moving apps to sd card.

bjballar41

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
so i need to move my apps to my sd card cause i need to do a factory reset on the phone my question is will the app store remember what i had downloaded and i can just redownload all that like itunes does for ipods and iphones or do i really need to move them and i also downloaded launcher pro plus how will i go about getting it back do i need to email the guy and ask him or what? any help on this.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Apps are tied to your google email address.

That said, the easiest way to back apps up is by using "titanium backup" from the market. Remember to either change the backup directory from internal storage to external SD, or copy the directory to a safe place.

Your original post was hard to read. Shorter sentences, with punctuation, help the reader.

AoN

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Use appbrain. The Android market does not store non paid apps. If you are on Froyo you can use apps2sd but I am not sure if that is a root application or not. If you are on eclair your only option is root and use Titanium backup or write down all of your non paid apps for future download.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Just connect via mass storage mode and copy everything over before doing the reset. Once you start over again, go into the market and you should be able to install your apps (the default google way this is supposed to work is broken on our phones, and probably most vendor phones too). Install the apps manually (it will remember everything you have paid for, though Launcher Pro as well as any other non-US app, requires the unlock code... hope you saved that email).

Once you reinstall everything, selectively copy the folders back for apps that have "data" saved you need. This is where you will really wish you had TiBu. It SHOULD work since you are not loading a new ROM or anything, but restoring app DATA is one of pitfalls/problem areas.

Apple "owns" the iPhones in a way that allows them to backup/restore the entire phone in a nicer way than we can. Note however that you can ONLY do it with iTunes, which is Apple's safety net. This issue is a doorway to app piracy (which is why Apple does it the way it does) and why it is not so easy with Android, as Android is far more open and thus technically easier to "pirate" apps.

It screws you when it comes to backup/restore, and it is a common reason for people to root their phone.

bjballar41

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
ive noticed that plugging my phone into a computer it doesnt come up as a mass storage device do i need to turn it on or something?

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Before I put cognition on my phone, I rooted it and backed up all my apps with it and saved the backup file on my laptop. Now that I have cognition on it, there is one app called "shooter ballistics" that I used alot and it has alot of info on it that I do not want to have to restore manually. It is in that backed up file. How do I restore ONLY that one app with the back up file and titanium? I am thinking put the back up file on my ext sd card and try that, but im not sure this is the proper way?? I do not want to restore ALL of the apps from that back-up file. many of them were free along with the att trash that came on my phone. Anyone do this before? btw.... I used titanium to back them up as well.... One more question, I had alot of notes I saved using the stock "memo" app, and before I put cogn on my captivate, I emailed them to myself to back them up as well. Now when I open the email and click "preview", I am unable to open them? Is there a way to open them and restore them onto my phone like they were? It saves them as a "vnt" file.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol