My experience sideloading an app on Samsung Captivate

ntdolores

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I decided to write this post because I spent 4 hellish days trying to sideload an app on my Samsung Captivate. Finally I did it, and I am very grateful for the existence of this forum and for the people who take care of it.

First of all, let me say that I really think the system matters. I am using Windows Vista 64-bit and I was trying to sideload on a Samsung Captivate running Android 2.1 (the kernel might matter too, but let's not get so technical).

My goal was to sideload WITHOUT rooting. I tried using the Beta version of the Sideload Wonder MAchine, but it did not work, it gave an error message. It is true I haven't tried to troubleshoot as suggested:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/and...g-issues-sideload-wonder-machine-windows.html

That's because THE ORIGINAL, truly wonderful Sideload Wonder Machine (SWM) worked like a charm!!! So here are the steps I went through (these are to the best of my recollection, as I said' I went back and forth for 4 days trying very many other and different things).

1. If you don't have it already installed, then download and install Microsoft's .NET v4 framework
2. Download and install the original SWM (watch the video too, it helps to familiarize yourself with how the program works)
3. Download and install the drivers. This was by far the trickiest part, as it was a trial and error process to realize in what exact configuration of the phone the drivers worked.

So I went to Samsung web site, and there are 2 drivers for Samsung Captivate, one is for XP/Vista, the other for XP/Vista/Windows7 (Kies). I tried the first one, without success. Here the facts are a bit blurry, maybe I did not had the phone configuration figured out correctly, who knows, but fact of the matter is, I had this driver installed and did not bother to uninstall it, I can't be sure it mattered or not.

Then I downloaded and installed the Kies stuff. Upon completing installation, one window pops up that says something like "Now plug in your phone" I think it's important that the first time around to plug it in without changing the settings (in other words, let the USB settings on Kies (firmware update) and DO NOT select the debugging mode). I don't know why, but in my case it mattered, maybe it was a phone meets the driver case :)

Then wait about 2 min. The Kies window changes to another window that says "No firmware available" or such. Now unplug your phone and close the Kies. (This is a critical part, if the driver does not recognize your phone, you just can't go any further)

Go back to your phone, leave the USB settings on Kies but change to debugging (menu>settings>applications>development, then enable USB debugging). Launch Kies again, wait for the "Now plug in your phone" screen to appear and plug in your phone. Wait for the Kies window to change (up to 2 min).

Launch the SWM and run it. After you get the message about your app being installed, unplug the phone. Then restart your phone (power off, wait 1', power on). I think it also mattered for the app to install correctly.

4. You're done! :) Now, as I said, the critical step is driver installation/communication with the phone. Some computer purists might see these instructions as a holistic approach :) (maybe it is), but it worked for me. Other things that I can think of about this step:
-as I mentioned I had the Xp/Vista drivers installed also. Did it matter? I honestly don't know (case in point for holistic approach)
- every time I tried a different configuration for the phone, I first closed Kies and then relaunched it, it did not worked otherwise.

Good luck!

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I just downloaded the drivers for Windows XP from the link that was on the page, downloaded the SWM program, extracted it using WinRar (winzip did not work - there are some extra folders that winzp missed), installed everything under C, found an app to sideload, placed it in the same folder as the AC-SWM folder and ran the tool. That was it, simple - no Kies, no restarting the phone after the app was installed, nothing.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The same day the phone launched, I rooted, enabled non market apps, did not have to use the ac sideloader wonder machine! But in order to do that, I did use Droidexplorer to load Root Explorer. Otherwise, dont have to even with ucji6 *froyo*, I enabled non market apps so I could run the firefox beta lol. Going back to stock is relatively easy though.

Cheers,
Charlie

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I was able to download a lot of apps without sideloading but others would just load the first 5% over and over,again and never stop or pop up an error

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan