Samsung thought they wanted my opinion

dragonpup

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So Samsung sent me an email asking me to take a short survey with my opinion on my Captivate.

"Sure, why not?" I mused.

So I follow the link, answer the 1-10 rating questions giving honest scores and low scores about recommending Samsung phones to friends and families, and then it asked if I had any more comments. I honestly put down the absurdly slow software updates and medicore GPS were making me consider HTC and Moto for my next phones. I hit submit to finish the survey, and this is the 'thank you' message the survey generated.

"Thank you for your interest. However, at this time, we are looking for survey respondents who fit a different profile."

Funny, because I am starting to look for a cell phone maker that fit a different profile, too.

crackmyberry2

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
They didn't want the stats skewed...lol. Fact is they are horrible, the Fascinate is terrible. Terrible signal, terrible GPS, terrible updating. We could go on and on, moto Droid X is outstanding, I use it and love it. Lots of new stuff coming soon so chances are you WILLA find another device other than Samsung that you will like. Good luck with other surveys...

gr8cop

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
That's funny and sad. I got the same response when I did the survey for my Vibrant. Samsung you want the truth? You can't handle the truth.

hoonaynay

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Lol oh Samsung.. I was waiting inside of the Herald Square VZW store the other night waiting for a friend, and I was keeping an eye on this rep who was trying so hard to get a customer to upgrade to the Fascinate. She said it didn't look her type, and that she was looking for a Droid. To this, he replied, "oh, this Is a Droid!" She gave him a skeptic look, but he pressed the issue. I interjected, and told her, and I quote, "ma'am, this guy is feeding you the smelliest bull**** ever." Then I told her the whole shebang about Motorola and exactly which phones were Droids. The guy fumed, but tried to play it off by saying the specs were exactly the same, so its technically a Droid. After a couple more minutes of shutting him down, I told her to keep her upgrade for an upcoming LTE Android device. Oh and then she asked me about the iphone thus cutting the rep out of the loop entirely. Needless to say, she will be seeing a lot more Lloyd in her future.
so to summarize, my story had absolutely nothing to do with samsung's poor track record. Well, I guess its relevant considering employees are dying to sell some fascinates..

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Lol oh Samsung.. I was waiting inside of the Herald Square VZW store the other night waiting for a friend, and I was keeping an eye on this rep who was trying so hard to get a customer to upgrade to the Fascinate. She said it didn't look her type, and that she was looking for a Droid. To this, he replied, "oh, this Is a Droid!" She gave him a skeptic look, but he pressed the issue. I interjected, and told her, and I quote, "ma'am, this guy is feeding you the smelliest bull**** ever." Then I told her the whole shebang about Motorola and exactly which phones were Droids. The guy fumed, but tried to play it off by saying the specs were exactly the same, so its technically a Droid. After a couple more minutes of shutting him down, I told her to keep her upgrade for an upcoming LTE Android device. Oh and then she asked me about the iphone thus cutting the rep out of the loop entirely. Needless to say, she will be seeing a lot more Lloyd in her future.
so to summarize, my story had absolutely nothing to do with samsung's poor track record. Well, I guess its relevant considering employees are dying to sell some fascinates..

You do realize the term "Droid" just just a marketing trademark, right? Both Moto and HTC have "Droids". The title doesn't dictate the quality. Although those phones do have better manufacturer support. I enjoy know it all customers...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You do realize the term "Droid" just just a marketing trademark, right? Both Moto and HTC have "Droids". The title doesn't dictate the quality. Although those phones do have better manufacturer support. I enjoy know it all customers...

Actually this is only half true. Yes it is marketing but in order to be classified as a Droid it has to have Google search on it and the Fascinate does not so even if you set marketing aside it is NOT a Droid.

Like most of you this will be my LAST Samsung phone and as much as I want a Galaxy Tab there is no way I would buy it because of the OS issue.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thats funny cause I finally made an att.net email address and did the yahoo home page thing on my phone. About 2 hrs ago I have an email asking to take the survery. Think it is the same. I do it and get the same response you did at the end. So I wasted my time and Samsung is full of crap on wanting to know the truth...

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I sent the link to this thread to @SamsungJessica (twitter) hoping she might take a look and offer her thoughts considering this is her twitter bio:
Social Media Analyst for Samsung Electronics USA. You can catch me tweeting from @SamsungService assisting Samsung customers with product questions. Just ask!

She is sending this on to the "Mobile Team" at Samsung.

Last edited:

hoonaynay

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site

So if I ran into you at a VZW store, picked up the Fascinate and told you that you would absolutely love this new Droid device, you wouldn't mind that? You would take my word for it, and say, "hell, it must be a Droid if the guy in the red sweater says it is"? Better yet, what if you had told me you preferred the iPhone4, but I countered with "Oh, but this is the iDroid!" After all, the "i" is for marketing purposes.

And the title doesn't dictate the quality? You can save that line for Apple fanboys. Think about how versatile and great the original Droid was. Now tell me what would happen if the Droid moniker was stamped onto mediocre devices.

BUT BACK TO THE ISSUE AT HAND: Samsung is giving me yet another reason to be ashamed to be Korean.

Oh, and I enjoy half-assed replies.

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
re: hoonaynay
Android Newbie
Device(s): Motorola DROID2 Global
ROM/Kernel: ROMulan. Kernel...Sanders

...I was told that I'd be the only person using that ROM/Kernel combination....I want my money back!

Seriously, the first survey I did they accepted because I thought they honestly tried to correct the shut down problem and answered as such. The second and third surveys for repeated repair attempts weren't accepted. I tried relatively good answers for the third survey request but answered no to the "...recommend to friends.." and Samsung rufused the survey saying that it doesn't fit their profile.

makav3ll1

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually this is only half true. Yes it is marketing but in order to be classified as a Droid it has to have Google search on it and the Fascinate does not so even if you set marketing aside it is NOT a Droid.

Like most of you this will be my LAST Samsung phone and as much as I want a Galaxy Tab there is no way I would buy it because of the OS issue.

Its not a droid because it has bing? Dumbest thing I have ever heard from some idiot on a forum.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Its not a droid because it has bing? Dumbest thing I have ever heard from some idiot on a forum.

No that is Verizon's stance on it. From the Fascinate forward if they put the name Droid on the beginning of it it will have Google but all future ones (He the HTC Merge if that ever actually comes out) that don't have the name Droid on them will have Bing. Do your research before you call someone stupid.

hoonaynay

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
odd..

re: hoonaynay
Android Newbie
Device(s): Motorola DROID2 Global
ROM/Kernel: ROMulan. Kernel...Sanders

...I was told that I'd be the only person using that ROM/Kernel combination....I want my money back!

Odd.. I was told this ROM/Kernal combination was accidentally put onto my phone, but that I would be able to keep it. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles