Way to improve Captivate signal strength?

MisterDBarton

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I work in a building that drops my signal strength down from 4-5 bars to about 0-1. Are there any cases, or antenna's that I can stick to the back of the case (inside or out) to improve my signal strength? Perhaps something like a stick-on antenna signal booster?

Last edited:

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Stick-on boosters are snake oil, don't waste your time or money.

Take off the battery cover. See the round gold connector top right? Samsung claims that's an external antenna plug "mcx" type connector. AT&T says nothing.

But an external antenna won't help you unless you've got a direct view of a tower and you keep your phone at that spot.

Other option is a booster, about $350. You put an external antenna where it can see a tower, cable it to the booster, put the booster in your room or near it, and it works like a mini-cell tower.

Last option--and possibly the one to work for you--is to buy a femtocell or picocell from AT&T. About $100 and you plug it into an internet connection or a phone line (ask them which). That's another mini-cell tower in a box, it gives you your own tower, right in the room. Range should be good for at least 100' in all directions on your floor in an office building.

Cell phones are radios. Radios don't work well underground, underwater, under dense construction. There are limited ways to bring a signal into a bunker.

eakinsb

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a metal shop, outside the shop I get a weak signal, inside I get no signal at all. About a year ago I installed a Wilson Electronics SIGNALBOOST DT Dual-Band 800/1900 MHz Desktop Amplifier. Now I get better signal inside the shop than outside. Also, I do not have direct line of sight to a tower, I'm not even sure where it is, I just kept adjusting it until it was right. Only $250.00, and worth every penny. By the way I have Verizon, but friends come over with other carriers and it seems to work for them as well.

Here's the link: http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/801247.php

Thanks

MisterDBarton

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for something that I can attach to the phone. Like a bumper or something. Perhaps a case that helps the signal (even a little bit)...?