frustrating since I had been an iPhone user since day one. I got used to the iPhone doing things certain ways so it was a bit of a learning curve. But there are tons of sites out there and tons of good info right here to help you out. Pretty much any question you come up with has already been answered here, there or somewhere.

One of the great things (as you mentioned) is control. You have it now! For example, I hate the stock audio and video player. Mostly because it is two separate programs. I also didn't like the way it handled playlists and also just the look of it. So I did some looking and trying and testing and finally found one that I like. You can't do that on an iPhone. Here in Android world, you can use the stock apps, or replace them with ones you like.

Good luck, you should be really happy with your new phone. Captivate is not 100% perfect, no phone is... but it comes pretty darned close!.

Enjoy!

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If Apple's control is your big dislike, then you will LOVE an Android phone.

I came from iPhone myself and I wouldn't go back to an iPhone if someone paid me to.

jpinks

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the positive responses. I dont understand a couple of things why do some people say use a Task Killer app?? I also am getting a handle on the audiobook thing cant believe they dont support mp4(?) audiobook files. I cant seem to find a charger FM Transmitter like I have for my car. I change cars sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a week and some do and dont have aux in. Any other pointers for a newb with this phone would be greatly appreciated

jpinks

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
If Apple's control is your big dislike, then you will LOVE an Android phone.

I came from iPhone myself and I wouldn't go back to an iPhone if someone paid me to.

I guess my biggest gripe in all my apple time is having to use my laptop on the trips because I cant access something that apple doesnt support. How often do you run into compatability do you use the included browser or the Firefox thats for Android?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Rarely do I run into compatability issues. Apple's iphone for all the bashing is a great OS for my 6 year old...It sleak (or was) and simple.

I think the next one will have widgets, etc. but Apple didn't want to throw the kitchen sink at customers right away.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Rarely do I run into compatability issues. Apple's iphone for all the bashing is a great OS for my 6 year old...It sleak (or was) and simple.

I think the next one will have widgets, etc. but Apple didn't want to throw the kitchen sink at customers right away.

That's a good way of putting it. It's more like they take the sink apart, and give you one bushing at a time (after it is thoroughly inspected of course :cool:). I love my iPod Touch - it's very solid and gets the job done, but it didn't break any innovation barriers.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah and that is how they will build a stronger base of users.
My wife said if the iphone came over to verizon she would use it.
She found (as did I) the android phone too much at one time.
Her and my son's touch has been updated, etc. but they are incremental and you have to give apple credit for being careful not to overload the end user.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing you are likely to miss is probably battery life.

AoN

My Captivate has better battery life than my iPhones ever did. Not a huge difference, but a few hours worth anyhow. The Cap has this amazing ability that the iPhone doesn't, though. You can carry a spare battery.

To the OP- I missed my iPhone for about half a day. Once I got into the Captivate and started to learn the Android ways, I was far happier with the Captivate. It's far more open, and you can do simple things like, oh, add a RINGTONE without a massive headache.

That being said, it isn't as point-and-click as the iPhone. It does take a little more work to get some things to work, but they far supersede anything Apple has done.

TripperGetem

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I missed my iPhone for about a week after I got my Captivate. I still have my iPhone for a back up. But now, I would never get another iPhone. iPhone 5, 6, 7. I don't care what they include on the next iPhones.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the positive responses. I dont understand a couple of things why do some people say use a Task Killer app??

Please don't crucife me for this explanation, im still learning!!

Ok well on Iphone when you click the home button you usually close out the app, on an android OS the apps keep running in the background. The thought process behind a task killer is to close out the app so you conserve battery and memory.

But technically speaking there is no real reason to have an app killer since as you move forward with apps you are presently using the older apps will close themselves out. As far as memory is concerned as the new running app needs it the android system will close out unused apps to compensate for memory needed, it was designed to run without the need of a task killer.

Exception to the rules,,,, a task killer does serve a purpose, it comes in handy when a poorly written app crashes and it does not force close itself out, then you can use a task killer to kill that app and move on. it also is useful if an app that over rides system settings but does not have a close out function...ex, when using a voice app that announces text's or notifications and you want to silence it without shutting off your settings (this happened to me in a beta version of an app but did not have exit button)

ok hope that helped,,,,, in essence its a good app to have but not needed on a regular basis

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams