New Captivate Owners / Android Users - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello, folks.

First, let me apologize in advance to moderators if there's a specific place to start these "new android user" threads.

Second, I'm sure everyone wants to know the circumstances which led me down the Android path.

I have an iPhone 3 GS, 32 GB. It has served me quite well over the past year and a half. I bought it as at the upgrade discount price in July of 09, jailbroke it, kept iOS 3.1.3 and abstained from any iOS updates during all this time. Since that time I was in smartphone heaven. My phone did exactly what I wanted it to do, and other than not being able to add attachments to my emails in a conventional manner, I never had any complaints

About two weeks ago, I shut down my phone, and when I restarted it, nothing happened. Soft bricked. I had to restore my phone, and was forced to upgrade to iOS 4.2. My jailbreak is gone, and my phone is running a little sluggishly. I am available for an upgrade, but even before a couple of weeks ago, I was interested in getting the iPhone 4. One problem. When I purchased my 3 GS, Even at the upgrade discount price ($300), I bought a case, a screen protector, and after purchasing an Apple Care package, I was out nearly $500. I wasn't prepared to do the same a year and a half later (because if I was gonna get the new iPhone, it was going to be the 32 GB model).

Upon the iOS 4.2 fiasco, I was confronted with the upgrade issue once again. Then, I asked myself:

Yes, the iPhone 4 has new features (well, new in the iPhone universe), and is a hardware upgrade, but it's still basically the same user interface. Do I really want to stare at iOS for another year and a half to two years? No, I don't. I'm bored with it.

Second, everyone has one, and yes, I understand it's a great phone, and unbelievably easy to use. I know this. But, I don't want to bah it up with the rest of the flock anymore. I don't want to be like everyone else. It's just part of my nature. Go against the grain and what not, and while it won't be the case in the future, I like that Android isn't absolutely everywhere you look. I also like that you need to work at making the Android experience enjoyable. I get that ultra nerd sense of accomplishment when I get my phone working the way I want it to.

So, I check out CNET, bring up their top phones for AT&T list, and see the Captivate. I check out the review, and the specs, and go digging around the interweb for additional info. I go to the AT&T store to play around with it, and of course, the demo model isn't going to be a very good representation of what the actual user experience will be, but I liked it, regardless.

AT&T has the phone at $199 at the upgrade discount price. I saw the Captivate at Wal Mart for $100. I decided I would hold off until after christmas to get my phone, because I would still need a microSD card, a case, a charger, and a screen protector.

I then see an advertisement on the net for Amazon. They're selling the Captivate for 1 cent (yes, .01 in American currency). I go to the Amazon Wireless site, but the 1 cent price is for new users only. For users available for an upgrade, the price is $40. After seeing another couple of good deals on Amazon, my girlfriend bought me the phone, a cheap case, car charger, and screen protector (which will be replaced a little later...I just wanted something to keep my phone from harm until I can get what I really want), and a 16 GB microSD card as my Christmas present, and all for $70.

My phone should be arriving early this coming week.

I'm going to be rooting my phone, along with flashing it with a custom ROM, so I think I can work my way through the common issues some users face with the Captivate.

My only concern is this: One of the things I loved about my iPhone is its battery life. Two to three hours of music a day (MP3's, not streaming), about an hour talk time, approximately fifty text messages, about twenty to thirty minutes of web browsing, and sometimes an hour or so of video, and at the end of a fourteen hour day, I have approximately thirty percent battery left.

I did have 3G off most of the time, same with location services (I only turned these on when I used GPS), and had my brightness down pretty low.

Can my Captivate provide the same experience? From my understanding, the only way to toggle between 3G and 2G is to change the settings through the dialer, and honestly, I'm okay with that. It appeals to my nerdiness, but can I still have the same multimedia use that I had with my iPhone? Does it have enough battery life to last the entire day with the usage described above?

I'll still have my 3GS of course, and can continue to use it as my MP3 player, but I liked having my phone and my music in one device, and if I can still avoid carrying two devices around, it would be great.

Please let me know your opinions, and thanks in advance.

***********UPDATE*******************

Just got my Captivate last night, and it has blown my skull apart. Beautiful screen, and even on the stock ROM, it's pretty snappy. The browsing experience is outstanding, and even the GPS works fine in my part of the world. I'll be rooting and flashing this weekend. Wish me luck! In your face, that particular company named after that fruit which allegedly reduces visits to a medical physician!

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
First, let me apologize in advance to moderators if there's a specific place to start these "new android user" threads.

Can my Captivate provide the same experience? From my understanding, the only way to toggle between 3G and 2G is to change the settings through the dialer, and honestly, I'm okay with that. It appeals to my nerdiness, but can I still have the same multimedia use that I had with my iPhone? Does it have enough battery life to last the entire day with the usage described above?

Welcome to Android Central! You are posting in the right place because there is no introductions thread in this forum - but there is now! I'm going to sticky your thread so other new members can say hello here as well.

The next OS update (Froyo, Android 2.2) will actually have a 3G toggle - this will make it a lot easier than using those dialer codes. We are expecting this update any day/week now. If you check the Android Central front page or this forum, we'll be sure to let you know when it's released :D

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The battery is a lot better with a custom ROM. It is up to you to decide which one to use as most have minor tweaks here and there, but are pretty much the same to an extent. Most people with moderate use are able to go a full day with battery left. I usually go 1 1/2 days with minimal use. Make sure if you are not going to be on wifi that you have it sleep as that seems to be a huge battery draw. If you know you wont be using the phone at all I would use airplane mode and with the phone in sleep I lose no battery for long periods of time. You can use the phone as a mp3 player, most dont have any issues with it. You should enjoy the phone as long as you don't mind tweaking and making it better. The ones that I have seen really complain and hate the phone have not taken much time to do so. And then you also have those that aren't happy no matter what. GL.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Even without being (fully) rooted, i can get through the day with streaming music off of my music player, texting making phone calls and browsing websites and the forums and make it home with about 25-40% battery remaining.

brew1985

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey! I'm new to Android as well! I had a Bold 9700 for a year, decided I wanted a more in-depth smart phone, plus I wanted to jump on board the touchscreen bandwagon. I really liked what I saw with Android (+ I'm a bit biased against iPhone, although I really do think the 4 is a sweet phone) and was extremely happy to see Samsung's Galaxy S line coming to all 4 major networks. So in August I started saving up (newlywed life is expensive). Well by the time I finally had the money I really liked what I was seeing in WP7, so I took the plunge and got a Surround. I loved that phone, realized I was going to have to be patient and wait for updates to really get the phone modern, but I really like the Metro UI. Well, I had that surround for 11 days before it crashed on me and wiped my phone clean. I spent an hour reinstalling all of my apps, did a soft reset, and it wiped it again. I got the Captivate that I should have gotten in the first place about 2 hours later and I'm lovin it! Android is an unstoppable giant in the mobile market and I'm glad I'm on board!

Paralegal99

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
New Android & Captivate Owner

Hi All,

I've been using smartphones since 2004 and the Moto MPX-200 (I think that's right) which had WinMo 2003. Since then I've had the Cingular 3125 (Star Trek), Blackjacks 1 & 2...and then about 2 years ago made the jump to Apple Iphone 3G.
Loved the Iphone but hated that just simple modifications were not allowed, case in point...the Lock Screen..a complete waste of space that I would have wanted the time, calendar events..weather...etc. I jailbroke it one time and I experience at least 2 crashes a day...so I went back to being locked. I've been following android since the G1 was released and have seen it come into its own. I've been following the Android Central Podcasts since last July (2010). Based on the podcasts and info here...I finally decided to get a Samsung Captivate on Black Friday...for free...well...2 year contact and all...but still!...not a bad deal. I'll be honest...I almost returned the phone due mostly to how hard it is to get contacts from Outlook to the phone. It just shouldn't be that difficult. Well I found a workaround and have been loving the android experience ever since. I figure I'm going to stay with the stock 2.1 ROM until the official Froyo is released (hopefully soon). I want to stay stock at least for the 30 day return period...first to learn android...and in case something funky happens and I have to return it. I know about the XDA website for many years, it was a great source of different ROMS that I used with the Samsung BlackJacks.
Thats my story in a nutshell. I look forward to reading the various posts and news items here and to post if I have a question or if I have anything useful to post. Being an android newbie though...I'll probably be just reading more than posting. :D

Paralegal99

yuy104

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all!

I've been using Blackberry for the past few years (Curve 8310 then Bold 9700) and just received my Samsung Captivate from Dell Mobility today! The phone looks super sleek, now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to get the most out of it. Thanks!

linuxdad36

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
hi all

Hello, I have been a long time palm user, just now giving up my palm pre plus. I hope i will enjoy using my new captivate when it arrives. New to android. Is the OS pretty easy to navigate? Not really sure what else to say. I look forward to my new phone.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
To Paralegal99:

Like you I got my Captivate for free on Black Friday too. I spent a lot of time researching the Captivate as I thought I was going to get a Windows 7 (my previous phone was WM 6.1) phone but when I physically looked at both I liked the Android OS better.

Post your work around for syncing Outlook, that subject probably deserves its own thread. There are a couple of suggestions on the random shutdowns thread I haven't tried yet and you're supposed to be able to do it through Kies but I couldn't-need to experiment with it a little more.

I was able to sync Outlook by downloading DejaOffice from the Marketplace for free and a trial version of CompanionLink on my PC but unless I have to I don't want to pay $40 for the CompanionLink software.

My first Captivate worked perfectly except the random shutdowns so I exchanged it and haven't had a problem. I'm glad I decided to give Android a try.

Last edited:

irezloe217

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Add me to this list! Can't complain @ $50, and I get what I feel is a true upgrade from my old iPhone 3G...with the processor in the 3GS being better, the 4G and all the new Android phones were just giants in comparison. Now, I finally feel like I have a phone that is fitting for me, thankfully.

yogirl#AC

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been using smartphones for quite awhile. I had a Blackjack 1, then went to a Blackberry Bold 9000, and am now a proud Captivate. I see Android as the future. RIM doesn't seem to be moving forward, so I had to. I love my new phone.

bigsmitty64

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone from the North East United States,
Just got my Captivate a couple weeks ago (black friday). I Was a long time iPhone user. I can't say enough about this phone. I got on the "open source" road last year when I downloaded my first copy of Ubuntu (9.10), and quickly ditched windows and never looked back. My iPhone feels like a toy now on the rare occasion I do play around with it ( I gave it to my daughter) Not to mention the restrictions from Apple. Plus I can drag and drop with Ubuntu 10.10
and have had 0 problems thus far. I hope to get to know some peeps on here and look forward to helping out around here once I get my feet wet with this thing. Have a good one,
Smitty

carbon

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey everybody, my name is Nick, and I am a new Captivate owner.

Apparently I suck at 'teh bargain hunting skillz' and bought one from an AT&T store, but they gave me $50 credit on my bill so I paid $149.99 instead of $199.99. :(

I left T-Mobile as a customer of over 10 years... you know, back to the VoiceStream days? And I hope I don't regret going with AT&T. :eek: The wife was absolutely in dire need of the iPhone 4 :)confused:) and she gets a 23% or some odd discount from her employer for AT&T service plans... :rolleyes: So I couldn't justify not switching at the end of our contract.

So here I am, and I f'ing love this phone. :cool:

So do I get extra points if I use all the smilies? ;) :p

Paralegal99

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Outlook Contact Management Workaround

To Paralegal99:

Like you I got my Captivate for free on Black Friday too. I spent a lot of time researching the Captivate as I thought I was going to get a Windows 7 (my previous phone was WM 6.1) phone but when I physically looked at both I liked the Android OS better.

Post your work around for syncing Outlook, that subject probably deserves its own thread. There are a couple of suggestions on the random shutdowns thread I haven't tried yet and you're supposed to be able to do it through Kies but I couldn't-need to experiment with it a little more.

I was able to sync Outlook by downloading DejaOffice from the Marketplace for free and a trial version of CompanionLink on my PC but unless I have to I don't want to pay $40 for the CompanionLink software.

My first Captivate worked perfectly except the random shutdowns so I exchanged it and haven't had a problem. I'm glad I decided to give Android a try.

I actually made a post called Contact Management (or something like that) where I asked for help but there was no response. I came back to that posting and wrote out the following solution. The workaround was a PC program called gsynchit. I bought this when the Google Sync program was not working for Outlook 2010. I think it cost about $20.00 but it syncs up calendar, contacts and more. It allows you to sync up different Outlook contact folders so you can pick and choose what you want sync'ed. Well worth the $20.00 and solved my problem with the contact management issue.

I hope this helps my fellow android newbies as we all learn how to best use our new devices.

Happy Holidays to all!

Paralegal99

Paralegal99

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
AT&T, from what I have read, is really hit or miss depending where you are. I also was with T-Mobile (starting out with VoiceStream too) but left them around 2003 because of their lousy customer service. Here is Colorado Springs, Colorado...AT&T is really good. In fact they did a major upgrade of cell towers and 3G in the entire area and I pretty much have 3G everywhere I go to include good voice reception. Best part with my upgrade to the Captivate was I was able to keep my unlimited data plan. Hope you have as good AT&T coverage where your at.

Paralegal99

DocB0311

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello Fellow Captivate Users

I have just purchased this phone and need to find the best app for making it a 3G mobile hotspot. Looking forward to everyones replies!

Thanks!

GChundrlek

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm also a new Captivate owner, and I can't complain about AT&T (although part of that is due to my 25% discount). I had an Android theme on the LG Vu I had prior to getting the Captivate, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with Android.

deblyn

Dec 15, 2010
www.girlsbestfriends.com
Hi, Inno! To answer your question, Yes, you can get the same or better battery life from the Captivate, especially if you use it as you have said you will. Where the battery life suffers is, as usual, in downloading. Uses and inordinate amount of the battery. Also, it will depend on how many apps you allow to stay "on" without you tapping the icon to use. You should check regularly if battery starts going down quickly and then turn apps off that are using memory. Also, I downloaded an app that stays resident in memory... it's sole purpose is to warn you of huge battery drain. It works well.

Enjoy your new Captivate. I've only had mine a month now... got it from Amazon Wireless for .01 ! Yup...too good to be true! I do NOT know what I did without it!

npyle

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone, just introducing my newbie self ;o) Just got a samsung captivate about 2 weeks ago--coming over from a Pre+...so far enjoying the stock features, but starting to read and find out more information on rooting, rom's, etc. Learning lots....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781