Data Usage

Andy Thatcher

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
As the Captivate is the only high end Android on AT&T at the moment thought I would ask you about data usage.

Currently have a B9700 and the upcoming Atrix has me thinking.

Now while I will agree that there are limitations with the Berry it does a couple of things really well such as using a minimal amount of data.

I am not concerned about usage when at home, wifi, but at the office I trundle through about 100 odd emails a day, twitter, fb and a little surfing so on the Berry I use on average 170mb of my allotted 200 every month.

I realise my usage will change but was wondering how much data you use on average with the Captivate ?

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone for all of my internet needs - home and away (no wi-fi at the house). That being said, I would consider myself a light to moderate user. Daily, I run through about 30 emails or so, surf the web for about 30 minutes to an hour, check the weather, etc. On the weekends, I do more web surfing than I do during the week. I average about 20mb a day during the week and about 50mb a day on the weekends. I do not push email, nor do I have a lot of widgets running - just 2 weather widgets that update every 3 hours. I normally end up with a little more than 1gb of usage a month.

My wife has an iPhone. She checks emails daily (about 30 or so) and does some light web surfing. She is normally ends up with about 150mb a month.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i elave my wifi on at home and work but i use about 700mb a month when im away from wifi. so if you have a 2gb plan you will be fine but a 200 plan is tight.

Andy Thatcher

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
That is what I was thinking.

Usually too busy at work to do much of anything other than check a few bits and bobs but as said I am aware that my usage will change.

Had a couple of iPhones in the past and briefly my usage increased but soon got bored of the games etc and could have used the 2 gig plan easily.

Will see I guess. Trouble is that for all their faults Berry's are so damned good at communicating and that is my primary use of a phone so think I may stay put after all.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i was in a similar boat i ahve used numerous android and blackbeeries but was an iphone user for a while since i travelled for work and needed it for entertainment but have since been promotoed and am now in the office full time so my needs changed and was torn between another android device or blackberry and i chose android solely because you can do soo much more with it.

devies ive used:(blackberry curve 8330, storm 9530, tour 9630, bold 9000, curve 8520, android htc icnredible, droid x, droid 2, samsung fascinate, original droid, mytouch 3g. wp7 htc surround, iphone 3g, 3gs, 4.) i have used all of these and they all hae their uses pending your needs.

Kromen

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
In my first month, I used 189 mb. I have wi-fi at home and most of the places I hang out has wi-fi hot spots. I use it for google maps, smartmob, and yelp. I do check my updates on my FB and occasionally look at certain Youtube videos. I don't stream radio because I have hundred of songs already downloaded to my sd card. I have the 2GB plan, but I'll give it another month to see if I can pass 200MB before downgrading.

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else, but I have a weather widget, use last.fm, some navigation, tons of google searches, and FB, and also FML. I maybe use 400mb/month. Most I used was 900mb, but I streamed alot of music that month. I even have my email, weather, FB, etc, to update every hour. So it stays synced pretty well.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You will burn a lot more data on an Android phone vs. a BB. If you are that close to your cap on your BB, you WILL go over on an Android.

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd agree with lorague, with pretty much no difference in usage, I never broke the 200mb on my BB 9000, but average just over 300mb on my cappy.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
For comparison, I use mine for email syncing with gmail. I send/receive about 30 emails/day. Weather widget set 1x/hr, surf the web about 30 mins/day. I have wifi at home (about 12 hrs/day). I don't stream music or do much downloading of stuff. With that use I barely can break 100MB/month. I pay for the 2GB only because I get the 25% FAN discount, so it's barely more than what it costs for the 200MB/month. Conclusion is if you use wifi at home or office 200MB seems like its more than sufficient