discusted!

Raffs824

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've decided! I've had enough fun but wasted a lot of time!

No 2.2!
Non working Kies!
Pain in the ass to work with out look!
Bad GPS!
Can't get rid of mail history and keep on computer.
what are we thinking?
Back to the old blackberry!

So what's so good about this? Oh yes! The screen!
As they say,, this is BS!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Verizon has a nice line of Android phones with 2. 2 and working GPS. If not have fun with your BB, I know I'm never going back to the land of memory leaks and battery pulls.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Raffs, I can understand your frustration with some things but keep in mind that there is a slew of great Android devices to choose from, so the buck doesn’t necessarily stop here. ;)

And +1 on Battery pulls and such...God do I not miss that

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

No 2.2!
Non working Kies!
Bad GPS!
what are we thinking?

Well I can understand the frustration but let's see since there has not been an official 2.2 *froyo* update there are a couple of leaks and from what I have been reading Cog Update is based off of an official leak built for the Captivate, however, I am currently running the first leak of Froyo and while not perfect, it is pretty stable. My GPS works perfectly after I did a little tweaking of settings of SUPL/CP Settings to Auto Config and gps works perfectly.

As for the mail client, I dont use outlook on any of my computers including work, because I am not a fan of outlook at all, I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird *handles mail a lot better the outlook aka lookout in my opinion*.

As for the History on the phone, I dont have that issue but I am not running the stock mail client on the phone, I use MailDroid which has been pretty good the previous 3 updates did force close but I call that as being a beta os and beta software but the latest 1.62 is running really stable.

What are we thinking? Well I love the phone, better then my old BlackBerry and I dont have to do battery pulls! Occasionally I have to because my Captivate freaks out for 10 - 15 minuets but being up and running for a month or longer I can handle! Considering I am running a leaked beta, I never expected it to run perfectly either.

The screen is awesome, which is why I bought the phone on launch day back in July and yes I wish there was an official 2.2.1 os for the phone but I am happy with at least running a beta of the phone!

HTH,
Charlie

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have both a 9700 with 5.xxx on it and the Captivate bone stock. Both of them are activated with data plans (like I have a choice). I really like the Captivate! I played with the 9700 last weekend, it is very stable, the keyboard is great, but my Captivate can do so much more! My supervisor after watching me for about 2 weeks showed up with and EVO last week……

The both of us are on the downside of 40, but then again we are both Engineers(electronics)!

I like the Blackberry and I am waiting for a good release of 6.0, but while I am waiting and learning the Captivate, RIM may just be too late because this Droid does SO much more! The downside, battery life! But you have to pay for convenience, in this case 25 hour battery life vs 3-4 days!

I tried surfing on the Berry last weekend, even with glasses, I could NOT see the website, picked up the Capitivate and was surfing away. My wife sent me a picture by text, with the Berry there is no way I know of to blow it up unless you save it, with the Droid you just tap the bloody picture and zoom it as big as you want!

They say this Droid is for kids and the Blackberry is for businessmen, just try and take my Droid and I will whack ya with my cane Sonny!!!!

The only downside to BOTH phones, AT&T!

Reactions: myk26

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

No 2.2!
Non working Kies!
Bad GPS!
what are we thinking?

I don't know what Kies is even for. I just mount my phone.
2.2 will be out soon. Calm down.
Who uses outlook anymore?
Haven't tried the GPS
what mail app are you using? You may just be using stock apps in ways they weren't intended.

What are you thinking? Don't go with a blackberry. If anything, you want outlook support, so you basically need to get one of the new Zune phones. Screw blackberry, what does that phone possibly have that's even worthwhile anymore?

They were good pre-iphone, but I don't even like telling customers how to program the dang things, or help them navigate, those phones are crap. I haven't used one for an extended period of time, but I can't think of any redeeming qualities except a physical keyboard which basically means, wasted screen real estate.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I wonder which feature of 2.2 he is so hot about? I wonder if he can even name one? So much of the hate, in this case Samsung hate, but you see each flavor depending on which forum you read... but so much of it is simply repeated for rote because they read it elsewhere.

For posts like this one, where the author appears to have registered for the sole purpose of *****ing, it is best not the feed the animals.

Hopefully those actually looking to SOLVE their problems will stick around.

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I wonder which feature of 2.2 he is so hot about? I wonder if he can even name one? So much of the hate, in this case Samsung hate, but you see each flavor depending on which forum you read... but so much of it is simply repeated for rote because they read it elsewhere.

For posts like this one, where the author appears to have registered for the sole purpose of *****ing, it is best not the feed the animals.

I want the flash support that 2.2 comes with, because I want to see if I can try doing Plants Versus Zombies through the flash app that I stumbled upon trying to find out when they're releasing the game itself.

But the topic creator doesn't even explain WHY he needs some of the stuff he needs. Why does he need the mail history to be deleted on his phone and all go to the computer? How inaccurate is his GPS? etc. Did he even try checking the "Best GPS Settings" stickied thread?

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
not to mention that it is spelled, "disgusted"...

email history?.. it's called Gmail inbox and the ARCHIVE button....

outlook? .. it's called google sync for outlook.

--- via tapatalk

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

I don?t get it. I read the GPS don?t work. I tried the Captivate against an Aviation GPS, close enough for a darn phone and it gets me down the freeway. I did NOT like the original keyboard, just downloaded a new one! Lack of a hard keyboard, I am getting used to the touch screen and actually I am getting down right FAST. It took me FOREVER to go from my 8310 keyboard to my 9700 and I still like the 8310 keyboard better! My Captivate has NEVER locked up in the month I have had it, no dropped calls and the music player I used just last night was great. 2.2?????? My supervisor has 2.2 on his EVO, looks the same?

On the Blackberry, you die waiting for an update and then get a stable ROM and leave it. Maybe they will get a browser close to Dolphin HD someday, I have played with 6.XXX on the Berry, they are barely even catching up to the DROID. Never have liked Apple! My wife has a Palm, their browser kicks the stuffing out of my 9700!

The only complaint for me, I have these BIG hands and the Captivate is not thick enough, I will buy and extended battery or a silicone case??..

Using an old version of Kies on my PC with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Office 2010, they play fine together!

The surprise, when I switched from the 9700 and put my Gmail account on the Captivate, it transferred all my calendar info too!

If you want a messaging phone, go with a 9700 (I still don?t understand why they make you get a data plan with the Blackberry, never really used more then 50MB on the Berry, with the Android I am at 10 times that and NOT frustrated!), if you want a multimedia phone, Android all the way.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I was so use to having to pull the battery on my BB that I do it by habit on my Captivate once a month. The only thing I really want is a way to speak and have the ability to call from my phone book. Or say call so and so phone number. With the oclf and gps status app, I'm doing ok looking up info for people lost when I'm walking my dog , and they ask me do you know where a street is and how to get there. Other then that tomtom is your friend.
Since I done watch movies or listen to music on my phone it ain't no big deal. My browser works but the wifi seems weak compared to my BB. Yes email sucks cause I still use outlook and when I delete messages they reappear. Even with maildroid BB has better email. Still I can't go back to a Rim product, due to quality and their os even the torch sucks.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site

No 2.2!
Non working Kies!
Bad GPS!
what are we thinking?

lol

I fought with RIM crap for over a year. The Cappy runs circles around anything offered by them, even the overhyped torch. I am sure some people were dying to get back to their old rotary phones when the pesky pushbutton handset first hit the scene.

Be sure to eBay your Cappy so someone else can enjoy it.

Raffs824

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
thank you.

you all for your comments but not the sarcasm.
I am no where near a hateful person nor do I really like anybody to use it. I am am a 66 year old veteran with a disability. So sometimes i don't spell or type correctly! However i do have a rather high IQ and education! So, I'm not stupid!

I am slightly tech savvy but no where near where many of you are. Loading a beta or trial version not only scares me that i will mess up my phone but isn't it slightly illegal; like steeling? I don't know? I'm not a lawyer. I'm just a small business person who thinks that when someone or a company makes a promise for delivery they do it. I do know what the advantages of froyo are and I do know what kies is. i think it's wrong and misrepresenting for them to say I can work kies with outlook and then not even have it available. My wanting to use outlook is my choice and have been using it for years. I'm sorry that some of you don't agree with my choice; but that's why we have choices.

it would be best if we use these forums for constructive work and helping each other in the community. Don't you agree?

Sorry for my rant and i apologize if i stepped on anyone toes. Just trying to get what I want and what was promised.

Have a joyful holiday season and a prosperous new year! :D

There is no need to be belligerent or even hateful. I'm not trying to f)(*()*k over anyone or anything.

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If you prefer the Blackberry, then go for it.

None of us on this forum should have anything to do with your opinion. Why even come on here to tell us?

IMO, the Captivate runs circles around the blackberry, but again..it's my preference. It's your phone, choose whatever you want.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Raffs824 I understand what your saying for we come from the same generation. I am also a Vet and disabled though not from my service in Nam.
The biggest problem with BB was reading the screen but with the Captivate that has changed. I also didn't think that a touch keyboard was going to make it. Then not being ready for things not working like you said had me frustrated. Not being able to sync my outlook or using the programs associated with the phone had me pissed off also.
Rooting using beta programs which would void the warranty or worse stealing Someone else's intellectual property, had me going against my core beliefs. At this point I am sure the younger generation is LoL reading this. Yet after reading about open source and how these programmers share their work, it has put me looking at the whole thing in an other perspective.
Seems like products are not made like YOU OR I expect them to be made anymore. That companies like AT&T buy or make products that you have to mess with to make them work.
So after reading the different forums and realizing this is the world we live in, I decided to make due with what I have and figure out how to make it work. All I have done is use the OCLF. One click lag fix to fix some issues. It rooted my phone yet I have not tried different ROMS. That does scare me and I will wait for AT&T to put the update out. I have got the a GPS to work.
Like I said in my previous post all I really need is the ability to have a way for the phone dial and pick phone numbers for me at voice command. All this playing games listening to music or watching videos do not interest me.
Using the web having the phone work with my hearing aid. The ability and making the screen big enough to read are my concerns. Being disabled and having the ability to use the Android keyboard to speak and type like I am doing now is an added plus. They say when 2.2 comes out the other features will be on the phone. If I need Kies to upgrade then I might have a problem. Still I am sure there will be a way to do it.
With my BB or should I say numerous BB's they were a PITA to have to pull batteries and having trackballs break. Using a magnifying glass to read the screen. By this time I have had 4 different Curves compared to this phone. So far no breakdowns and not having to play with the RIM operating system to make room for memory is a plus.
So has a 62 year old vet. I say hang in there and read the forums and other sites to help get the phone to work. If you feel BB is the way too go then go for it. After all that is one of the reasons we put our lives on the line. For the freedom to choose what we want.
If you need help PM or E-mail me since we never leave anyone behind and help each other out. I'm not very tech savvy but this old boy does acclimate.

Nelimungous

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Raffs824 I understand what your saying for we come from the same generation. I am also a Vet and disabled though not from my service in Nam.
The biggest problem with BB was reading the screen but with the Captivate that has changed. I also didn't think that a touch keyboard was going to make it. Then not being ready for things not working like you said had me frustrated. Not being able to sync my outlook or using the programs associated with the phone had me pissed off also.
Rooting using beta programs which would void the warranty or worse stealing Someone else's intellectual property, had me going against my core beliefs. At this point I am sure the younger generation is LoL reading this. Yet after reading about open source and how these programmers share their work, it has put me looking at the whole thing in an other perspective.
Seems like products are not made like YOU OR I expect them to be made anymore. That companies like AT&T buy or make products that you have to mess with to make them work.
So after reading the different forums and realizing this is the world we live in, I decided to make due with what I have and figure out how to make it work. All I have done is use the OCLF. One click lag fix to fix some issues. It rooted my phone yet I have not tried different ROMS. That does scare me and I will wait for AT&T to put the update out. I have got the a GPS to work.
Like I said in my previous post all I really need is the ability to have a way for the phone dial and pick phone numbers for me at voice command. All this playing games listening to music or watching videos do not interest me.
Using the web having the phone work with my hearing aid. The ability and making the screen big enough to read are my concerns. Being disabled and having the ability to use the Android keyboard to speak and type like I am doing now is an added plus. They say when 2.2 comes out the other features will be on the phone. If I need Kies to upgrade then I might have a problem. Still I am sure there will be a way to do it.
With my BB or should I say numerous BB's they were a PITA to have to pull batteries and having trackballs break. Using a magnifying glass to read the screen. By this time I have had 4 different Curves compared to this phone. So far no breakdowns and not having to play with the RIM operating system to make room for memory is a plus.
So has a 62 year old vet. I say hang in there and read the forums and other sites to help get the phone to work. If you feel BB is the way too go then go for it. After all that is one of the reasons we put our lives on the line. For the freedom to choose what we want.
If you need help PM or E-mail me since we never leave anyone behind and help each other out. I'm not very tech savvy but this old boy does acclimate.

Now that's an excellent response. I will be leaving the BB world FOR Android. RIM just doesn't get it. Yea BlackBerry is for business blah blah blah...well those days are gone. Business users want a browser that is current and flexibility. Plus my company like many others have apps for Android now...not for BB the devices are too far behind with hardware and software. I have been a BB user for over 5 years and will have my 9700 for a couple more weeks. Watch out RIM your users are leaving and Android is a great choice.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
it would be best if we use these forums for constructive work and helping each other in the community. Don't you agree?
There is no need to be belligerent or even hateful. I'm not trying to f)(*()*k over anyone or anything.

If you read your first post again, these sentiments are nowhere to be found. Nobody here promised anything, or is associated with Samsung... but we would be happy to help if problems are described in a non-confrontational manner. People DO simply come in here to complain, even when they do not have the phone... and your first post looked EXACTLY like one of those. aka a troll. Some of us are reflexive when confronted with trolls... which you are now shown not to be!

Moving on...

In what way does kies not work? I admit to not using kies after seeing it once... not sure what the point is except as a front end to other ways to do things. If it is not connecting to your computer properly, this is usually the Samsung USB driver issue, or you are connecting to a front USB port. The phones seem pretty finicky about a "real" USB port, meaning a rear port that is physically a part of the computer motherboard. I have experienced this myself.

If you use Outlook as your mail client, that is fine. But what is your EMAIL? You can use Outlook to pop/imap to gmail, and that is the configuration I would recommend- IMAP to a gmail account. Any android phone will simply be easier to use if you drink the koolaid and use gmail as your primary email address, whether you use Outlook as your client is irrelevant to that. Outlook using IMAP to gmail seems like the best fit for your computer client and phone.

The GPS is bad on an unreasonably large number of Galaxy S phones. No argument. There are some "fixes" to help improve it, but unless you need this very badly, I would wait on the update. My tin foil hat tells me the delay in 2.2 is by ATT (not Samsung) and is precisely because it did not resolve the GPS issue, or the resolution to the GPS issue is different from 2.1 to 2.2. If it turns out to be a hardware issue, well, that is where we can start getting truly upset. ATT will swap your phone out if you go through the hassle with them on a non-functional GPS (some work great, some work sort-of, some don't work). Some people have swapped several to get one that works. Mine works sort of; better with the Jupiter 6 "fixes" or the JM9 fixes.

Mail history- This I would recommend using the gmail FLAGS to solve. For example, if you hit the ARCHIVE button while in gmail on your phone, it will hide that email (unless you go looking for it) on your phone, but they are still there. If you have in the past used POP or non-gmail, this will take some time to learn before it is second nature. There are many types of flags besides Archive, I used that as the example since the button looks at you when you open an email on your phone (gmail).

