SD Card Class

apbthe3

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a 16GB Class 6 and it works great. I couldn't imagine that a Class 10 card would increase performance by any amount meaningful enough to justify paying more than double for it, unless you were both constantly replacing the contents of the entire card and very impatient.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Those class 10 cards don't make a bit of difference in phones like ours. They are mostly meant for HD cameras and camcorders. Go for more GB's and lower class. Personally I have a 32GB class 2 and have had zero issues in terms of performance. That said, If you use the camcorder frequently, get a class 6. I've read there is less stuttering with it.

Reactions: 1977burton

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I transfer a lot of files from phone to computer. My class 4 is indeed faster at this than my class 2. I think it also performs better with HD playback. I also don't sacrifice storage for higher class. Class 10, like cory says, not going to make a difference in the phone. I like class 4, a nice compromise.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Like you say, in the phone, class of card is moot. I wasn't about to pay for a class 10 in a cell phone. I read at xda, the nexus one needing higher class cards to run some roms? Not sure about that one. The only reason I have 16 gig class 4, is the generic one in my phone failed, and lovely verizon just pulled a spendy name brand class 4 from the wall and inserted it (sandisk) 10 year warranty : )

Lord_Micron

Dec 22, 2010
www.reverb-lounge.com
When transferring to and from your phone, it aids the speed...

Most people overlook Lexar as a flash vendor, but are seriously mistaken!

They've got a 32GB Class 10 that's available cheaper via Provantage ($88) than ANY 32GB card on Newegg ($94), regardless of Class 2 or 4, which is the fastest anyone else has in 32...

(NOTE: My namesake has NOTHING to do with the following vendors!)

Lexar is to Micron as Crucial is to Micron. They are simply the direct integrator of Micron memory chips onto the desired form factor(s). Just like Crucial slaps their Micron memory chips onto the PCBs. The number of other vendors who do that are next to none. Their warranty and support service are (typically) fast and pleasant to deal with in the odd event something happens with their products.

So needless to say when I ran across these on sale from Provantage a few weeks ago, I bought a few for my phones, Nook, etc. Couldn't be happier, and noticed a bump from the existing SanDisk Ultra 8GB (Class 6) I've had since Nov-2008 when I grabbed the Bold 9000.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
When transferring to and from your phone, it aids the speed...

Most people overlook Lexar as a flash vendor, but are seriously mistaken!

They've got a 32GB Class 10 that's available cheaper via Provantage ($88) than ANY 32GB card on Newegg ($94), regardless of Class 2 or 4, which is the fastest anyone else has in 32...

(NOTE: My namesake has NOTHING to do with the following vendors!)

Lexar is to Micron as Crucial is to Micron. They are simply the direct integrator of Micron memory chips onto the desired form factor(s). Just like Crucial slaps their Micron memory chips onto the PCBs. The number of other vendors who do that are next to none. Their warranty and support service are (typically) fast and pleasant to deal with in the odd event something happens with their products.

So needless to say when I ran across these on sale from Provantage a few weeks ago, I bought a few for my phones, Nook, etc. Couldn't be happier, and noticed a bump from the existing SanDisk Ultra 8GB (Class 6) I've had since Nov-2008 when I grabbed the Bold 9000.

I had no idea this card existed. Does it say class 10 on it? I couldn't find a single reseller that mentioned the class rating of the card. Also, have you ran any benchmark tests/comparisons by any chance? It would be interesting to hear the results.

Edit: I did find the class 10 notation on Lexar's website. I still seems odd that none of the resellers mention this. I'd think it would be a big selling point.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It looks like it is 10 years also.

I bought my Sandisk 32GB card when it first came out. It failed about a month later. They were really great about RMA'ing it for me, but it took 2 months to get my replacement! I had to go out and buy a second card :(

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, toshiba was great about warranting the mother board/video cards in my laptop,2 months, had to buy another computer. Looks like I know where to go upgrading to 32 GIG (after I read 30 or so reviews lol) thank you cory for the link.

Lord_Micron

Dec 22, 2010
www.reverb-lounge.com
Will have to get some spare time to do some benchies... none now!

What would you like to see as far as they're concerned?

Chris - Seeing you're from Ballston Spa... dated a girl from Ballston Lake back in college, nice area; 'specially up towards Saratoga! :cool:

c0ldburn3r

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Class 10 is the way to go for large file transfers but class 6 works just as well. Stay away from Provantage... needless to say I had to get my states AG involved (shudders).

Slayers

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
After looking around I found a 16gig class 10 Patriot on newegg for 40 shipped I have not run any test on it yet but for that price I will not complain