01-24-2011 08:19 AM
65 123
tools
    How and when can you get 2.2? I can't find anything about it except that it was released in the UK in September.. When i search for firmware updates it shows as nothing New.. Im stuck with 2.1 update 1
    12-09-2010 01:05 PM
    The official release as of right now is still not out. The only way you can get Froyo in the USA and Canada is by flashing a custom rom built on leaked versions of Froyo. Welcome to the waiting game. Please take number Elevnty-billion, You will be servered on the 12th of never.
    a1Will I Am likes this.
    12-09-2010 01:09 PM
    The official release as of right now is still not out. The only way you can get Froyo in the USA and Canada is by flashing a custom rom built on leaked versions of Froyo. Welcome to the waiting game. Please take number Elevnty-billion, You will be servered on the 12th of never.
    Echo Stress.
    WTF is the update!?
    We were supposed to get it when?
    Like sometime last month, ....aaaand....still nothing. Not even a targeted date.
    I know Sammy isn't to blame, it's AT&T. They're messing with it somehow to make sure the updates play well with their bloatware. LAME!
    12-09-2010 04:51 PM
    And I'd like that thingy fixed where it tells you where you are at on a map. I used to enjoy that on my Blackberry. Oh yeah, it's called GPS. It's been a while since I was able to use a working one of those..........
    12-09-2010 04:58 PM
    Which is why, when I go on vacation next week, I'll be taking my freshly rooted cappy one step further and dosing it with Cognition...
    12-09-2010 05:01 PM
    Which is why, when I go on vacation next week, I'll be taking my freshly rooted cappy one step further and dosing it with Cognition...
    I considered rooting, but I felt the actual update was supposed to have arrived shortly after my purchase that it wasn't worth the risk. Now I'm just in limbo. Frustrated I didn't root and still thinking the update is going to ready any day now.
    12-09-2010 05:16 PM
    I mean, AT&T does realize there are updates for our phones, right?
    What's the probability they never got the memo and they're just sitting on their collective fat asses not even aware of any Android updates for the Captivate?
    12-09-2010 05:18 PM
    Echo Stress.
    WTF is the update!?
    We were supposed to get it when?
    Like sometime last month, ....aaaand....still nothing. Not even a targeted date.
    I know Sammy isn't to blame, it's AT&T. They're messing with it somehow to make sure the updates play well with their bloatware. LAME!

I agree, the delay and the delay on top of that is just rediculous. Chances are the Nexus S had something to do with that. Some say it's because we will 2.3, doubtful. Well doubtful we will see it before 2.2.1. I gave up checking kies mini everyday and went with a custom rom. Customs will most likely run faster and actually gps lock faster than the official 2.2.1. Still... I will prolly flash back to stock and try it out for awhile. As I have stated before, If we don't see it by next week, we won't see it until next year.
    12-09-2010 05:19 PM
    Porkchop, I find myself in a similar boat as you. Thought about rooting but didn't want to deal with switching back to stock for an update that is rumored to come any day (plus with no valid word to confirm the rumors...allowing more speculation)

But your speculation of who to blame isn't doin your patience any favors...

2.1(.1) in itself is a capable beast of an OS. And since that GPSrestore app that Samsung supposedly put out (questioning if it was generated from Sammy), my 2.1 GPS is working....decently. Well enough to take a trip on.

And now the rumors of Galaxy's gettin first dibs on 2.3?!?! LMAO! Just another reason to stay un-rooted for that much longer....starting to sound like a conspiracy on me to keep un-rooted.
    12-10-2010 08:29 AM
    I mean, AT&T does realize there are updates for our phones, right?
    What's the probability they never got the memo and they're just sitting on their collective fat asses not even aware of any Android updates for the Captivate?
    I think it's as much Samsung as anything.

I saw where ATT was going to push the Froyo update soon for the Dell Streak (in hindsight, I wish I'd bought that unit instead of this Captivate).
    12-10-2010 08:51 AM
    Porkchop, I find myself in a similar boat as you. Thought about rooting but didn't want to deal with switching back to stock for an update that is rumored to come any day (plus with no valid word to confirm the rumors...allowing more speculation)

But your speculation of who to blame isn't doin your patience any favors...

2.1(.1) in itself is a capable beast of an OS. And since that GPSrestore app that Samsung supposedly put out (questioning if it was generated from Sammy), my 2.1 GPS is working....decently. Well enough to take a trip on.

And now the rumors of Galaxy's gettin first dibs on 2.3?!?! LMAO! Just another reason to stay un-rooted for that much longer....starting to sound like a conspiracy on me to keep un-rooted.
    well I can UNroot yes? that's what the one click rooting says.. I'm still reseaching pros and cons and it really seems to hing on the release of 2.2.. and they wont bloody tell us what that IS
    12-11-2010 07:59 PM
    well I can UNroot yes? that's what the one click rooting says.. I'm still reseaching pros and cons and it really seems to hing on the release of 2.2.. and they wont bloody tell us what that IS
    You can easily unroot, yes. Particularly if you're using z4root, it's one click away.
    12-11-2010 09:11 PM
    Yes...it's supposed to be a one click back to un-root.

But the fact that I've heard the odd story of it not un-rooting successfully, was enough to scare me off of doin it.

....till AFTER the update.
    12-13-2010 08:58 AM
    It is not just the 2.2 release... you all realize that the same bloat on your phone now will be there with the official 2.2 from ATT right? Not rooting to save your warranty I understand. Not rooting because you think the 2.2 you get from ATT will satisfy you... not so much.

And the rooting is just the onramp to your journey. Loading a custom ROM (already rooted) is where that road ends, and it includes things you just can't get from stock. Tethering, wireless AP tethering, built-in lagfix, access to HSUPA (think iphone only secret high-speed upload network, aka 3.5G) and so on.

I only mention it because the talk of "rooting" and then going back to get the update... you will NEVER go back once you get off stock. There is no need to. Any update ATT would push, would be included in a newer version of the custom ROM or more likely, have already been included in the custom ROM for weeks or months.

Not trying to sell anyone, as I would never tell anyone to void their warranty... just wanted to point out that once you load a custom ROM (which is what I think you REALLY mean when you say root), there is no need to ever go back to stock except if you are giving ATT your phone back. You will not want to.

If you want more reading than you know what to do with-
    Captivate Android Development - xda-developers

That is where the research is! Good luck.
    Kalifornia likes this.
    12-15-2010 01:56 PM
    just got done chatting with customer service at samsung lol . asked them about froyo this time they told me they are in the process of getting update ready. then i asked about when froyo is released what about gingerbread? they said my galaxy s device will be updated in series to 2.3 after froyo . i just want froyo dont want to hack my phone just waiting and waiting for them
    01-05-2011 11:11 AM
    Ok now call them back, you will get a different person, and see if they have the same answer ha ha!. Waiting for att or samsung is like being a teenager waiting to grow a freakin mustache....quit looking in the mirror and put cognition on your phone and ENJOY it
    01-05-2011 11:38 AM
    Hi all I updated to the Cognition 2.3b8 ROM and I must say it is fantastic. My phone is faster smoother and just better in general. Thanks design gears.
    01-05-2011 07:58 PM
    01-06-2011 05:03 PM
    Hi all I updated to the Cognition 2.3b8 ROM and I must say it is fantastic. My phone is faster smoother and just better in general. Thanks design gears.
    Ditto. +1
    01-07-2011 04:54 AM
    I ran cognition 2.3b8 but had to downgrade back to 2.1 and its depressing.... My work exchange email wasn't working in cognition.
    01-07-2011 12:59 PM
    Hi all I updated to the Cognition 2.3b8 ROM and I must say it is fantastic. My phone is faster smoother and just better in general.
    Same here.

I was very hesitant, but after spending a LOT of time researching it, I could see no real downside. Now I wish I had done it a long time ago. The performance upgrade is so significant (at least it is on my device) that it is like having a new phone.

My phone had gotten like an old laptop - the more I used it the more lag and lockups I got. Now it flies.
    01-07-2011 01:00 PM
    It is not just the 2.2 release... you all realize that the same bloat on your phone now will be there with the official 2.2 from ATT right? Not rooting to save your warranty I understand. Not rooting because you think the 2.2 you get from ATT will satisfy you... not so much.
    I only quoted part of this but the full post is what did it for me. I was finally convinced to pull the trigger and root/upgrade to 2.2 after reading this post. Glad I did. I was a bit nervous but it was easier than I thought and the benefits are worth it. No bloatware, tethering, greater flexibility and less lag.
    01-07-2011 07:40 PM
    I rooted my brand new Captivate to the leaked froyo. I enjoyed it, phone broke, so I got a new one on behalf of at&t.

I'm gonna wait to see what happens with the "update", in the mean time, I have a Aria that I just rooted to keep me happy.
    01-08-2011 05:47 AM
    I rooted mine over New Year's weekend and flashed to Cog2.3b8 mid last week... still AT&T bloatware but loving the rest so far...
    01-10-2011 09:24 AM
    Me too, me too, me too!!!!!!!
    01-11-2011 03:28 PM
65 123