And here too IMAP I think will be a positive change for you, since "what you see is what you get" with IMAP, regardless of what device you are using to access your email. This is how I set the wife up.

ALL that said, and even with ALL that was said above by the BB haters... messaging is the strong suit of the BlackBerry. It still does it better than Android or the iPhone. It is the "everything else" that the BB sucks at. But if all you need is messaging, the BB is difficult to argue against.

Good luck and sorry we got off on the wrong foot!

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
More than likely the FroYo update is a delay on the carriers end like loraque stated. We have already seen 2.2 hit Galaxy S devices elsewhere in the world which means Samsung has been working on making sure the software is 2.2 ready. Unfortunately, carriers in the U.S. are much more prone to bloating phones out to their liking, AT&T and Verizon specifically.

The Outlook thing will be an issue with you if you are implying that you simply have to use Outlook to access your email, regardless of what who you email is through. If that is a dealbreaker for you, then you may want to look at WP7 (as much as it shutters me to say that). But it’s true in your case, assuming what I am taking from what your saying is the case.

In either matter, the decision is ultimately yours. You will have to weight the pros and cons of each platform and decide which is going to work best for YOU, none of us can make that decision for you (and obviously you are aware of that). We can only help you with any issues you may be having and help facilitate a quicker and easier decision for you.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree that for E-mail that BB has a better system. Now I had many BBM contacts. I was told even by them your not going to be able to stay connected . You know what they were wrong. Instead of having them setup in BBM, they are setup by phone number. I SMS them and we stay in contact that way. Same instant message has though they were on BBM. The catch those overseas in Japan, India and my friends deployed in the sandbox and Afganland it could be a problem.
Those in the states no problem at all. So BBM is not missed by me. Most of the time it's my wife and kids I SMS. I have a Google mail, optonline and Verizon account. My major problem even with my Google account is some days I get no emails. Other days I get the same ones I deleted a couple of hours ago. Or from ones I deleted days ago. Today has soon has I deleted them and removing them from trash, they were in my in-box again. To make it work like BB email I have it check every 10 minutes. I find it doesn't affect battery life if I check that way or every half hour or every hour. So far getting .pps files in emails are the only problem I'm having opening. I was able to open them on my BB.
I am looking for a program (free) since I'm cheap to use. I use Outlook express on my computer I have my Google email open in outlook also. So maybe it is the way it is set up on the computer screwing things up. My provider is Verizon and it is pop while my Google is IMAP setup in Verizon.
Maybe like the prior poster said I need to set everything through Google to have it work on my Android. My problem and I might be paranoid but I don't want Google to have that much knowledge of who I speak to. Some stuff and contacts have some security issues. Though I'm sort of out of the loop on certain things. I will check out if it will change how fast my emails get to me setup through IMAP for my phone. Just like Roxio which I had with BB causes my computer to freeze. With Kies even with the proper drivers it was hit or miss getting it to connect or recognize my phone. True about front USB and rear connection. It seemed to work on with rear better. My computer is Window's XP media with a Pentium mmx chip and plenty of memory. My hard drive has plenty of space. Yet Kies full or Minnie freezes it just like Roxio. Remove it and clear from the registry and I am back to normal. Not sure what the problem is but it is very frustrating. I *****ed about Roxio on Crackberry and I will do the same about Kies here.
Like anything in life nothing is 100% but Android Captivate compared to RIM seems to work for me. I did hope the Torch was going to keep me there, but it was not to be the answer to Android.

Edited. The one thing I for got to say about the e-mail is when my messages do start to load they take forever. BB e-mail was instant and some with the .pps files or picture attachments I have to wait till I am on my regular computer. Is there a way to fix it to load faster. Even with Maildroid it is a problem and for some reason I am getting force closes with Maildroid since the OCLF. Still I think Maildroid is a very good app with fantastic support. I take nothing away from the developer or his app it could be something I did.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol