Get Android 2.2 from UK or Canada for AT&T Captivate ??

cdi_h

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am a newbie to android. Owned an iphone before I got the AT&T Captivate. I am quite happy with the captivate except that we can't get android 2.2 here in US.

Here is my question:
Well if UK & Canada already got the Android 2.2? I am guessing these are set of files. Why can't we get those files from UK or Canada and load it on the AT & T captivate?

I understand the android 2.2 from UK or Canada would have their custom stuff like AT&T apps. But who cares.

As I said, I am newbie to android & may be I am over simplfying this...

If I had posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know.

Thanks

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am a newbie to android. Owned an iphone before I got the AT&T Captivate. I am quite happy with the captivate except that we can't get android 2.2 here in US.

Here is my question:
Well if UK & Canada already got the Android 2.2? I am guessing these are set of files. Why can't we get those files from UK or Canada and load it on the AT & T captivate?

I understand the android 2.2 from UK or Canada would have their custom stuff like AT&T apps. But who cares.

As I said, I am newbie to android & may be I am over simplfying this...

If I had posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know.

Thanks

there is froyo for the captivate, my girlfriend uses it and we are in jersey

here is the file you need FROYO

and watch this video on how to apply it

Reactions: LFriedhoff

cdi_h

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What I am trying to get at is, why we can't get a stock version of Android 2.2 released by Samsung to UK or Canada, get those files and load it on a AT&T Captivate? Is it possible?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
this is a stock version , so the real question is, if independent developers can do it, samsung can certainly do it. But everyone is so busy blaming samsung when maybe samsung isnt the problem. If the rest of the world has it on thier glaxay S phones, what is it that you and i have in common. The US carriers..

and the question why cant we just use canada's or the UK's 2 reasons, AT&T add on software and because they run on different type radio signals than we do. Besides those two things its the same phone right.

So who is really to blame..... meanwhile samsung is saying , oh well we are still working on it... perhaps they are just taking the blame because their customers (NOT YOU NOR I, The carriers) wouldnt like it very much if they were blamed.

Just a thought. dont jump down my throat everyone.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ah, so it's a 100% untouched Froyo leak? My mistake, I assumed it was a link to a custom ROM. Stock leaks work as well.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
There was a Froyo leak in October specifically for the U.S. version of the Captivate (I897UCJI6 - FROYO - for real - xda-developers). It was based on JI6. It worked well, but more leaks came out shortly after (JJ4 I think was the last one specifically for the Captivate). The developers took these leaks and created those custom ROMs we all love. However, most of the custom ROMs that we see now are based on the Rogers Captivate or the I9000 Galaxy S since the source code has been released for those official Froyo releases.

c0ldburn3r

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Last edited: