Captivate with an inactive AT&T SIM

jdonahoe

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Captivate with an inactive AT&T SIM card in it. I would like to use the phone as a wifi device without phone service. Without an activated SIM card the phone will not install or update apps from Google Play. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's strange--my old Razr Maxx can still update apps over wi-fi, even though I'm no longer on Verizon. What sort of error message do you get? Try turning on Airplane Mode, and then turn wi-fi back on.

jdonahoe

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have it in airplane mode permanently since I'm not planning to use it for cell service. When I'm connected to wifi I can see updates available, however, I get an error 921 whenever I try to update any apps.... this is when I try downloading an update. States "Update for said app could not be downloaded due to an error. (921)"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Could Download Manager be disabled? Go to Settings>Apps>All, scroll all the way to the bottom, and make sure it isn't listed as a disabled app.

Also select Google Play Store and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. See if that helps.

jdonahoe

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
DownloadManager was running.... cleared and kill Google Play Store.... still the same.
Not that I have much faith in the techno abilities of AT&T reps at their store fronts, but the one I talked to said downloads and updates won't work, however, any installed apps will work as is. Problem is, I'd like to get rid of stuff and download apps I'd like to use on this phone as a "wifi only" android device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange. I don't know if AT&T does something annoying to their phones to prevent updates. Have you tried removing the SIM card?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781