Random freezing and lagging

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I am running my Captivate totally stock (with the exception of apps I've installed of course) and I have run into a ridiculously aggravating problem.

Randomly (with more and more frequency the last 2 days) the phone will freeze/black screen/vigorously lag for seemingly no reason. It will also give me a "SD Card scanning" or "media scanning" message. In the last 2 or 3 days I have uninstalled numerous apps (including Dolphin Browser HD) thinking they weren't playing nice with the phone hoping that would clean up my problem, so far it has not. The only OTHER thing I could possibly thing it would be is the micro-SD card I have in the phone...but I have no idea. I have a friend/co-worker who is a former Android user who says this behavior and aggravation is the norm for Android but I don't want to believe him...I like to think he's an iPhone user who just had a bad experience when he was using an Android. But the more this happens the more I start to think maybe he's right.

When the phone is working I love it, but when it does this crap I want to throw it repeatedly into a wall until it turns to dust. I want...no...I NEED a phone that will work the way it's supposed to work. I have neither the patience or the time for a phone that is constantly locking up and crapping out.

That said, I am (obviously) a TOTAL Android noob...I know NOTHING about 'kernels' or any of that. But I am a total fanboy for Google products, so having an Android based phone just makes sense for me.

Anyway, please, if any of you are willing to try and help me with this keep it simple, because a lot of the discussions in these forums go flying right over my head lol...

Thanks.

:EDIT:
Found this after some digging...post #23...wondering if this might be my problem...
http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-captivate/31238-captivate-self-shut-down-fix-3.html#post507291

Last edited:

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
What you are describing does not sound like the self shut off, the shut off is just that when the screen goes into sleep mode the phone shuts itself off.

I would try, first, shutting the phone off, removing the 'External SD Card' that's the one you put in, removing your SIM Card and the battery.

Then put the battery and SIM Card back in making sure the SIM is placed in correctly. Then start you phone back up and see if it does the stuff you say your phone is doing. If it does you may want to return the phone.

You will probably also have to reconnect to google after removing the battery.

Reactions: JoshuaExline

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, 3dgm. I did this just now, so, we'll see if performance gets better today at work.

I talked to AT&T last night and they said my phone may have the known issue talked about in the post I linked in my OP (my IMEI number falls into the range)...so that combined with me still being in my '30 Day Window' gives me the option of taking the phone back and getting a replacement OR trading it for the Inspire 4G (which I am leaning hard towards doing...2.2 out of the box, the 8 megapixel camera with flash and a few of the other bells and whistles are might appealing)

:EDIT:
Nope...didn't work. Problem still persists. I'll be taking this one back to the brick and mortar AT&T store tomorrow and proceeding from there.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Delete the thumbnails folder from your media folder. I have heard that the thumbnails can go nuts sometimes and cause the media scanner to likewise go nuts.

Grass is greener syndrome. At least you can hold your phone any way you please.

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So, I think I have solved my problem. I undocked my SD card and now everything seems to be working great.

Still planning on trading for the Inspire tomorrow though lol