Battery Temp

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So I have noticed on occasion that my battery gets quite hot when charging. As high as 125.5?F. Concerned for the impact on my battery and that I may have a bad one, I contacted Samsung via twitter, since my wife has a nexus S I included it in the question.

@GalaxySsupport what is the maximum operating and charging temp the battery should reach for the batteries in Captivate and Nexus S
Their Response;

GalaxySsupport: @rahlquist A reasonable amount of warmth is to be expected, but we cannot speculate as to what exact temperature it should reach. ^Mary

For goodness sake they cant even tell me the specs for their own battery? I mean come on I just want to know if I have a problem or at what temp I would have one. And this is what Samsung keeps touting as a social media success story? WT&

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That's probably some what normal for charging, especially if the climate is hot where you live but it does sound kind of high. I would keep an eye on it though. I believe its 130F before the phone shuts off. My phone never goes over 100 but I've read stories of people using there GPS with the phone plugged into the car and it hitting 120.
You may want to look into that further.... that's all the info I have if it helps.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What they're trying to say is - Only you can diagnose how much heat is too much, since you're the one experiencing it. We all know that batteries can get a little warm during charging, especially if streaming videos, music, are using the phone overall. If you're experiencing excessive heat from the phone while charging, you should stop charging the device.. remove the battery and let the phone cool down. If problem persists then make arrangements for either a new battery, or take the device in for a diagnostic test. You may either have a defective device, or a bad battery.

Best of luck.

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
What they're trying to say is - Only you can diagnose how much heat is too much, since you're the one experiencing it.
Well thats why I wanted them to give me some specs on the battery. Typically when batteries are charged outside their normal specs it can lead to damaging them and/or lessening of their ability to hold a charge. Since the phone can report the temp down to a tenth of a degree one would think Samsung could provide this information.

They want to RMA the phone, 2 days shipped to them at their cost, 2 business days in their possession and 2 days return. So 6 days without the phone

or they could just answer my question.

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Max charging temps vary from manufacture to manufacture, for Li-on 1500 batteries you can find max charging temps from 110 to 140 F (and beyond.) Also, most batteries have temp ranges for not only Charge Rate, but Draw Rates and will have a small range for optimal charging temps, usually room temperature.

That's why it's hard to get specs for what is the norm.

My guess, and it is just my guess, at 125+ I'd take advantage of the RMA. I normally charge my phone through my computer via the usb cable and can feel no difference in temperature when it's charging or not. Just FYI.

HTH

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They want to RMA the phone, 2 days shipped to them at their cost, 2 business days in their possession and 2 days return. So 6 days without the phone
Shoot.. that's a lot faster than what HTC does. Try two weeks without your phone. I diagnose the problem and find a solution. ;)

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
. . . just so you know, I RMA'd my phone to Samsung for the sleep/off problem and from the day it was sent to the day it came back was six days!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX